Author Topic: Keyfob Cloning  (Read 1071 times)

Offline ReubenGTI17

• Just got here
Keyfob Cloning
« on: 30 January 2023, 20:01 »
Hi, I am slightly worried about the amount of keyfob cloning in my local area.
I have a 2017 Golf GTI. Reading online it seems that it's the cars that unlock when the key is near that are at risk.

Do I have anything to be worried about with a keyfob that you have to press to unlock.

Cheers

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: Keyfob Cloning
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2023, 10:57 »
Same level as cars before keyless entry, so if they take your key they've got your car.

Only the keyless were at a big risk, either way if they want it badly enough they'll get it might as well give them the key and stay safe, that's what insurance is for.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2023, 08:39 »
Keyfob cloning is a bit old skool and won't work with your 2017 Golf.

As you say, keyless entry is the main attack vector and that is a problem for Mk7's if they have keyless entry. Turn it off if you have it.

On the Mk8 they have a newer system that isn't vulnerable to the keyless relay attack.

I've written loads about both things on here, have a search.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2023, 09:40 »
Probably been stated elsewhere. Keyless entry on late mk7.5 (not sure of the date) can be disabled by locking with the key fob and within 5 seconds touching the door handle.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.