Author Topic: Roof Head Liner  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
Roof Head Liner
« on: 27 January 2023, 20:15 »
Thought I'd share some of the pics from replacing the roof head liner in my 2009 GTI. 

This is not a how to guide, but I thought that it may help other people see where the Mk6's side airbags start and finish if they're running cables etc. show where the foam blocks are on the head liner. Which is handy if like me you have a rear dash cam and have routed its cable to the front of the car on top of the liner.  Or if you're just curious as to what a Mk6 looks like with no roof liner.  :whistle:

Why did I do it, well the liner's fabric had started to detach just above where the sunglasses holder is at the front of the liner.  An initial attempt at using fabric contact adhesive to rectify the issue made it, well just worse and the repair looked awful.

So decided to bite the bullet and get a new liner.  It also meant I could finally properly torque up the aftermarket DAB/GPS/FM sharkfin aerial I'd installed a while ago.  Was always concerned it wasn't tight enough and may let water in, but at the time I didn't want to over tighten and dent my roof!  For that aerial installation I just dropped the rear section of liner and had to 'guess' 4 Nm with a smaller socket set that would fit in the space available.

First problem was the size of box it came it at the dealer, no way that was fitting in the car.  Secondly how to fit something in that's the size of the interior it's meant to replace.  After taking it out of its box, help from the parts chap and some gentle persuasion I managed to fit the liner in. Shut the boot and drove home with it 1 cm from my head.  Had this resulted in epic fail, my next plan was to ask for a test drive in a new VW Transporter  :grin:

So getting the old one out did mean removing the B-pillar upper trim, loosening the upper A-pillar and C-Pillar trim and removing all sun visors, handles, front reading light plastic section etc. But it came out.

Didn't come with the wiring for the lights so had to transfer the old loom on to the new using some of the still sticky tape of the original loom, plus some new blue 3M masking tape.

Also the new liner didn't have the u-section precut out for the rear view mirror's plastic trunking.  I checked with the dealership and was told "nope that's how they come".  :shocked:  So that was a nervous moment having to take a stanley knife to a brand new liner.

Car then looked rather Mad Max with no liner, but meant I could finally get my Sharkfin aerial torqued up (my guess was way off). It also gave me the opportunity to tidy up some cable routing for my dashcams, and aftermarket handsfree microphone cabling.

The black plastic clip next to the A-pillar trim, that holds the connector for the vanity light in the sun visor.  Was a little tricky to release the connectors from it with the head liner in the way.

Wooden sound deadening on display.

Lots of side airbags everywhere.

The infamous Sharkfin aerial nut location in the below pic, now to the correct torque and no dented roof or risk of water ingress.

Putting back together wasn't too bad, just fiddly getting it lined up and the reading lights in.  Ended up taking the lower section of the B-Pillar trim off. As trying to get the upper section of the B-Pillar trim back on and align with the seat belt height adjuster slider was a pig - many curse words were said!

Happy with the result. Had to replace most of the pillar trim covers that say "Airbag" as they generally break when you remove them.

Should last another 14 years by which point the Mk8 "may" have arrived...

« Last Edit: 28 January 2023, 08:31 by Bluto »
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Roof Head Liner
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2023, 07:08 »
Nice  :cool:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2023, 08:19 »
Interesting read👍
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2023, 13:47 »
Well done! I think with any job such as this, taking your time is key to a successful result.

I dread to think what a VW dealer would charge to remove old and fit new headliner :shocked:. It’s probably one of the jobs they’d quote a stratospheric price to do (because they wouldn’t really want to do it) in the hope the customer would go elsewhere.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline JSYGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2023, 09:43 »
If you don’t mind me asking m how much was the headliner?

Mine was also sagging in the same area but I managed to get this from Amazon for £110 and worked perfectly for my situation.

I’m not sure it’ll be a long term fix, I full expect to be buying a headliner in the future  :cry:

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2023, 12:32 »
@Snoopy, thanks, yeah I'm happy with the result.  The fact that once I knew the roofliner droop was there, my eye was drawn to it on every journey, and it was only going to get worse.

@Adam T7
, thanks for reading, sorry there was no plot twist at the end. Just pics of my old Mk6  :grin:

@SRGTD, yeah this was started early on a sunny Saturday morning. Giving me the whole weekend just in case it threw up some extra challenges - and extra swearing.  I think you're absolutely right that dealer workshop labour would have been rather eyewatering to do this job, even with service plan discount.  I appreciate an independent garage would be cheaper.

Considering it took me about a day to do on my own (albeit with a fair amount of tea breaks and tidying my dashcam cabling etc).  Would imagine that it would have taken a garage a minimum of half a day?? 

I'd taken various bits of my car's interior trim off in the past for various things, so thought I'd be able to tackle this job as long as I gave myself enough time.  Plus having read bits of the workshop manual that gave me a bit more confidence to go for it.

@JSYGTI, yes I did look into that repair kit.  But the look of extra plastic trim used to cover over the offending sagging areas didn't quite fit with me knowing how it used to look.  I did enquire about getting the fabric re-upholstered on the liner, but some advice I received from someone who'd done that with all the right glues etc. Said that it eventually started to sag again.  So I didn't want to have the whole roof lining sagging 3 to 6 months down the line and probably having to buy a new liner in the end.

I did look on eBay for a second hand one, but always had the concern I may get one that was actually in worse condition than my original.

Yes of course JYSGTI  :smiley:, you may want to be sat down though as this may influence your thoughts on doing this  :rolleyes:, the price I paid for my replacement headliner with service plan discount was £501.20 including VAT.

Some may think I'm mad spending that amount on my old Mk6 especially as I've a Mk8 on order - though I personally think that is vapourware due to the constant delays.  But the Mk6 is my pride and joy, so at least I know it's fixed now for the next 14 years and when I come to sell it on it's not going to be a price 'haggle' point.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2023, 12:36 by Bluto »
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2023, 14:05 »
I would be exactly the same and have to swallow the 500 quid cost.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.