Author Topic: Clubsport order thread  (Read 109857 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Clubsport order thread
« Reply #230 on: 19 November 2021, 10:06 »
I don’t see the ‘boring’ when comparing an M135i with a Golf R. Not that I’ve driven an 8R, but the 135i certainly feels more lively than a 7R and more hot hatch like as opposed to merely a fast, very competent range topper.

I don’t get the gearbox criticism of the BMW 7 speed either. It feels more organic and mechanical than the digital DSG. I found the 135i had more realistic change up points for normal driving than a DSG plus it felt quite brutal and dramatic when in Sport mode. Ok, maybe if you’re Mat Watson the DSG R is faster up the runway but on a real road at non licence losing speeds?

I parked nose to nose with a 128ti when picking up shopping for elderly relatives on Monday. It was a dark grey one on 19’s with all black trim, it looked very classy and upmarket. I also saw a storm grey one with the red accents this week and in the opposing shades of grey it can carry off different characters depending on the owners (age?) personality.

Personal preference for me was (and still is after 11 months with it) for a GTI Clubsport but that is indeed a very personal thing for its blend of attributes and character. No regrets.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #231 on: 19 November 2021, 10:23 »
I really liked the M135i - it is an excellent car IMHO. I should have bought one when they were cheap - basic spec now is nudging 40k RRP, which is crazy.

The 128ti I had ordered was storm bay with red accents. Looks lovely IMHO. The one I test drove was white with red accents - looked good too I thought.

It was just the seats and the hard ride I hated with the 128ti. Nothing else, everything else was really nice, but the "fix" is to buy the M135i. The problem currently is that BMW have deleted so much stuff (option availability) from the 128ti that even if I could deal with the ride and the seats, it wouldn't be something I'd choose over a Mk8 Golf. I'd not want a car without adaptive cruise.

I'd say the M135i is a better car (for me) than a Mk7.5 R. I've not driven a Mk8 R, but can't imagine its much different overall to my Mk8 GTI - other than a bit faster.
« Last Edit: 19 November 2021, 10:24 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #232 on: 19 November 2021, 14:30 »
For balance... if you have the opportunity to drive both - do so.  The 128ti has quite different handling feel to the M135i - its definitely set up for fun.  It has that puppy dog enthusiasm that my old mk5 GTI had.

Wrt to the gearbox - I much prefer it to the DSG box in the golf (albeit thats a 6spd box).  The gear change points are much more intuitive.  What I've found with the VAG gearboxes (both DSG and TQ's) is the hardware is fine / great but the software is not.  BMW seems much better at integrating the two together.

Hard ride?  It is firm, but much less so that previous Audi 'S' cars I've had.  Also its not crashy and the rear suspension seems better set up that it is in the golf (7 to be fair).  Somehow more sophisticated.  Also, BMW have crazy high tyre pressures specified - around 3 bar.  Take that down to 2.6 and its still got a sporty edge but totally comfortable day to day.  Seats are subjective, mine has lumbar support and have no issues with comfort.  Do agree with Fred that the M135 has better seats - would be great if they were an option in the Uk

Oh and the interior isn't made by fisher price and the tech works flawlessly  :tongue:

Very happy with mine.  I do have to say the GTI community is stronger than the BMW one.  Especially as true BMW fanboys shun the FWD newcomers...
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #233 on: 19 November 2021, 14:57 »
I drove the M135i and 8R back to back the same week.

Maybe it was the M135i spec, leather and dark grey (not storm) so it looked more business suit which maybe I felt it lacked presence. It was a great drive don't get me wrong but the R just felt better for me. I also got to drive the 8 Clubsport a week or 2x earlier, and that too was great but felt it was not up to my current mk7 Clubsport, but still a great drive too.
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline carbon337

• Not said much yet
« Reply #234 on: 20 November 2021, 07:44 »
Well after all that palaver this week I’m back waiting on the CS which may never arrive.

128ti was from a partnership dealer and the salesman took days to get back to me to reserve then sold so that’s out of the equation now. A new order is roughly 6 months.

A 135i is also about 6 months so is the same as the CS which I got discount on originally so would be more £

A used 135i is a possibility, I got a 4.9% apr quote on  a 20 plate I test drove with 3k down 10k pa and 4yr was only 400 pm but a GFV of 16k. That’s a similar GFV to the CS but £80pm less. The used bmw only has 7k on it too and was lovely.

Ordered 12/06/21 Build scheduled for wk46>wk52>wk10>wk25: MK8 GTI Clubsport in Standard White, DCC, Winter Pack, Standard Wheels

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #235 on: 20 November 2021, 08:45 »
Check the car for options... Some of the things you take for granted on a golf aren't on the BMW.

I presume you need a car immediately?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline carbon337

• Not said much yet
« Reply #236 on: 20 November 2021, 17:55 »
Seemed to have most of the stuff the golf has, no wireless charging and no heated wheel on the model I found but there’s numerous about with different options.

Not particularly I’ve a crappy Golf match 1.0 on a 19plate to use still but I hate that car.

Another option is a TCR on a 20 plate with the akra. It’s got a low GFV of only 12k at 5years old, means a good chance to buy it at that stage as a long termer. Means it’s a bit more monthly, same price as new Cs but 5k cheaper at the end of a pcp.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2021, 17:59 by carbon337 »
Ordered 12/06/21 Build scheduled for wk46>wk52>wk10>wk25: MK8 GTI Clubsport in Standard White, DCC, Winter Pack, Standard Wheels

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #237 on: 20 November 2021, 18:58 »
Driving assistant (auto cruise) is the one that is quite rare and I'd also look for one with hk as the standard audio is crap, doesn't have a pillar tweeters.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2021, 19:19 by fredgroves »

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #238 on: 26 November 2021, 08:00 »
So after several weeks of being quite annoyed my CS hasn’t arrived and wishing we had two cars again (ordered April, no confirmed BW, last estimate was unconfirmed bw 11 in 2022) last Friday/Saturday have gone out and bought a Honda E Advance with 600miles on it. All done over email/phone from main desler 300miles away. Deposit paid Saturday, car then delivered following Wednesday!

Liking the mk1 looks and proportions and seems quite fast (have only done 10miles so not really stretched it’s legs yet)

Assuming my CS ever arrives my plan is to either immediately sell it or more likely get rid of what was until now our only car that I had planned to run for much longer for the school run/general use (2017 Renault captur).

If get hooked on electric (one pedal driving seems pretty awesome, but been a while since had any auto) then will likely go down the id3 route for the “main” car, even though I had previously said was going to wait for newer solid state battery tech which is 3-5 years down the line.
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #239 on: 26 November 2021, 08:40 »
Ohhh Honda E... I think they look really nice. Its just a real shame the battery range is super small. Lovely piece of design aesthetic though.