Author Topic: Where have all the Mk3s gone?!  (Read 15857 times)

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Re: Where have all the Mk3s gone?!
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2021, 09:14 »
That red 16v doesn't look far off. I'd suggest to bypass the immo and get it back on the road as is  :wink:
My MK4 was living in the garage and looking tired, but I got it MOTd and back on the road for fear of losing the love for it. I'll be taking it out for a blast this morning.
My brother is on the look out for a mk3 again. He's been through a few, and broke a nice one for a brief stint in a MK2. His last one had a full respray, air ride and every rare bolt on he could get his hands on. I think he regrets letting it go, but didn't lose out after selling on all the toys. Certainly looking at some serious money for the next one.

Build thread clicky

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2021, 15:39 »
The immo on those is easy.
And relatively cheap to fix as well.
Easiest to buy a 2nd hand immo box with the same p/n that comes with the pin.
Then all you need is vcds, box with unknown pin is tricky but doable if it comes with a transponder that is matched to it.

I'd expect fixing would cost <£100, an immo delete won't cost significantly less.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline WeekendMechanic

• Here all the time
  • Golf MK3 GTD
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2021, 17:57 »
The immo on those is easy.
And relatively cheap to fix as well.
Easiest to buy a 2nd hand immo box with the same p/n that comes with the pin.
Then all you need is vcds, box with unknown pin is tricky but doable if it comes with a transponder that is matched to it.

I'd expect fixing would cost <£100, an immo delete won't cost significantly less.

I`m glad you brought this up I know you need a pin to program with vcds,
I just bought a Vag-Can cable so as to extract the pin from mine I`m assuming the transponder and box are matched.
I've been doing some research some say Vag-Can, can dump the code, others say only external EEPROM reader can do it.
Maybe you can help us both out...
I`m still waiting for cable in the mail.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2021, 22:42 »
Send me a private message.
Can't be done with an eeprom reader, needs a little more involved kit (mcu reader, these don't use external eeprom) or via obd if you got a matched key.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline pfnsht

• Just got here
« Reply #14 on: 28 September 2021, 19:40 »
I'm still going on the mk3. I could have MOTd and got it out but when I get going perfecting I can't stop! I've sorted the side you see in the photo interms of welding and paint under the trims but the drivers side was a bit worse - needs a new rear arch and has had patches on the sill in the past - i'm probably going to get a pro to do the arch and and new sill on that side.

Once i am done the body work i will move on to fitting the bilsteins and will refurb the calipers and fit new bearings and wishbones etc. Then MOT and I'll get the panels that need painting done.

If I buy project cars again (probably) they have to be MOTd as it would have been nice to get it driving and bonding with it on the road.

I have bought some 7j RX226 for it to keep the motivation as have left it for a few months over summer whilst I enjoyed driving my corrado.

Offline WeekendMechanic

• Here all the time
  • Golf MK3 GTD
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2021, 08:57 »
You should do everything yourself.
You can still find whole rear mud guard panels.
Cut what you need from them and weld them.
You can even paint it yourself ,yes the cost of buying proper tools to do this stuff outweighs the cost of getting someone to do them but over time if you keep this hobby they will pay for themselves.

Offline pfnsht

• Just got here
« Reply #16 on: 07 December 2021, 12:01 »
We are getting there :-D I am not the quickest as learning as I go. I got the removable panels painted by a pro but blended the rear 3/4 myself and it has turned out good enough. Colour match on passenger side wasn't great - used Hycote cans - but it is behind the GTI trims so no bother. I had some aersols mixed to my paint on the drivers side. I have done a lot of wet sanding to get it to that point.

Some dodgy MOT style patch or patch repairs removed from the drivers side.

Next steps are putting all the trims back on, bumpers. I've Lanoguarded behind where the bumpers go for rust prevention. The underside has been wired wheel, prepared and stonechipped where underseal was failing.

I will be fitting the Bilsten B12 kit next, refurbishing calipers, new brakelines, new wishbones & track rods. New cambelt, waterpump. Fix a small leak on the rocker cover and off for an MOT. I like this last mechanical bit and have done it a couple of times other cars so hopefully won't take as long as the bodywork which was mostly learning.

« Last Edit: 07 December 2021, 12:06 by pfnsht »

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #17 on: 19 December 2021, 13:23 »
Excellent work. Great to see it coming together  :smiley:

My brother went back to a mk3 after brieflyflirting with a MK2. He found a mint 1 owner dragon green CL that's been garaged it's entire life. Something silly like 60k miles. He snapped it up for less than a grand.

Build thread clicky

Offline Harry Goldenblatt

• Just got here
Re: Where are all the Mk3s gone?!
« Reply #18 on: 25 January 2022, 20:08 »
I will be on the hunt for another Mk3 once lockdown is over, and I am hoping that this https://carplus.co.uk/car-finance/no-deposit/ is the reason for the current lack of them advertised for sale.

Have you managed to get one? It has been a while since your post so I am just curious :)
Unfortunately it is a really hard task to get MK3s in my country :(
« Last Edit: 04 February 2022, 18:39 by Harry Goldenblatt »

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #19 on: 09 February 2022, 23:38 »
My Mk3 is getting scraped unless someone buys it. Re-shelling to a Mk2 Jetta.

I do like a Mk3 but I’ve had a couple and it’s time to for something else.