Author Topic: How can I tell where it was built?  (Read 14103 times)

Sugar79

Re: How can I tell where it was built?
« Reply #10 on: 16 February 2006, 13:57 »
erm just reading this on that autotrader link

While you're at the rear, check fluid isn't leaking from the brake calipers, as hydraulic hoses frequently fail.

what what what!!!  :shocked:

Offline GazB

• I live here
  • Newport Edition - aaahhhhh!AC Cobra Fast as F*@k -
« Reply #11 on: 16 February 2006, 21:18 »
Dealers, Stealers, spoke to mine today and they told me different?  They said WVW is Wolfsburg plant prefix :undecided:

Offline VWmaindealer

• GTI forum regular
  • What do you think it's worth?
« Reply #12 on: 16 February 2006, 22:11 »
Dealers, Stealers, spoke to mine today and they told me different?  They said WVW is Wolfsburg plant prefix :undecided:

:undecided:

I've only been selling for VW for four years but I haven't come accross any Volkswagen chasssis that doesn't start WVWZZZ. Beetles start WVW and they are built in Mexico!  :grin:. If I get a chance, i'll try and get something definitive from work tomorrow...

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: (this smiley was made for me....)
What's your best price for cash?

Offline GazB

• I live here
  • Newport Edition - aaahhhhh!AC Cobra Fast as F*@k -
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2006, 14:23 »
nice one, you dealers are all full of sh@t anyway :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline VWmaindealer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 17 February 2006, 22:30 »
Forgot all about it today. Touaregs start WVG but thats the only one thats different. :tongue:

Offline VWmaindealer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2006, 12:46 »
The definitive answer!

WVWZZZ9NZ5Y052492 as an example.

This is actually a Polo chassis. The first WVWZZZ are fillers and mean nothing. The 9N is the model code, teh next Z is a filler, the next 5 is the model year (2005) and the Y represents where the car was built.  Most mark IV Golfs will have a W here for Wolfsburg. South African cars will have a U here instead. The last six numbers are the unique chassis numbers for the car.

There you go! :nerd:  :laugh:

Offline BARNEY

• Just got here
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2006, 20:13 »
Thanks VWmaindealer for finding out. Unfortunately it has the 'U' so must be South African. Its a 2000 'V' with 86,000 miles and full history. What were the main problems on these apart from trim etc.? The trim on this one all seems sound and I have since managed to speak to the previous owner who had it from new and said it's never give him any problems. Thanks again.

Offline VWmaindealer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2006, 20:42 »
There is nothing inherently wrong with SA cars apart from they never enjoyed the same level of quality control as German builds. To be honest, after six years, your car should be fine. We hated them when they were new as they often had loads of niggly teething problems. Rattles, loose trims - stupid stuff really. Even anything major like leaking brakes (!) as previously mentioned shoudl be well and truly ironed out by now.

These days we still buil dcars in SA and Brazil, Mexico and god knows where else other than Germany but the difference is, all cars go back to Emdon for another quality control check. Anything untoward gets sorted here and not at the dealer. VW learnt from those early South African cars that the public have come to expect a certain level of quality and that cheaper labour didn't outweigh the poor quality and customer satisfaction these cars brought.

VWmd

Offline BenjiC

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 07 March 2006, 09:44 »
Very smooth VMmain.

Tell me, could you sell ice to Eskimos?  :rolleyes:

Offline VWmaindealer

• GTI forum regular