Author Topic: Goodbye TCR  (Read 970 times)

Offline Ado

• Not said much yet
Goodbye TCR
« on: 04 November 2021, 10:25 »
The TCR is now sitting on the drive awaiting collection, ever since we got an ID3 in October 20 the TCR has done 3k miles so it doesn't make sense to keep it. The recent car prices and the fact that I haven't lost anything in two years is a big factor.

Anyhow it is being replaced by an EV6 RWD, I wanted an ID4 but lead time is 6/9 months whereas the Kia was in stock. I'll probably look at changing it next year dependent on stock levels and used car prices.

I am sure I'll get another 7.5 GTi but most probably an early non performance one, let's see what the used car market is like in a couple of years.
TCR Ordered 10/06/19

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Goodbye TCR
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2021, 10:29 »
I'd be really interesting to hear what you think of the EV6!!

And the ID3....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2021, 11:14 »
The ID3 is a great car for my usage which is mostly city driving, the only thing I miss about the golf is the occasion when you can go fast but it spends most of its time in traffic or behind other cars on forest roads. The lack of emissions, 2p a mile and its charged every morning is perfect for me.

Interior wise it isn’t as nice as the golf but I don’t seem to care anymore, the controls are aso nothing like what every reviewer says, it’s responsive enough and I have no trouble with the lack of physical buttons.

I am looking forward to the ev6 especially the fast charging, for our trips to Brittany via eurotunnel it should mean fewer stops. We managed to have just one 15min charge from Calais to Brittany in the ID3 so I think the EV6 will be two 10 mins stop even if we drive faster.
TCR Ordered 10/06/19

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2021, 11:38 »
Interesting Ado!

I agree about the VW buttonless design on my Mk8.... its different but its not really an issue once you get used to it. As far as I am concerned the reviewers gripes about it are just them being picky. If it didn't bloody have errors left right and centre, I'd not have any complaints at all.

Have you driven an EV6 yet?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Ado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2021, 14:34 »
I think VW focused on getting the ID software working since it’s such an important range and forgot about the golf, I have no problems with the software at all except it needs 30s on start up. This is the second ID3 and it’s never had any errors, the first one on original software did but nothing serious.

First drive will be today, I’ll be testing the adaptive/matrix led.
TCR Ordered 10/06/19

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2021, 14:56 »
Its weird because I am fairly sure the ID3 runs identical software on identical hardware... albeit with some customisation elements for the differences.

The ID3 has OTA updates enabled, the Mk8 doesn't - its in the system, just not enabled.

I don't really understand the mess VAG made here.

Matrix lights are great - the Mk8 has them, really fantastic!

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2021, 16:18 »
The TCR is now sitting on the drive awaiting collection, ever since we got an ID3 in October 20 the TCR has done 3k miles so it doesn't make sense to keep it. The recent car prices and the fact that I haven't lost anything in two years is a big factor.

Anyhow it is being replaced by an EV6 RWD, I wanted an ID4 but lead time is 6/9 months whereas the Kia was in stock. I'll probably look at changing it next year dependent on stock levels and used car prices.

I am sure I'll get another 7.5 GTi but most probably an early non performance one, let's see what the used car market is like in a couple of years.

The EV6 looks awesome. Will look forward to hearing your experiences

Offline Ado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2021, 20:08 »
First impressions - nice looking, roomy, good build quality and materials but doesn’t seem as intuitive as an ID3 but let’s see. Headlights are just crap compared to the VW system.

I will be ordering an ID4 anyway so this just has to tie me over.
TCR Ordered 10/06/19