Author Topic: Are there any problems when mapping to stage 1? im looking at going to Rtech  (Read 2621 times)

Offline CYPRUSSPARTAN

• Just got here
Hey guys, im looking at going to Rtech to get a stage 1 map but something within me just doesnt feel right taking my car to be mapped at all. I personally feel that maybe the MK6 GTI engines cant take too much more power or if they can I will have issues later down the line.

Any thoughts?

Offline Eighteen88

• Not said much yet
R-Tech are one of the most reputable tuning companies on the go, if you’ve doubts about using them you quite clearly wanna just forget it!!!

As for can the GTI engine handle a stage 1 remap….that’s just mind blowing!!! :laugh:
« Last Edit: 30 August 2022, 21:22 by Eighteen88 »
Milltek Non Resonated Cat-Back exhaust “edition 35”, Forge PCV Delete, APR Stage 1 Remap & APR DSG Remap, Volkswagen racing intake, Volkswagen racingline sport springs, Audi R8 Coil Pack, GFB DV+

Offline CYPRUSSPARTAN

• Just got here
R-Tech are one of the most reputable tuning companies on the go, if you’ve doubts about using them you quite clearly wanna just forget it!!!

As for can the GTI engine handle a stage 1 remap….that’s just mind blowing!!! :laugh:

Im all new to this and haven't come across many mapped MK6 GTI's, I've come across 2 and they had issues when tuned

Offline joe6

• I live here
Common issues are spark plugs and coils failing. Manual cars are prone to clutch failure after a while. Other engines problems are  not common provided the timing chain and tensioner is the most recent - 2012 year or later or have been changed. Carbon build up on inlet valves is an issue on all this generation of engines. These cars are getting on a bit now and may not have always been well treated so checks and a bit of caution is sensible.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline CYPRUSSPARTAN

• Just got here
Common issues are spark plugs and coils failing. Manual cars are prone to clutch failure after a while. Other engines problems are  not common provided the timing chain and tensioner is the most recent - 2012 year or later or have been changed. Carbon build up on inlet valves is an issue on all this generation of engines. These cars are getting on a bit now and may not have always been well treated so checks and a bit of caution is sensible.

Cheers mate! Much appreciated. Would you say mapping a car on 90k miles is ok?

Offline joe6

• I live here
Can probably cope with a mild tune but I would not go mad. Checks such as oil pressure and compression would give you some idea of engine state. Mine has 95k and a new dmf and uprated clutch and had it from new so know the car well (oil and filter changes every 6 months) but personally too old to be bothered about being first away at the lights anymore. :smiley:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline CYPRUSSPARTAN

• Just got here
Can probably cope with a mild tune but I would not go mad. Checks such as oil pressure and compression would give you some idea of engine state. Mine has 95k and a new dmf and uprated clutch and had it from new so know the car well (oil and filter changes every 6 months) but personally too old to be bothered about being first away at the lights anymore. :smiley:

Thanks for the response mate much appreciated. I've recently had a Helix and Sachs fly wheel and clutch installed ready for a stage 1 map but then had a few issues which are now resolved. Im at the point now where I dont know what to do anymore

Offline joe6

• I live here
As Colin McCrae said ' if in doubt flat out'.  :smiley: You need to decide- heart or head whether to map or not in the end.

Offline CYPRUSSPARTAN

• Just got here
As Colin McCrae said ' if in doubt flat out'.  :smiley: You need to decide- heart or head whether to map or not in the end.

hahah cheers mate, what would you do? would you map it at 90k miles?

Offline JSYGTI

• Not said much yet
If the car/engine is mechanically sound, just go for it. People have tuned cars with much higher miles on the clock.