Author Topic: How do you get the paint work to look good  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Newitt

• Not said much yet
How do you get the paint work to look good
« on: 24 February 2010, 20:58 »
Hi,
Tried Tee cut on the paint work on my 96 GTI, but cant seem to get the paint work back to a nice deep shine, or get rid of stains from the birds that have C**ped all over the roof and bonnet last summer.
Is there anything i can get from a motor factors, halfords that actual works?

Cheers

Offline spunkymonkey

• I live here
  • Tepidly moist! That's what that is!
Re: How do you get the paint work to look good
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2010, 21:16 »
Tcut only works in adverts from the eighties.

You need some proper cutting compound, 3m etc and a machine polisher. Its the best way but not the easiest, and not for inexperienced.

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2010, 21:29 »
Auto glym paint renovator + some elbow grease

Absolutely swear by the stuff
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline Newitt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2010, 21:45 »
Cheers Fellas, body works in good nick (for its age), just needs bringing back to life, i'll give the autoglum a go at the weekend,

Thanks again

Offline naturn007

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2010, 22:24 »
Have a look in the detailing section, I got some great advice in there.  Many people in the detailing section do not rate Autoglym, as I found out!!

They will give you more advice on what products to use. :smiley:

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2010, 02:13 »
take a look at the guide and faq stickys at the top of the detailing forum and have a good read dude :wink:

waxamomo will sort you with all the equipment you could possibly need, dont waist your dosh in halfords, Autoglym products are over priced and pants tbh,theres much better products out there that will do a much better job.

sounds like the bird crap has burnt your paint or clearcoat if its metallic paint, the only way to improve or remove them is with a rotory machine polisher and pad and compound combo but id recomend you get someone with experience to do this if you have none yourself

anyway!!! have a read and come back to us with any questions you have, more than happy to help :wink:
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2010, 09:38 »
wot he said /\  :wink:

Offline Newitt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2010, 21:14 »
Cars been sat outside the house for a couple of years while i've been in Oz, paint work took a bit of a knock, bird c**p,tree sap etc, jet washed but the shine that was there before, has all but gone.Used teecut, didnt work, so need some help to bring it back to life, never used a electric buffer so dont fancy that, dont mind a a few hrs graft throu. Car needs to be sorted getting to much grief of the missus to get rid of it, but i've had it for 13 years and dont see the point as its as good as any car i've driven including brand new cars in Oz, and UK.
So any help at minimum cost would be great (work getting rid of people this week)

Cheers

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2010, 23:07 »
Cars been sat outside the house for a couple of years while i've been in Oz, paint work took a bit of a knock, bird c**p,tree sap etc, jet washed but the shine that was there before, has all but gone.Used teecut, didnt work, so need some help to bring it back to life, never used a electric buffer so dont fancy that, dont mind a a few hrs graft throu. Car needs to be sorted getting to much grief of the missus to get rid of it, but i've had it for 13 years and dont see the point as its as good as any car i've driven including brand new cars in Oz, and UK.
So any help at minimum cost would be great (work getting rid of people this week)

Cheers

:lipsrsealed:

Cleaning/Detailing Explained - Clicky
« Last Edit: 25 February 2010, 23:09 by Guy »