Author Topic: Mk7.5 Buying Advice  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk7.5 Buying Advice
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2022, 07:55 »
Remember you'll only read on forums about people who have issues and problems generally and for every one of these there are many more who have no problems at all. Also consider the car you're buying will be a few years old so if it's going to go wrong it either already will have done or its probably going to be OK going forward.

Trying to send you positive vibes here.
GTI Clubsport ED45 DBP, DCC, HK, WP, Pano

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2022, 10:33 »
Rattles you hear about a lot and the tcr suffered from cracked sunroof surrounds.

Most water leaks on the mk7 range were either the shark fin or through the rear door speakers.
I would say majority are from the rubber drain tube in the boot.

The facelift had an updated drain design so they aren't affected iirc.

I also have only had mk7's with sunroof's and have been grand, I like it and I would open mine nearly every drive (Just the pop up mode, I'm not a monster)

The sunroof was standard on certain mk7 / mk7.5 GTI models in the North American market (they didn’t have selectable options on the mk7 / mk7.5 GTI - instead they had three levels of trim, and one or two of those trim levels included a sunroof as standard) so there’s likely to be many more GTI’s in that market with sunroofs than there will be in the UK market. From memory, there have been only a few reported cases over on golfmk7.com forum (mainly US/Canadian members) of leaks from the sunroof, and those owners that have experienced leaks, the cause was usually blocked sunroof drain tubes through lack of maintenance rather than the sunroof itself leaking.

The main sunroof-related issues that owners over on golfmk7.com have reported have been;
  • creaks and rattles
  • loose fitting interior shade blind sliding backward and forward of its own accord while driving
  • cracks in the sunroof surround - same as some UK owners have experienced with GTI TCR models with a sunroof
  • delamination or peeling of the top gloss black layer of the sunroof surround - normally on older cars
  • a few shattered sunroof panels, caused by projectile stones / road debris hitting the glass panel
@Brewmachine; ultimately only you can decide whether or not a sunroof is for you. As has been said by @Dav3smith, you’re more likely to hear of problems on forums rather than owners voluntarily singing the praises of their cars / features, so sunroof problems reported on forums are likely to represent only a very small proportion of all sunroof equipped cars.

I wouldn’t want a sunroof but that’s just my personal choice.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 20 January 2022, 13:24 »
BTW for most of the Mk7's life you couldn't spec 19's and a panroof.

It was one or the other.

So if you are looking for genuine factory fitted 19's, you won't find a panroof...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Brewmachine

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2022, 01:19 »
Cheers everyone, I feel quite reassured on the matter.

Pan roof is not mega high on my list but would be nice to have.... Main thing is if I find a car that ticks all the boxes, I don't have to rule it out just because it has a sunroof.

Still on the lookout for one that ticks all the boxes as the last one I had my eye on doesn't have DCC, hoping the perfect spec / price combo arrives before I run out of patience!

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2022, 17:38 »
Cheers everyone, I feel quite reassured on the matter.

Pan roof is not mega high on my list but would be nice to have.... Main thing is if I find a car that ticks all the boxes, I don't have to rule it out just because it has a sunroof.

Still on the lookout for one that ticks all the boxes as the last one I had my eye on doesn't have DCC, hoping the perfect spec / price combo arrives before I run out of patience!

Time isn't a luxury you have if you're after the perfect spec / price combo, it took my 2 years to find mine which is my perfect spec and good price.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/