Author Topic: Nearly 9 years of ownership  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
Nearly 9 years of ownership
« on: 15 November 2021, 13:48 »
Got my Mk7 Gti Performance on 9th Jan 2014 for the grand sum of just over £28K. Nearly nine years on and just over 50K miles, I can't part with it.

I've looked at many other cars, got twitchy for something new. But I can't seem to find anything that would give me the same driving fulfilment or practicability for the cost. Why spend a ton of dosh for something the same or just a bit better?

I've fancied a Mk7.5 R. I've test drove one. It felt good. But it didn't feel like the difference between that and my GTi was worth the cost after part ex.

The trouble is, the Mk7 GTi is too good. And because it's all paid for a long time ago, the annual motoring costs are very, very low. It's been incredibly reliable (touch wood). The water pump went about 3 years ago. Other than that, it's been remarkable.

I've recently bought it new rims - matt black Omnia Oz Racing 18" - I had the Austins refurbished once, around a year before, but the white worm soon returned, plus a little kerb scuffing didn't help.

So nearly nine years on, it's still the perfect car for me. I love driving it. I take very good care of it. The day I do part with it will be heartbreaking. Before the GTi, I'd never owned a car for more than two years. I never planned to own it for so long!

Anyone else here had their GTi as long?
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
Re: Nearly 9 years of ownership
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2021, 13:56 »
It's interesting to see how car prices of risen in that time. I'm sure a similarly equipped Mk8 would still be well over £30k even with discounts.

Not had my Mk7 anywhere near that long but also struggling to find anything that would do everything it does but better for the same money.

So far I'm aiming to keep it for as long as I can until I really get bored. I've gone reasonably heavy on the mods so the car is setup to how I like it.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2021, 15:18 »
Got my Mk7 Gti Performance on 9th Jan 2014 for the grand sum of just over £28K. Nearly nine years on and just over 50K miles, I can't part with it.

I've looked at many other cars, got twitchy for something new. But I can't seem to find anything that would give me the same driving fulfilment or practicability for the cost. Why spend a ton of dosh for something the same or just a bit better?

I've fancied a Mk7.5 R. I've test drove one. It felt good. But it didn't feel like the difference between that and my GTi was worth the cost after part ex.

The trouble is, the Mk7 GTi is too good. And because it's all paid for a long time ago, the annual motoring costs are very, very low. It's been incredibly reliable (touch wood). The water pump went about 3 years ago. Other than that, it's been remarkable.

I've recently bought it new rims - matt black Omnia Oz Racing 18" - I had the Austins refurbished once, around a year before, but the white worm soon returned, plus a little kerb scuffing didn't help.

So nearly nine years on, it's still the perfect car for me. I love driving it. I take very good care of it. The day I do part with it will be heartbreaking. Before the GTi, I'd never owned a car for more than two years. I never planned to own it for so long!

With maths like that, I suspect you might want to revisit the cost of the Golf R  :wink:

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2021, 18:19 »
Leaving the maths aside, I can relate to much of what is said in the original post.

It's a damn satisfying car to own, as enjoyable, engaging everyday transport.

Mine's a keeper.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2021, 19:59 »
Still have my mk6 and found it reliable for 11 years now and a comfortable car with sufficient oomp for every day. I agree the mk7.5 is a lovely car and pushes all the buttons so will be looking to keep it until the petrol costs an arm and leg :smiley:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Online Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2021, 07:53 »

I have had my gti from new since September 2013 but I’ve only had mine 8 years !!!  :whistle: :whistle: It’s a great car. I still love it. I’ve kept it feeling fresh by having 3 sets of wheels, some choice mods like a stage 1 tune and CSS muffler.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2021, 08:41 »
My PP was Purchased 2016 (I think), still own it, now on 102k miles and going strong. Water pump replaced and two rear shocks and that's all it's needed. Love it.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2021, 10:05 »
I plan to keep mine for as long as there's petrol to be bought!

I have noticed that my coolant level has ever so slightly dropped over the past few months so I'll be mentioning that at it's year three service or if not sooner, I'm going to assuming it's the water pump.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2021, 10:09 »
Still have my mk6 and found it reliable for 11 years now and a comfortable car with sufficient oomp for every day. I agree the mk7.5 is a lovely car and pushes all the buttons so will be looking to keep it until the petrol costs an arm and leg :smiley:
Same here with my mk6.
I do look about as you do. Only thing that temped me to replace it was a mk7 clubsport when they were new.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2021, 10:54 »
2015 PP here. Put an ad up to sell last February. Lasted 2 days before I took it down. Knew I was making a mistake like I did
with the Edition 30. My opinion the MK7 ( MK7.5) is the last GTI for my Generation. I'm 58 and as much as the experts rave about the latest it's not for me. 21 years ago I sold my Jeep Wrangler for my first GTI, took the Jeep everywhere,competed in off road events in Europe and also as a daily never failed me. Decided on buying it back and finishing off my motoring career with the best Hot hatch and the best 4X4 on the drive.  :laugh: ( Landrover fans gonna roast me now)

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP