Author Topic: £1100 per month quoted on 4 year PCP - Golf R!?!?!?!?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
I'm lost! How and why would someone pay that for a Golf R???

Anyone find any better deals? Or what are people paying for their GTI's?

I said to the salesman in utter shock, "how many of these have you sold since the release?". He said "We've sold quite a few" nervously... "Yeah! you've sold a few in the entire time it's been released". He saw the funny side, trying to be as salesy as he could he kept using his sales training etc, to make out it's only £1100 per month etc, but I just laughed and he hinted that they are hard to sell.

I imagine this car has had and will have more tire kickers than any other car ever produced!
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: £1100 per month quoted on 4 year PCP - Golf R!?!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2022, 13:15 »
How do you get to 1100?

48 months, no deposit and 30k miles a year only gets to 758 a month on the VW calculator.

10k miles and a 5k deposit and you drop to 517.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2022, 13:43 »
Credit history can affect the APR offered under car finance arrangements. @Elliott Smart; What was the APR on the £1,100 per month quote? - VW’s current APR for a PCP on the Golf is 5.6% representative.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2022, 14:30 »
Credit history can affect the APR offered under car finance arrangements. @Elliott Smart; What was the APR on the £1,100 per month quote? - VW’s current APR for a PCP on the Golf is 5.6% representative.

Credit rating is almost perfect at 950 - Borrowing amount is £75K on my credit file. I was purchasing personally, but my business was going to pay for it as an expense. (I know I can claim tax back if it's done through the business on business deals, but I want the car myself as I may move away from the business). I obviously didn't tell the guy that otherwise he would have bumped the APR up or tried to milk it.

Maybe I got a newbie who was calculating it incorrectly, but he went to his business manager for the figures... Strange! I'll have to try somewhere else. Unless they were doing figures for HP... but the piece of paper definitely said PCP as there was a balloon payment.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2022, 14:32 by Elliott Smart »
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2022, 14:42 »
How do you get to 1100?

48 months, no deposit and 30k miles a year only gets to 758 a month on the VW calculator.

The annoying thing is I do 30K miles a year and had that down in the quotes. Even £758 is still not justifiable to me for a 320bhp car. These are getting hella expensive. Yeah it was around 6% from memory.

I was in the process of purchasing an RS3 in 2016 0 deposit and £550 per month 30k miles per year - which I thought was great. I ended up with an S3 instead because there was a 6 month waiting list for the RS3.

I might look at a used mk7.5 instead, If its £758 as it is only 320bhp, Rather get a used C63 for that money... Lovely, but not worth the price in my opinion.
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2022, 17:55 »
I'm lost! How and why would someone pay that for a Golf R???

Anyone find any better deals? Or what are people paying for their GTI's?

I said to the salesman in utter shock, "how many of these have you sold since the release?". He said "We've sold quite a few" nervously... "Yeah! you've sold a few in the entire time it's been released". He saw the funny side, trying to be as salesy as he could he kept using his sales training etc, to make out it's only £1100 per month etc, but I just laughed and he hinted that they are hard to sell.

I imagine this car has had and will have more tire kickers than any other car ever produced!

Stock car available in black with performance pack and rear view camera on personal or business lease  :cool:
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2022, 18:04 »
I can only assume this was a nearly new car for over list price at some stupid finance rate making it loads more than a new car  :grin:
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2022, 08:14 »
What was the price for the car?

How many months was it over?

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2022, 10:51 »
How do you get to 1100?

Easy- I just tried.

Use their finance calculator on an R (base R, no options, not that you can do options in their calculator)... put 30k mileage, put 24 months and a 500 quid deposit.

23 monthly payments of £1,117.93

You are paying £23439 of depreciation plus interest 5.6% APR.... there's no getting away from the depreciation... its only worth £18751 after that sort of battering.

BTW only put the mileage in if you intend to hand the car back.... handing the car back is a pretty dumb thing to do on PCP anyway - lease if you want to do that, its better and cheaper. If you don't intend to hand it back, but want to buy it (and then sell it yourself) put in 10k as the mileage.... it helps a bit - £925 a month, becuause the GFV is higher - 23k

The basic problem with a short term is that you are hit with the big part of the depreciation right up front. By having a longer term you spread the initial depreciation over a much longer period, meaning cheaper monthlies.

Lastly, thats not going to be just VW - any new 42k car you want to PCP for 2 years will be like this.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2022, 12:16 »
But why put 24 months when the question is about 48?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity