Author Topic: GTD on 19' Adelaides - Very firm ride.  (Read 1610 times)

VW_Golf_nut

Re: GTD on 19' Adelaides - Very firm ride.
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2022, 06:29 »
Not wanting to change the subject too much here, but...What tyre would you guys choose for outright sport performance.

A summer tyre would be fine, car won't be used during winter as I work away from home.

I've been reading through Tyre Reviews website and at the moment the top 3 seem to be:

Pilot Sport 4s

Sport Contact 7

F1 SuperSport

Or, would you wait for the Pilot Sport 5s when it's released some time next year hopefully?

Presuming for a Golf, if so, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 N0, this was the tyre fitted to the Clubsport S, I've had 2 Golfs with them on, they are very good! If you go for them, just make sure they are the N0 rated ones.

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2022, 11:54 »
My GTI came from the factory with Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSports. No complaints about the grip, comfort or roadnoise on 19" Adelaide's.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2022, 13:25 »
Rory, can the Cup 2’s handle sudden downpours? How quick do they warm up in road use?

For a GTD I’d recommend Pilot Sport 4 (or the successor PS5) or 4S. Superb allrounders and the 4 (5?) likely to be slightly more comfy. I’m talking general all purpose road use here, not trying to shave hundredths of a second off in controlled conditions.
I’ve had PS4S’s on two Clubsports now. I was so impressed with them on my Ed40 that I immediately fitted them to my mk8 CS. In the interim I had a TCR with Pirellis (meh tyres) and a BMW 1er with Bridgestones (made of stone too I think).
Absolutely no hesitation in recommending PS4 or PS5 (tyres not gaming consoles) for their slightly toned down therefore likely better all rounder design brief if ride comfort was high on the agenda.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2022, 13:54 »
Rory, can the Cup 2’s handle sudden downpours? How quick do they warm up in road use?

For a GTD I’d recommend Pilot Sport 4 (or the successor PS5) or 4S. Superb allrounders and the 4 (5?) likely to be slightly more comfy. I’m talking general all purpose road use here, not trying to shave hundredths of a second off in controlled conditions.
I’ve had PS4S’s on two Clubsports now. I was so impressed with them on my Ed40 that I immediately fitted them to my mk8 CS. In the interim I had a TCR with Pirellis (meh tyres) and a BMW 1er with Bridgestones (made of stone too I think).
Absolutely no hesitation in recommending PS4 or PS5 (tyres not gaming consoles) for their slightly toned down therefore likely better all rounder design brief if ride comfort was high on the agenda.

Fair questions, and just realised this is for a GTD.

Rain, when its wet I'm not going to drive like I stole it or may not be driving at all!

Ref the temps, hard question, obviously being a track biased tyre they will take longer to get to ideal temp and stay there.

So, maybe the PS4 or PS4S maybe the best option  :) I have tried the PS4S, they are also very good tyres!