Author Topic: Help scratched Steering Wheel!  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Alip1977

• Just got here
Help scratched Steering Wheel!
« on: 22 March 2022, 14:45 »
Afternoon all

I've somehow managed to scratch the leather on my steering wheel.  No idea how it happened and the car is only 8 weeks old.  :angry: I've read various articles online but there seems to be no quick fix. I was was hoping someone may have an idea?!?

Many thanks

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
Re: Help scratched Steering Wheel!
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2022, 15:10 »
Once you get your sticky hands on it for a few weeks it will get lost with grease/dirt. Yum
Not that that helps.....

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2022, 15:15 »
On my previous Golf R Mk7, I had a bad scratch on my steering wheel caused by a VW technician.  On the instance where my wheel was scratched i had VW replace the steering wheel FOC.  The leather on the steering wheel does mark real easy. But from personal experience it can be hard to try and mask scratches when they become visible. I have tried a few methods of attempting to hide the scratches as well.  Would it be possible to replace the wheel under warranty or would it be void on this occasion?

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2022, 15:36 »
Once you get your sticky hands on it for a few weeks it will get lost with grease/dirt. Yum
Not that that helps.....

you joke but I don't think you are far off the truth. I've scratched my leather wheels before and over time some do tend to fade away, just depends how deep it's gone.
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2022, 16:32 »
Try a bit of heat on it (e.g. with a hairdryer) and dab a little leather conditioner onto it and rub/massage the area gently. You'll very likely make it almost invisible by doing this.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2022, 17:08 »
@Alip1977; it’s usually jewellery (metal watch straps or rings), zips or studs on clothing or long finger nails that cause steering wheel damage. You could try a coloured leather crème or a leather dye that’s traditionally used for scuffs and scratches on leather furniture in the colour that’s the closest match to the steering wheel leather. It’s usually fairly cheap, so if it doesn’t work it’s not cost you a small fortune. Try a few internet searches on ‘coloured leather crème’ or ‘repair dye for leather upholstery’ or similar searches. Some such products cost as little as £4 - £5. 

Alternatively, try good old fashioned shoe polish - again, using the closest colour match you can find. That’s what I used on a scratch on the steering wheel leather on a previous car. I used black shoe polish on a dark grey leather steering wheel rim and worked it carefully into the scratch and it worked a treat! You’ll still know it’s there, but it should be disguised and others will be unlikely to see it.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl