Author Topic: Drone.....  (Read 3078 times)

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
Re: Drone.....
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2022, 09:40 »
Thanks Joe, Fred

It's not that I'm coming from an S Class  :grin:

My motoring history is a series of small cars with small engines that have been worked hard on motorway journeys (currently a standard Polo). So I'm used to a fair bit of engine/road noise but yes, I'm not accustomed to performance cars. I was just hoping that the GTI would have been a bit more relaxing in the cruise.

You must have noticed quite a difference coming from GTDs, Fred?

Yes its different to the GTD... in 2 ways:

1) The GTD had most of the noise coming from the oil burner up front - which whilst not fully agricultural, certainly had diesel clatter

2) The Mk7/Mk7.5 had a lot more sound deadening material - the arch liners were thicker and even the parcel shelf!

I didn't ever drive a Mk7 GTI, but yes, the Mk8 does sound more like a performance car.

Trust me though, if it sounded like my friend's Lotus it would have gone a long time ago! I don't find it a problem on long journeys. The bloody rattles are much more annoying  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Interesting point about the 7/7.5 having more sound deadening - I have seen the reviews on cost cutting but don't think I heard about that one!

My last long termer was French so am used to rattles :laugh:. Renault do make excellent engines I would have to add though.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2022, 09:43 »
To add to the excellent points above, is it definitely exhaust and not tyre noise?
Bridgestones can drone like hell.

The mk8 is definitely more vocal than the mk7 owing to feedback from focus committees and internet influencers (and the odd real journalist) leading VW to make the mk8 louder and sharper/harder than the mk7.

Pretty sure it was the exhaust as was the same noise I could hear around town. I thought I had read complaints from some that the noise in the Mk 8 was toned down a bit due to new noise regulations but maybe not then?!

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2022, 09:54 »
I recently had opportunity to take my  (7.5) gti on an extended motorway run- something which I don’t often do, as we would normally be doing long runs with the family in the seat alhambra- it’s a 184 ps engine with 6 speed dsg.

It was a reminder for me that, no matter how refined the hot hatch has become, it’s still not a type of car ideally suited to cruising for hours on a motorway.

Far more noise- engine and tyres- than our mpv.

It’s not something that really bothers you on shorter journeys, but after a couple of hours, i did start to wish I’d taken the mpv.  I really didn’t expect that.

It wasn’t as easy to hold a conversation in the gti.

You also have to drop to 5th gear every so often to find a bit more torque for getting past slower traffic- but maybe that’s just my style of driving.

The gti is perfectly suited to fast A roads, back roads, and around town.

If I was doing a lot of motorway mileage, I’d choose something else.

Thanks for that feedback - you may be right, I may have to look elsewhere though I do like a hatch! As Fred & Watts have posted, it is interesting to hear differing views.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2022, 10:24 »
I don't wish to give the impression that it's a bad car for the motorway- not at all.

Perhaps I hadn't appreciated what a great car the Alhambra is for long motorway journeys- I was actually really looking forward to using the golf on a long run- for a change, we didn't have kids with us and had a choice of car.

Much of this is really about expectations.

If I consider my car history, I started with hot hatches- then had 2 alfa saloons and 2 BMWs- during the years that I was doing heavy motorway mileage. The 205 became a bit tiring on long runs between Manchester, Birmingham and London.

Now I have the luxury of choosing the appropriate car for whatever use.

But the golf ( i'm talking 7.5, I appreciate OP is mainly interested in mk8) is a perfectly good car for long runs- just not as good as an oil burning bus!
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2022, 22:47 »
I think the Mk8 is quieter than my mk7.5 was on the motorway. As you say it’s what your used to. The wife’s Skoda Kodiaq is quieter than my GTI. I’d still happily do the jaunt down to Birmingham with Work in mine though
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2022, 08:27 »
I asked Mrs G as she moans about everything... Yes my car is noisy on the motorway but its road noise not exhaust drone. Apparently.

So that's that settled, she's always right  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 02 February 2022, 09:55 »
I asked Mrs G as she moans about everything... Yes my car is noisy on the motorway but its road noise not exhaust drone. Apparently.

So that's that settled, she's always right  :laugh:

I just came back from a brief motorway blast this morning- and was about to post exactly this point.
It’s  the tyre noise I’m hearing. Engine was quiet as anything
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2022, 11:47 »
Yeah as I mentioned in my first reply, I find its the tyre noise thats the most intrusive. I definitely find it very apparent when I hop from the wife's car (a T-Roc) into the GTI.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2022, 12:20 »
I read the mk8 has less sound insolation as a way of reducing cost - how much truth I'd in that I don't know.
What tyres have people with 19s got?
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 02 February 2022, 12:57 »
S005 on mine
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC