Author Topic: Rattle / vibration from under the dash anyone?  (Read 5583 times)

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
Rattle / vibration from under the dash anyone?
« on: 15 November 2021, 11:08 »
Less than 3k on the clock, and my CS has developed an annoying vibrating rattle, which appears to be coming from the passenger side of the dash? Hard to pinpoint, as it sounds like a different area if you’re sat in that seat. Very noticeable now. I’m hesitant to take it in, as the thought of the dealer pulling the dash apart to find rattle will most likely introduce more, or mark it where they work on it. Anyone have similar issues?

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
Re: Rattle / vibration from under the dash anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2021, 16:57 »
Same issue, can’t work out where the hell it’s coming from. Might be the centre console but sounds higher up. I’ve been looking but only happens while driving so it’s difficult to tell.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2021, 17:30 »
Take a passenger out while you drive so they can listen for - and try to locate - the source of the unwanted noise. Alternatively, get someone else to drive while you do the listening / prodding of the trim.

The source of an unwanted noise in a car can be very deceptive, so don’t be surprised if it originates from somewhere completely different to where you think it does, hence why it’s best tackled by two people - one focusing on the driving and the other tracking down the noise.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2021, 21:29 »
Took mine into the dealer. They kept it overnight, as it mainly does it when cold. Sure enough, they heard it. Used tape on the glove box and radio, but it’s still doing it. I wonder if it could be the passenger door card. Very annoying - the MK7 was rattle free!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2021, 21:40 »
Took mine into the dealer. They kept it overnight, as it mainly does it when cold. Sure enough, they heard it. Used tape on the glove box and radio, but it’s still doing it. I wonder if it could be the passenger door card. Very annoying - the MK7 was rattle free!

As per my previous post (reply #2). Take a passenger with you and they can press on various parts of the passenger door card while you’re driving to see if applying pressure eliminates the unwanted noise. If it’s not the door card, then the passenger can do the same to other parts of the interior trim.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline GtiJames

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2021, 20:44 »
There is a common fault with the CS front suspension top mounts they can start squeaking and rattling, mine started doing at 6k on the clock, noise sounds like it’s coming from behind the dash. Mine went in last week and it’s due to be fixed early Jan when they get the parts in stock.

Might be worth asking them to check that before pulling the dash apart.

Offline Andy Gibbs

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 24 December 2021, 11:17 »
I would bite the bullet and give it the dealer to resolve. I feel the same about it being pulled apart. My last golf had the same issue. They pulled it apart and fixed it. It gave me sleepless nights!!!!!! I told them my concern on booking in. They did a fab job. I hand nothing to worry about.

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2022, 18:48 »
For the last few weeks I have had an annoying rhythmic/ticking sound, seemingly, coming from behind the glove box, around the NSF dashboard area of my GTI. No, it isn't a bomb, at least I don't think so!  :smiley:

On booking the car in, for this issue to be investigated, I suggested to the dealership that I thought the noise could  be related to the heater fan mechanism because of its rhythmic nature, even while stationary, and I said that it seemed to disappear when the car was properly warmed up. I don't think they believed me because it took them FIVE days to arrive at the same conclusion.

The dealership called me earlier today to say that they had isolated the problem and have now ordered a replacement NSF temperature control motor. I couldn't resist saying but I told you so, when I booked the car in 5 days ago!  :angry: Meantime, my car remains at the dealership and no doubt its dashboard is currently lying in bits somewhere, nearby. Perhaps, I should have just ignored the noise, eh?  :cry:

Update: Picked up my car this afternoon and all seems well. No rattles or clicking sounds on my journey home. So, it seems that I needn't have been concerned.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2022, 23:16 by Sniffer »
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2022, 12:01 »
Mine went back to the dealer overnight, before Christmas. They had the glovebox out and used some ‘anti rattle tape’ but it’s still there. Sounds to be more in the passenger door card area now.

It’s going back in next week to be looked at, along with a constant ‘front parking sensors not working, check if need cleaning’ and ‘manoeuvre braking unavailable’ multiple times every drive. The SOS and travel assist also pings multiple times, but never seems to get logged by the car, so dealer said it will be difficult to get VW to change the wheel and loom.

13mths ownership and not one drive without a fault is starting to wear thin

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 09 February 2022, 16:19 »
My passenger side “rattle” is back. Even though VW claimed the “rattle” was caused by the front passenger side brakes. I can’t for the bloody life of me work out where it’s coming from, I’ve annoyed the hell out of several passengers asking them to find it but we can’t. What fun.