Author Topic: Tyre replacement  (Read 1047 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Tyre replacement
« on: 10 November 2021, 13:17 »
About a year ago I had 4 PS4Ss put on my car. The offside front now needs replacing. I've done about 5000 miles in that time.

The nearside front may _also_ need replacing, as I'm having to put air in it about once a month, but I suspect that will be just down to the valve. I'm going to get it checked.

Assuming that tyre is fine, is it ok to just replace one tyre? I know the recommendation is to do them in pairs, but at 175 quid a pop, I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Would it be wise to get one replaced, then get the two with the most tread moved to the back?

Annoyingly, as an aside, if I bought the tyre yesterday, I would've been able to get 15% off. Now it's just 10% off and only if you buy two!  :cry:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: Tyre replacement
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2021, 13:24 »
I guess it depends on how much tread is on the other tyre. Whilst I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about replacing tyres in pairs across similar axles on a FWD car, I suppose if the other tyre is nearly worn out then it would be a good idea to replace both ?

Out of interest, how have you only managed 5000 miles from a tyre - do you rag the car everywhere, or did it sustain some damage ? I still have the factory fit Pirelli P-Zeros on my 2018 GTI with just under 20,000 miles on it, and the worst tyre still has 4.5mm of tread. OK I know I'm an old fart and don't' drive the GTI balls out, and that the PS4's are a softer compound, but there's no way I could live with 5000 miles between tyre changes ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2021, 14:51 »
There's a bubble on the sidewall so it needs to go. I therefore need to get it sorted ASAP, but ideally I'd get the other wheel checked beforehand, and having to book an appointment for that puts the new tyre back further. I could replace one, then the other, but that'll be more expensive as I can't save the 10%. Only 17 quid, I suppose, but it's something

steve12345

« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2021, 20:01 »
Is a bubble in side wall a manufacture defect? can you get a replacement under warranty for something like this?

5000 miles is nothing, you should have a decent amount of tread left on those tyres. If your still within 12 months I'd ask that question first to whoever you purchased the tyres from. If not covered by warranty then I guess its just one of those unfortunate scenarios where a good tyre is ruined and we have to suck up the cost to replace.

Unless if you are driving the socks off your car all the time, and have burnt through all your tyre tread - that's a self inflicted consequence of having too much "fun"

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2021, 11:19 »
Is a bubble in side wall a manufacture defect? can you get a replacement under warranty for something like this?

5000 miles is nothing, you should have a decent amount of tread left on those tyres. If your still within 12 months I'd ask that question first to whoever you purchased the tyres from. If not covered by warranty then I guess its just one of those unfortunate scenarios where a good tyre is ruined and we have to suck up the cost to replace.

Unless if you are driving the socks off your car all the time, and have burnt through all your tyre tread - that's a self inflicted consequence of having too much "fun"

I don't know how long the bubble has been there, unfortunately. I have kerbed that alloy but I'm pretty sure that was pre- these tyres. Is a kerbing (at VERY) slow speed likely to cause a bubble? I ask because I kerbed it the other day while parallel parking - while I was checking the alloy (which I don't think would've touched the kerb at all, I don't think - the MPS4S provides good rim protection) I spotted the bubble.

Offline JMS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2021, 11:26 »
« Last Edit: 11 November 2021, 11:29 by JMS »
Previous Dubs now sold:
- Manual Mk7 CSG PP, stg1, RS3 bushes, 26mm RARB & a lot of carnauba.
- DSG mkV R32, black with even more carnauba
- Manual Corrado VR6, dragon green
- Manual Polo G40 - Tornado red, Jabbasport ported charger
- Mk2 Big Bumper 8v GTI, Calypso blue

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2021, 11:45 »
You should be able to get one for £150 have you tried camskill?
Blackcircles also have them at £150 iirc

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s24p167794/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_4S_PS4S_-_235_35_R19_%2891Y%29_XL_%28DT1%29_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

Blackcircles is where I'm looking. £176 fitted, and it's right by my office