Author Topic: Sucky day-time running lights  (Read 7526 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Sucky day-time running lights
« on: 03 May 2009, 00:57 »
I had a Golf6 as a courtesy car when VW had to apologise for supplying me with a LHD Passat towbar loom and then suggesting I was incompetent (they then had to apologise and fit a replacement loom FOC AND provide a courtesy car).

I couldn't figure out what was going on with the lights on the trip home - no dashboard illumination, yet the front sidelights were on.  Turns out the Golf6 has bloody day-time running lights. 

Now, I'm sure this is all very swanky on social-climbing Audis, with their lines of LEDs under the main headlights, making them look all like they're trying to be a Porsche, but I think these day-time running lights look dreadful and perform no useful function in the UK, especially with auto-on headlights being fitted to pretty much everything these days anyway.  Is VW trying to emulate Volvo in the 80's with their day-time running lights, or something?

Far too much of a 'me too' feature to be worthy of inclusion IMO.  Worse still, it might lead numpties to set up their front foglights as day-time running lights on their Golf5s, making them look an utter prick for doing so.  Foglights - for using in fog, get it?

For reference it was a TDI and it was gutless and sucky and the inputs all felt anesthetised and dull.  Viva Las Golf2, innit.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: Sucky day-time running lights
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2009, 02:33 »
Worse still, it might lead numpties to set up their front foglights as day-time running lights on their Golf5s, making them look an utter prick for doing so.  Foglights - for using in fog, get it?

LOL  :grin:
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2009, 09:50 »
I personally think day time running lights are a good idea (not fitting them to older models though!!). I mean trains and planes run with marker lights day and night, but cars which can travel in any direction can travel at high speeds with nothing. I think having DRL's on, cars can be seen whatever the weather. Auto lights are good, until its raining in the day or foggy, and you then see cars travelling around with no lights on at all due to the owners thinking the car thinks for itself!! Auto lights and fog don't register, well not with our Audi A3 anyway!!  :smiley:
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2009, 12:31 »
You can turn them off.

From another forum.

Deactivating the daylight running lights - Page 62 Mk6 manual

Light switch to 0, Move the turn signal and main beam lever both down and to the rear (left-hand turn signal and headlight flash) at the same time and hold it in this position.

Turn the ignition on for 3 seconds and then switch it off again. The daylight running lights function is deactivated and cannot be switched on again.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

TeddyKGB

« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2009, 15:53 »
Turn the ignition on for 3 seconds and then switch it off again. The daylight running lights function is deactivated and cannot be switched on again.[/i]
I'd have done this - and left your sucky dealer DRL-less permanently :grin: :grin:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2009, 17:11 »
If I'd known I would have!
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2009, 17:35 »
Tis going to be law to have them fitted to allnew cars in Europe soon hence them being fitted to Audis first and all new models of car over the next few years.

I have to say the ones on the MKVI look aweful. There too inboard to look any good and they're not even LED. Makes the car look more wank than it does already.

nick

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2009, 18:11 »
Ahh, this could explain why the nob behind had his lights on the other day when there wasn't even a cloud in the sky. They were quite bright though, they seemed more like high beam due to the inside location too.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2009, 18:16 »
Any idea why the mk6 got world car of the year when most of you are flaming it ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2009, 18:45 »
Any idea why the mk6 got world car of the year when most of you are flaming it ?

No idea. I've not driven one but I think it's a step backwards looks wise from the MKV. It's very bland and ordinary compared to the MKV and the astra/focus.

nick