Author Topic: After market OEM style alloys?  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
After market OEM style alloys?
« on: 12 November 2021, 00:05 »
Has anyone fitted these from CM wheels to their mk8?

https://cmwheels.com/products/18%e2%80%b3-2021-vw-golf-gti-adelaide-style-wheels-gloss-black-machined/

Or

These https://cmwheels.com/products/18%e2%80%b3-2021-vw-golf-r-estoril-style-wheels-gloss-black-machined/

Just wondering if the centre caps fits from the standard alloys and also if the wheel bolt covers fit too?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: After market OEM style alloys?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2021, 06:01 »
I have CM Wheels reps but not diamond cut ones. I’d be wary of the durability of the finish on those polished face alloys.

The nut caps fit fine on mine but the OEM centre caps don’t, you need eBay domed stick on ones to apply over the top of the supplied plain plastic caps. Unfortunately when I bought mine it wasn’t possible to get the newest style of VW logo either. Maybe you can by now.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2021, 15:58 »
I have CM Wheels reps but not diamond cut ones. I’d be wary of the durability of the finish on those polished face alloys.

The nut caps fit fine on mine but the OEM centre caps don’t, you need eBay domed stick on ones to apply over the top of the supplied plain plastic caps. Unfortunately when I bought mine it wasn’t possible to get the newest style of VW logo either. Maybe you can by now.

Thanks. What wheels have you got?
CM wheels have just got back to me and said the bolt covers won’t fit on the Adelaide’s I was looking at

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2021, 16:29 »
CM Wheels probably buy in batches from various factories in China, likely through another middle supplier.
If the VW bolt caps don’t fit then SEAT ones will.

I run grey Reifnitz on mine. Not a very sexy colour but are practical all weather wheels.
Admittedly not a mk8 design but they were only used on the very last of the mk7’s in very small numbers so are passable as mk8 wheels being as the TCR was a beta test for the mk8 Clubsport chassis.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2021, 17:08 »
CM Wheels probably buy in batches from various factories in China, likely through another middle supplier.

I run grey Reifnitz on mine. Not a very sexy colour but are practical all weather wheels.
Admittedly not a mk8 design but they were only used on the very last of the mk7’s in very small numbers so are passable as mk8 wheels being as the TCR was a beta test for the mk8 Clubsport chassis.

I have to disagree Exonian - I think various shades of anthracite / gunmetal are ‘sexy’ colours for alloys :grin: and your CM reps look great. The alloys on my current and previous two cars have been a shade of anthracite / dark iron and being a powder coated finish are - as you’ve said - very practical (and durable) for all weathers. But then I’d never have diamond cut alloys by choice as I dislike the diamond cut finish with a passion!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2021, 17:25 »
One thing to bare in mind with the CM wheels is that they won’t sell single replacements, I have badly damaged one of mine beyond repair and they say they will only sell full sets,so I now have 3 useless wheels....I’m going to get some new ones,but not CM.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2021, 18:00 »
That is a pain in the backside not being able to purchase a single wheel.
There’s probably scope to sell the remaining odd wheels to people wanting a cheap full sized spare to use in emergency.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2021, 18:04 »

I like them!

Go to know, I’ll get the seat ones just in case then. Are these the same size for the mk 3 and 4 Leon?

Bit of a pain they don’t supply bolt caps and expect you to drive around with some shiny silver ones on show . CM wheels told me the OEM bolts fit, but the covers are too big
« Last Edit: 12 November 2021, 18:05 by Wrex22 »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2021, 18:16 »
Most alloy wheel retailers won’t stock bolt covers. Some will sell you a fancy set of coloured bolts though!
SEAT bolts have hex covers not round so are slightly smaller in overall diameter. They’re the same size whether Leon, Ibiza, Arona etc.

If you’re dead set on ordering CM reps then try your VW nut covers anyway as you might find they fit.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2021, 23:24 »
Hey boy! Them’s quare wheels o yours, so they are. -  Ulster colloquialism for, ‘Those wheels are rather smashing’. I am not biased or anything.  :grin:
« Last Edit: 13 November 2021, 23:30 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.