Author Topic: Seat comfort issue  (Read 2573 times)

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
Seat comfort issue
« on: 01 May 2022, 19:59 »
Had my 2017 GTI for almost 3 years now and over the past few weeks I've started finding the seat really uncomfortable. Numb right leg, numb bum and just generally uncomfortable driving position. I've tried shifting the seat around, moved it up and down back and forward and just can't seem to find the right position. Anyone had this issue? What did you do to solve it?
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Seat comfort issue
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2022, 20:48 »
@oryx3dr; sorry I can’t resolve your issue, but I currently also have an issue with seat comfort in my 2020 Polo GTI+ which has the same style of seats as the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf GTi.

In my car the left side of the driver’s seat cushion feels very hard - almost like sitting on a plank of wood - which makes my left leg and left buttock feel uncomfortable after a short spell of driving. I find myself constantly shifting around to try and get comfortable - occasionally I’m able to but invariably I can’t.

I’m not overweight (I only weigh 10 stone 6 pounds), so it’s not excessive weight causing damage to the structure of seat cushion. I’ve also checked under the seat to see if there’s any foam particles on the carpet which could indicate the foam disintegrated, but there’s no such debris.

I’d also welcome any suggestions on a solution.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2022, 21:15 »
@oryx3dr; sorry I can’t resolve your issue, but I currently also have an issue with seat comfort in my 2020 Polo GTI+ which has the same style of seats as the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf GTi.

In my car the left side of the driver’s seat cushion feels very hard - almost like sitting on a plank of wood - which makes my left leg and left buttock feel uncomfortable after a short spell of driving. I find myself constantly shifting around to try and get comfortable - occasionally I’m able to but invariably I can’t.

I’m not overweight (I only weigh 10 stone 6 pounds), so it’s not excessive weight causing damage to the structure of seat cushion. I’ve also checked under the seat to see if there’s any foam particles on the carpet which could indicate the foam disintegrated, but there’s no such debris.

I’d also welcome any suggestions on a solution.

Hmm strange, I'm the same it's just constantly trying to shift my weight around in the seat to get comfy but to no avail. I should also mention I'm only 5,11" and 68kg so also not a large person myself. I've tried moving the seat back but I'm quite short in the leg department so that's an issue.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2022, 21:16 »
Have a read of this - https://www.easyposturebrands.com/blogs/articles-1/8-ways-to-stop-right-leg-pain-while-driving

Also, it might be worth seeing a physio, you may have another issue that is exacerbated by driving. Life causes tight muscles which may not exhibit pain except under certain circumstances. A few sessions may sort you out. If the seat has been okay before, chances are that it is still okay.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2022, 21:39 »
@Watts; thanks, I’ll have a read.

I do visit a chiropractor every 3-4 weeks; more often if I feel I need to, as I’ve had back-related issues for over 40 years. However, I’ve never suffered ongoing discomfort before while driving. My current car is also DSG (all previous cars have been manual), so there’s no clutch work to contend with.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Pete-r36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2022, 09:18 »
I’m small, 5’7 and about 70kg but I find the seats ok if low. If the seat is too high the squab cuts the circulation to my legs especially the right as I’m pushing the back of my thigh into it.

I like to sit lowish in cars generally and it’s fine when I do that.

Try some different positions.

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2022, 12:50 »
I suffered with issues down my right leg and bum when I drove any journey of greater than about 1½ hours. On several occasions the pain was so great that I couldn't keep my foot on the throttle and had to pull over and get out for 10 or 15 minutes. I tried the seat in all manner of different positions and never resolved the issue.

It was that and the generally highish levels of road / wind noise that were the only two negatives I had with four years of GTI PP 7.5 ownership.
I've now just taken delivery of a new SQ5 and so far it is a significant step ahead on both those issues, but obviously at a higher price point.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline Pete-r36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2022, 13:08 »
It was that and the generally highish levels of road / wind noise that were the only two negatives I had with four years of GTI PP 7.5 ownership.

What tyres did you run? I found the oem Bridgestone were like plastic, lots of NVH in the car.

Swapped to Michelin PS4 and the car is transformed, noticeably quieter and more comfortable.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2022, 16:05 »
I had the same issue but fixed it with spacers under the front two bolts of the seat to raise it up 3/8 of an inch or so. Since doing that I have had no comfort issues at all.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2022, 07:25 »
The only issue that I have with the seats is that I find they lack of bit of padding in the coccyx area. The root of my spine feels like it can be pressing into something quite hard at times.

I may end up sitting on a thin cushion.

Other than that I have no issues with the driving position, I am 6ft 1" tall.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i