Author Topic: Dynamic wheel centres  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Ashtons99

• Not said much yet
Dynamic wheel centres
« on: 08 November 2021, 21:54 »
Has anyone any experience of these. I’m fancying a set for my TCR. I’ve read a couple of eBay reviews and they seem to be good but a couple have mentioned having to pack them a bit as they weren’t a tight fit in the wheel centre hole.
They can be had for around £100 a set genuine vw which I don’t mind paying if they are good

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
Re: Dynamic wheel centres
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2021, 13:49 »
I have these on mine,really wanted them at the time and at first I thought they looked great (parked on our drive)-but now they’ve been on a while,I think they are just an over priced gimmick which only other people notice as you drive along-you can’t even notice them driving past big shop windows,which I never do because you should always have your eyes on the road ahead.
Oh and the slightest bit of grit can cause them to jam.
There are two versions old VW and new VW emblems,I bought the new version as it is smooth,not 3D like the older version.
I then had some custom red/black gel badges made to stick onto them,to tie into all my other badges/emblems,which are also red/black,as I’m not a lover of chrome.

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2021, 14:19 »
I've had the VW OEM version on my TCR for two years with no issues.  Granted at £100 they aren't cheap but I like the way they look. No issues with fit or grit.
TCR 3 door

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2021, 15:34 »
I have these on mine,really wanted them at the time and at first I thought they looked great (parked on our drive)-but now they’ve been on a while,I think they are just an over priced gimmick which only other people notice as you drive along-you can’t even notice them driving past big shop windows,which I never do because you should always have your eyes on the road ahead.
Oh and the slightest bit of grit can cause them to jam.
There are two versions old VW and new VW emblems,I bought the new version as it is smooth,not 3D like the older version.
I then had some custom red/black gel badges made to stick onto them,to tie into all my other badges/emblems,which are also red/black,as I’m not a lover of chrome.

I'm amazed there was ever a time that you thought £100 for some centre caps DIDN'T constitute an overpriced gimmick!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2021, 18:25 »
Amen to that sjw but have you seen the cost of OEM Clubsport caps?  :shocked:
Mind you, 8R owners don’t blanch at spending £3.5k on an Akrapovic exhaust so it’s all perspective.
Madness, all of it.
God I’m getting old.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2021, 19:03 »
I just got carried away when I first bought the car.
They don’t jam all the time,in fact not very often at all,I meant small grit can get in,it has happened to mine on a couple of occasions during the winter,not all of them just an odd one.
Easy to sort,just get a soft brush-no need to remove them or anything like that.

Offline JMS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2021, 20:31 »
To be honest they remind me of those spinners wheels that were a fad 20-odd years ago. :laugh:

https://youtu.be/UtgwluyNTQE
Previous Dubs now sold:
- Manual Mk7 CSG PP, stg1, RS3 bushes, 26mm RARB & a lot of carnauba.
- DSG mkV R32, black with even more carnauba
- Manual Corrado VR6, dragon green
- Manual Polo G40 - Tornado red, Jabbasport ported charger
- Mk2 Big Bumper 8v GTI, Calypso blue

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2021, 20:32 »
Amen to that sjw but have you seen the cost of OEM Clubsport caps?  :shocked:
Mind you, 8R owners don’t blanch at spending £3.5k on an Akrapovic exhaust so it’s all perspective.
Madness, all of it.
God I’m getting old.

But it's titanium it's a modern handbrake turn to women! :wink:

I've no experience with the VW 'Spinny' Caps but have worked with the BMW ones. They're quite nice, not my thing personally but I can see the appeal for photos. I prefer the badge aligned with the air valve, so opted for the clubsport ones but they were free.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Ashtons99

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2021, 21:19 »
Thanks for the replies folks, it seems these days just plain centre caps are a fortune for most cars so £100 isn’t that far off. I may give them a try.

Offline Ashtons99

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2021, 21:21 »
I've had the VW OEM version on my TCR for two years with no issues.  Granted at £100 they aren't cheap but I like the way they look. No issues with fit or grit.

Do you happen to know what part no yours are, it seems like there 2 different ones