Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 554536 times)

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1140 on: 19 June 2017, 22:49 »
Wow!  Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!  That tailpipe.  :cool:

They don't look like normal mineral deposits to me, though that is where the water would pool  Try a bit of white vinegar on them and see if they budge.  Also try claying them. 

Great pics.

Thanks for your reply Rebecca.

I won't get round to washing it for another couple of weeks so I'll try your suggestions. Failing that I'll inspect all four alloys and possibly send it into the stealers to request replacements.

The only thing that has touched them is tap water, snow foam, tardis and fallout remover. The latter two were rinsed thoroughly away and were not left to dry, even so I shouldn't imagine that they would leave such a mark that almost resembles scratches.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #1141 on: 20 June 2017, 09:20 »

They don't look like normal mineral deposits to me, though that is where the water would pool  Try a bit of white vinegar on them and see if they budge.  Also try claying them. 

Great pics.

I won't get round to washing it for another couple of weeks so I'll try your suggestions. Failing that I'll inspect all four alloys and possibly send it into the stealers to request replacements.

The only thing that has touched them is tap water, snow foam, tardis and fallout remover. The latter two were rinsed thoroughly away and were not left to dry, even so I shouldn't imagine that they would leave such a mark that almost resembles scratches.

I'd get it to the dealer asap, the longer you leave it the more chance of them saying 'it wasn't like that when you picked it up'
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #1142 on: 20 June 2017, 20:50 »

Great pics.

I'd get it to the dealer asap, the longer you leave it the more chance of them saying 'it wasn't like that when you picked it up'

I'll give all four alloys a good clean this weekend, inspect them all thoroughly, try Rebecca's suggestion and then go from there. If I have no joy then I'll book it in. I picked it up dirty so they didn't touch it at all, I'm not sure if that will go in my favour.

I'm not trying to pull a fast one with them though, if I have inflicted it somehow I would hold my hands up and live with it. I just can't imagine how on earth I could have done it.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #1143 on: 21 June 2017, 12:07 »
Congrats Heptonstall on a job well done looks spot on :grin:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1144 on: 22 June 2017, 07:26 »
Coming from a man who's just managed to put a small swirl mark on his recently professionally detailed Gti I don't trust myself with a DA polisher  :rolleyes: seriously nice job Hepton well done and also Hog your car looks great, good luck with the alloys  :wink:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1145 on: 22 June 2017, 09:38 »
Coming from a man who's just managed to put a small swirl mark on his recently professionally detailed Gti I don't trust myself with a DA polisher  :rolleyes: seriously nice job Hepton well done and also Hog your car looks great, good luck with the alloys  :wink:

But the DA will get the swirl mark out, lol. I wouldn't beat yourself up about the swirl mark you inflicted - why do you think we all use DA's.  :wink: :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1146 on: 22 June 2017, 18:09 »

But the DA will get the swirl mark out, lol. I wouldn't beat yourself up about the swirl mark you inflicted - why do you think we all use DA's.  :wink: :laugh:

Its just that I envisage there being no paint left to swirl after me being let loose with one!  :grin: my self inflicted swirl mark was done after I'd spotted where my hand had been casually resting whilst filling up earlier in day on edge of roof spoiler, I just grabbed a cloth (probably more like t-shirt material than a decent microfibre!) and thought I'd quickly remove it..... :whistle:

Since joining the forum I have bought some gear from WoWo which included some mf cloths so I have no defence

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1147 on: 22 June 2017, 18:48 »

Its just that I envisage there being no paint left to swirl after me being let loose with one!  :grin: my self inflicted swirl mark was done after I'd spotted where my hand had been casually resting whilst filling up earlier in day on edge of roof spoiler, I just grabbed a cloth (probably more like t-shirt material than a decent microfibre!) and thought I'd quickly remove it..... :whistle:

Since joining the forum I have bought some gear from WoWo which included some mf cloths so I have no defence

The paintwork is so easily marked, if you use anything other than kitten's breath to remove marks, it swirls.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1148 on: 22 June 2017, 19:24 »
Thanks Rebecca, I think in future if I spot anything other than bird poop on it then I'll leave it until I wash the car, probably safer, either that or a quick spray of a detailer with a good mf?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1149 on: 23 June 2017, 13:12 »
Just a quick maintenance wash today to get rid of the summer pollen, bug splatter and some other crap left behind from yesterday’s storm.  As always the 2-step pre-wash did all the hard work leaving very little for the bucket wash.

Summer grime

ValetPro Advanced Snow Foam

Quickie action vid pressure rinsing the snow foam off.  Removed a fair amount of the grime.  And good to see the Swissvax Oryx wax showing its value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Hh3Qf_22I

Quickie action vid applying ValetPro Citrus Pre-wash via snow foam lance (not quite as fluid a technique as usual, as hard holding an iphone in one hand and controlling pressure washer and lance with the other, lol). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzkXY2qbQeQ

Followed by quick bucket wash, dry, polish tailpipes and dress tyres.

All done.

Yes the hubs still need painting, and I missed a little spot near the bolt cover but sorted now. Off to go give it a drink of V Power.....

In its natural habitat - at the watering hole....

« Last Edit: 23 June 2017, 14:29 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual