Author Topic: GTD on 19' Adelaides - Very firm ride.  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Alienatrix

• Not said much yet
GTD on 19' Adelaides - Very firm ride.
« on: 17 May 2022, 10:41 »
Picked up the car last week with 5 miles on the dash.

Great car overall, fantastic to drive. It was deffos worth the 12 month wait to get it.

But, my god I wish I the demo car I test drove last year when ordering had the 19's on. The demo had the standard 18's.

The ride on 19's is firm. Previous car was an A220d (W177) so not exactly the softest suspension either.

Probably doesn't help that the 19's on the GTD also have the GTI front shockers.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTD on 19' Adelaides - Very firm ride.
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2022, 12:24 »
Its "firm".... low speed is definitely a bit lumpy, not bad once you get a bit of a move on though.

Do you have DCC?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Alienatrix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2022, 12:40 »
I don't unfortunately.

Have heard that it makes a big difference having DCC.

Budget didn't allow me to stretch to that much.

You're right that, once you go over a certain speed it becomes less noticable, until you hit a pothole :grin:

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2022, 13:04 »
I went with 18's when I replaced my standard Belvederes purely on the basis of views from other owners here.  I've never been in a car with 19's so I don't know if it would be a problem for me. My car doesn't have DCC and I'm happy with what I've got.  :smiley:
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2022, 13:50 »
I don't unfortunately.

Have heard that it makes a big difference having DCC.

Budget didn't allow me to stretch to that much.

You're right that, once you go over a certain speed it becomes less noticable, until you hit a pothole :grin:

I drive around most of the time in "moon buggy mode" (comfort+) because of the bloody dreadful roads. Unless I'm having a blat and the roads are smooth.

I test drove a Mk8 GTI on 18's without DCC and that was no problem at all - its definitely the large, super heavy aussies that's doing it. If I could be arsed, I'd look for some lighter 19's or even 18's (although that gets expensive when you factor in new rubber all round). Lighter would improve it no end.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2022, 14:07 »
What tyres are you running Alienatrix?
19’s + Bridgestones + 40 plus psi would be uncomfortable for sure.

First step is to drop the tyre pressures to around 38psi, that takes the edge off.

I run a Clubsport with crud iron heavy 19’s and Michelin tyres so in effect have slightly stiffer suspension than you again, but it’s fine for road use even ferrying almost octogenarians on odd occasions.
Yes, really bad roads will jar a bit but I’ve recently done some bad roads in a small SUV with balloon tyres which was actually hardly any better for ride comfort and noise transmitted into the cabin.

I do drive around potholes as much as humanly possible but some bits of badly worn tarmac are unavoidable and I find the ride quite acceptable with no DCC and 19’s.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Alienatrix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2022, 14:24 »
Factory Hankooks (Ventus S1 Evo 3).. not checked pressures to be fair.

That will probably be my next move.

I just didn't think the 19's would make it that bloody firm  :grin:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2022, 15:43 »
Tyre pressures do make quite a difference.
I had a BMW M135iX for a short while and reducing the tyre pressures made the car less fidgety and more comfortable.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Alienatrix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2022, 22:02 »
Not wanting to change the subject too much here, but...What tyre would you guys choose for outright sport performance.

A summer tyre would be fine, car won't be used during winter as I work away from home.

I've been reading through Tyre Reviews website and at the moment the top 3 seem to be:

Pilot Sport 4s

Sport Contact 7

F1 SuperSport

Or, would you wait for the Pilot Sport 5s when it's released some time next year hopefully?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2022, 22:05 »
Only a Ps5 at the moment, not the S version. Not very highly rated, not a ultra performance tyre.

I've got ps4s's now.

Toss up between that and the new Eagle f1's. The eagles were more expensive and not available for a week and I had a puncture. Think the tyre test guy says the eagles have better feeling but can't knock the ps's, really super grippy.