Author Topic: Can you use OBDeleven to tell how often the VAQ has engaged?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: Can you use OBDeleven to tell how often the VAQ has engaged?
« Reply #10 on: 03 November 2021, 12:44 »
As far as I know all wet-clutch DSG's are 40K, I wouldn't let it go longer as potentially you'll see issues and it's not that expensive compared to a new mechatronics unit!

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 03 November 2021, 13:19 »

Depends on the gearbox revision. Briskoda had this discussion with gearboxes.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/482244-dq381-service-intervals/

and with regard to the VAQ Diff, AwesomeGTI recommend 20k if you're an aggressive driver or 30k miles if you're normal. Interesting they don't specify a time interval, but given most of us will be doing around 6-10k miles a year, you could probably say 3/4 years.

https://www.awesomegti.com/haldex-vaq-front-differential-service-kit/

« Last Edit: 03 November 2021, 13:26 by willni »
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 03 November 2021, 15:38 »
This is all interesting....

So we have the DQ381 fitted to the PP's, by the looks of things it's 80K and 'fluid only' and this box uses a different part number fluid to all of the others.

Oddly you would have thought that it should be the other way around and the 'hard' driven cars would have the shorter service time.

Having had a DSG in my previous Mk5 for 14 years I was used to a service every 40K!

To me this just highlights the downside of not having a physical handbook anymore listing the schedules, I guess I'll ask at my year three service next March.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Coolhandluke

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 03 November 2021, 16:35 »
Like you I was used to having the DSG serviced  every 40,000 in my MK5 so was surprised when the dealer mentioned it was 80,000 in my PP.
If that's what they are saying I'll probably go with that.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 03 November 2021, 20:04 »
To me this just highlights the downside of not having a physical handbook anymore listing the schedules, I guess I'll ask at my year three service next March.

Even a digital handbook in the car through the radio would be handier like those in modern BMW/Minis that tell you oil, coolant, brake fluid and brake pad life expectancy.

Rather than one you have to go to a dealership and get printed off
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 03 November 2021, 20:48 »
and with regard to the VAQ Diff, AwesomeGTI recommend 20k if you're an aggressive driver or 30k miles if you're normal. Interesting they don't specify a time interval, but given most of us will be doing around 6-10k miles a year, you could probably say 3/4 years.

I would think usage/ mileage much more important than time. These oils don’t degrade over time.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #16 on: 03 November 2021, 20:57 »

Even a digital handbook in the car through the radio would be handier like those in modern BMW/Minis that tell you oil, coolant, brake fluid and brake pad life expectancy.

It's on the mk8...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2021, 20:58 »
Like you I was used to having the DSG serviced  every 40,000 in my MK5 so was surprised when the dealer mentioned it was 80,000 in my PP.
If that's what they are saying I'll probably go with that.

I would. Essentially they’re either saying that

-It’s very unlikely to fail ( and experience has shown that, so let’s increase the service interval)

Or

-Changing the oil makes no difference to whether it does or not.

Interestingly, my 1988 205 GTi service handbook states , for gearbox oil - “ no oil change “

They probably didn’t expect the car to survive 30 years when they wrote that handbook, so I changed the oil last year!

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 03 November 2021, 21:36 »
I would think usage/ mileage much more important than time. These oils don’t degrade over time.

Saw a post earlier on that said "Volkswagen state a 30k/3 year service interval for the VAQ diff", if I find it again I'll post it.

It's on the mk8...

Never mind if we have to forgo buttons for a car based service book, I'll buy a ring binder  :grin:

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 03 November 2021, 22:38 »

Vwvortex site has a quote from a vw maintenance manual from 2015 stating 3 years for gti pp but I agree with you that mileage is probably more important and type of usage.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.