Author Topic: Price increase coming 1st of December  (Read 5380 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Price increase coming 1st of December
« Reply #20 on: 12 November 2021, 21:48 »
Wow.... Simply wow  :shocked:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #21 on: 13 November 2021, 08:50 »
I just don’t see how the average Joe will afford these increases. I know price hikes are rife but salary increases aren’t. Fuel is at an all time high, as is energy. Shortly inflation will lead to interest rate rises and therefore a further squeeze on incomes.

And manufacturers think that when lead times are now 9-10 months, they’ll hike the price of leases too.
Im not the average Joe and dont change every few years for a new lease. But one of mine is over due a change so have looked the car market is an odd one at the moment and not knowing how income will pan out in the coming years Is also a worry.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 13 November 2021, 09:29 »
I just don’t see how the average Joe will afford these increases. I know price hikes are rife but salary increases aren’t. Fuel is at an all time high, as is energy. Shortly inflation will lead to interest rate rises and therefore a further squeeze on incomes.

And manufacturers think that when lead times are now 9-10 months, they’ll hike the price of leases too.
Im not the average Joe and dont change every few years for a new lease. But one of mine is over due a change so have looked the car market is an odd one at the moment and not knowing how income will pan out in the coming years Is also a worry.

Car inflation is ridiculous (and has been for 12 years the RRP of the runout MK5 Golf GTI in 2009 was £21k!). The only way that's been manageable was the introduction of big finance deposit contributions and expectation of decent discounts in conjunction with decent residuals so the depreciation you're covering usn't ridiculous.

I suppose in that respect, the average car is becoming like a tin of Heinz beans - a ridiculous RRP of a pound a can that no-one pays as they're always on offer. One day though, that offer could be pulled and all of a sudden you're paying a pound for your 60p tin of beans.

Not many people's wages have kept up with that rate of car inflation. I hadn't had a pay rise in 6 years before being pleasantly surprised to be getting a 6% raise the other day (only been in the current job 18 months, so no expectation of getting one last year).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 13 November 2021, 10:14 »
Both regulations and customer expectations drive additional technology... Everything from emissions control to safety systems to high end computing to drive infotainment... It doesn't come for free!

If you stripped it back to minimum... Well I am sure you could buy a 1.0 something that had bugger all on it, but...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 13 November 2021, 11:35 »
Both regulations and customer expectations drive additional technology... Everything from emissions control to safety systems to high end computing to drive infotainment... It doesn't come for free!

If you stripped it back to minimum... Well I am sure you could buy a 1.0 something that had bugger all on it, but...

Relatively speaking though, technology is cheap these days. 21" colour TV used to be upwards of £500 in the 70s, an absolute fortune back then. You see the tech that can be bought on Aliexpress for coppers and you wonder how much less a company the size of VW must be buying it for. Advances in mass manufacture and automation  make this stuff pretty cheap. I wonder how much the profit margins have changed on a mass produced car?

Back in 1997 when I was working at Ford Southampton  that pretty inefficient plant used to bang out a high spec Transit Tourneo minibus for £7200. They used to sell for about £21000 at that time. The nearest equivalent now has an RRP of about £55k.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 13 November 2021, 17:53 »
If you have a car already on order, but haven’t had the build date confirmed by the factory yet (most probably some months away)  does the price go up even though the price was already negotiated with the dealer before placing a deposit ?

As Evo said. If you ordered through a main dealer you should be fine. I ordered a car through a broker last year with a substantial discount and the order was also initially accepted by the manufacturer too.
Within a few weeks though my order was cancelled by the manufacturer and I was told the reason was they had pulled all B2B deals to “preserve the supply of cars for the dealer network” I think that was code for we are not making enough money out of your deal so do one!!
This was just as we came out of the first lockdown before semi conductor shortages kicked in too.
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 13 November 2021, 18:08 »
Just been advised by DTD a new Club sport would arrive in October 2022 :lipsrsealed:

MK7 GTi

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 13 November 2021, 18:58 »
JB GTI - what's a "BTB deal" and which broker did you order through?

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 14 November 2021, 00:55 »
So are people just getting unconfirmed build dates at the moment that keep moving?

What options seem to holding up cars more?

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 14 November 2021, 03:49 »
JB GTI - what's a "BTB deal" and which broker did you order through?

It was Autoebid. B2B is just broker to manufacturer I.e cutting out the dealer network
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA