Author Topic: New GTI owner  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Greenie222

• Just got here
New GTI owner
« on: 14 April 2023, 05:15 »
Hi Everyone,
My name is Mark and I am by no means clued up when it comes to cars but I have just become the owner of my first MK6GTI. I had a MK5 GT TDI and it served me well for 10 years but there came a point where numerous issues came one after another and she had to go. I travel approx 10 miles a day to work and back and my Brothers (who are more car savvy than me) said that it would prove more beneficial for me to go petrol - dpf filters, cost of diesel etc etc
Here is my question for you all - is it just my car or are they renowned for guzzling petrol? I have been driving it sensibly for over a week now, steering well clear of “hooligan mode” and all I can see every few minutes is the fuel needle moving backwards!!!! Surely this can’t be right, I know it’s a 2.0l petrol car but it can’t be this thirsty can it?
The engine management light came on the dash last week and I returned it to the garage where I purchased it from. They plugged it into diagnostics and it stated that it was running fuel rich, not gonna lie I was ecstatic as I thought this was the reason for sudden loss of fuel but after diving it for a few days after it has not really made much of a difference. The average consumption driving on normal roads is 32-35mpg and on motorway it has reached 43mpg, but I don’t know if these computer generated readings I’m being given are true?
Are the readings I have reflective of normal consumption? With the distance I travel have I made the right choice in going with a petrol car?
Any thoughts and comments would be gratefully received
Kindest regards,
Mark

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
Re: New GTI owner
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2023, 07:33 »
The miles per gallon you are getting is quite good. Mid 30's is what I'm getting from my R.
I would be interested to know what the garage did to rectify the rich running?
You may find you get a few extra mpg by using good super petrol. I like the shell super.
I never use E10 at all.
To check your computer, zero the trip, do a brim to brim test and use a calculator to work out the exact mpg by dividing gallons by miles. Mine is very accurate.

Offline GTIPPKEV

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2023, 09:56 »
All sounds pretty normal to me. If anything better than most will be getting.

Just the difference from going from Diesel to Petrol i am afraid but you don't do a lot of miles by the sounds of things so will probably only be costing you £20 extra a month maybe to run a much nicer car.

Enjoy it. It is what it is 👍

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2023, 10:07 »
@Greenie222; welcome to the forum.

You could try manually calculating your fuel consumption over a period of a few months and a number of tank fill ups. That’ll help you determine whether or not the car’s fuel computer’s mpg calculation is accurate or not and if it isn’t, the manually calculated figure should be pretty accurate over a longer period of time. If much of your driving is 10 mile journeys, then bear in mind that your car’s engine won’t be fully warmed up for maybe up to half of that journey distance, and mpg will always suffer on a cold engine. However, I’d say that what you’re seeing mpg-wise is probably within the limits of what you’d expect.

Below are VW’s ‘official’ fuel consumption figures for the mk6 GTI from the December 2010 brochure. Bear in mind that the official figures tend to be somewhat optimistic and are rarely - if ever - achieved in normal day to day driving. Link to the brochure; https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/pdf/brochures/golf-vi-brochure.pdf

It might be worth checking your tyre pressures to ensure they’re inflated to the correct pressure; under-inflated tyres can have an adverse impact on mpg. Also, if you’re carrying any unnecessary ‘baggage’ in your car that’s adding weight, then it’d be worth removing it. 

I don’t have a mk6 Golf GTI but by way of comparison, in my 2020 Polo GTI+ (EA888 gen 3b 2.0 litre 197bhp engine) with DSG transmission I usually see low to mid 30’s mpg when driving around town. On longer ‘A’ road journeys (which is most of my driving) and just going with the flow of the traffic, which is the norm at the times of day I’m usually driving because of the traffic conditions, my mpg is mid 40’s on those journeys. I rarely do any motorway driving these days.

Overall, my long term average fuel consumption is around 41 - 42 mpg.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2023, 10:19 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2023, 11:51 »
average consumption driving on normal roads is 32-35mpg and on motorway it has reached 43mpg, but I don’t know if these computer generated readings I’m being given are true?
Are the readings I have reflective of normal consumption? With the distance I travel have I made the right choice in going with a petrol car?
Any thoughts and comments would be gratefully received
Kindest regards,
Mark
Others above have said how to work it out brim to brim so I won't  repeat it.
What I will say is what the computer figures you quoted is about right for the model to actually do.
I've had mine over a decade and 33 is my actual daily commuter average over 14 miles each way worked out brim to brim.
43 on Motorway is about right too.
I also own a TDI leon which is the same as a mk4 golf GT1.9 TDI130 and to be honest there's not much difference using it day to day in actual cost due to fuel price. Short trips seem to kill the tdi average when actually worked out.

Best to do a brim to brim fuel consumption test and see what it's actually mpg is.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2023, 12:09 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Greenie222

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2023, 17:34 »
Thanks so much for all your helpful comments, I really love the car and don't think I would find one as nice to drive using diesel.  Maybe it's just a shock to me that im used to seeing the needle on the gauge staying static for a few days with my gt tdi. Again thanks so much, very helpful, keep safe everyone 👍🏻

Offline Greenie222

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2023, 17:36 »
Does using a more premium fuel make that much of a difference?

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2023, 17:36 »
Hi @Greenie222

Congrats on your Mk6. Your fuel economy numbers look about right to me.  I've had my manual Mk6 since 2013 and driven over 175k miles in it.  Over all those miles my average fuel economy is 34.4 MPG.

Similar to those who've already posted on this, around town I get low to mid 30s, on longer dual carriageway/motorway runs anywhere between 38 to 42 MPG (dependant on driving style  :whistle:).  The car's had super unleaded for most of my ownership, either BP Ultimate 97 or Shell V-Power.

I use an app called Road Trip and have logged every fill up since I bought the car (rod for my own back now as I don't want to break the cycle :grin:).  I basically fill the car until the petrol pump cuts out the first time.  I've found the car's trip computer is fairly accurate.
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Greenie222

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2023, 17:40 »
Tractor Dave - they just reset all the settings. They said that it had been stationary on the forecourt so this could have been the reason why. How long does it take after a reset to start giving accurate readings?

Offline Greenie222

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2023, 17:43 »
Thanks Bluto