Author Topic: This is not a b!tch but…..  (Read 5695 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
This is not a b!tch but…..
« on: 09 September 2021, 19:56 »
I am on my third Mk7/7.5 and fifth performance Golf.

Been an enthusiastic regular reader of the forum for years, occasionally joining in. Loved it all.

I looked forward to sharing the excitement of the new Mk8 section of the forum where the anticipation and discovery of the new version should be evident in all the posts from early adopters.

But…….reading the Mk8 forum leaves me totally shocked to the extent I will not be buying a Mk8 performance Golf, I will be hanging on to the 7.5 baby I have for some time then moving on, I know not where.

I’m surprised I haven’t read more opinion like this or maybe other forum members are just too polite.

2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: This is not a b!tch but…..
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2021, 20:44 »
I'm sticking with the Mk7.5 for now. Coming up to 4 years old but I don't see a good reason to change right now.

Got my eye on the Mk8 hoping VW can finally resolve its software woes, but am not holding my breath.
7.5 GTD

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2021, 20:47 »
I'm not one for regular changing of my cars, some stay a short while, others for a very long time. Having not long splashed out on my current car (I'm a tight cash buyer) I wasn't really going to be an early adopter of a MK8, particularly as I don't care for some of the looks. But all the problems would certainly have put me right off. I suspect my TCR will be on the drive for quite some time yet as there seems very little point in changing it as it does all I could ever need barring not being a fan of DSG.

IF the option of early retirement raises it's head I might be tempted to let it go for two older cars, a cheap runabout and something a bit special.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2021, 20:50 »
I am currently of the same opinion. My mk6 has had few niggles but still performs well. Enjoying the recent addition of the mk 7.5 pp and pleased at the general build quality although some corner cutting compared to the mk6 . My view of the mk 8 might change if vw get their act together but other manufacturers look increasingly tempting.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2021, 22:49 »
If I was in the market for a new car, I’m afraid the mk8 Golf wouldn’t be on the shortlist. The looks have grown on me and dynamically, VW seem to have done a good job with the mk8. However…………….the software niggles would be a major annoyance that I’m not sure I could live with. The prospect of multiple dealer visits, unsuccessful software updates or to hear there is currently no fix for some of the issues isn’t what I’d be looking for with a new car.

I’ve had my current car (2020 Polo GTI+) exactly a year and apart from its first service yesterday, it has only been back to the dealers once to have a damaged driver’s door sill scuff plate replaced (it was damaged before I took delivery of the car). Everything works as it should and it’s been problem free, and has also been free from creaks and rattles. It was the same with my previous car (previous generation Polo GTI) - problem free and creak/rattle free and only one visit per year to the dealer for an annual service / MOT - and IMO that’s how a new car should be and I don’t think it’s too much to expect (I could live with the odd creak or rattle though).

The mk8 Golf software issues must have been harmful to the VW brand. However, it’s not just the mk8 Golf that’s afflicted by software issues though - other VAG vehicles that are built on the MQB platform that share the same or similar software with the Golf also have software gremlins (e.g. current models of the Audi A3, Skoda Octavia, Seat Leon, VW Tiguan, Seat Ateca - there will probably be others too), so other brands under the VAG umbrella are also likely to have suffered damage in terms of customer dissatisfaction and lost sales. I understand there’s a major software update due very soon that is supposed to fix the known issues; hopefully it does.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2021, 22:51 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2021, 00:15 »
I usually cross shop all the hatchback VAG offerings. I would have been happy with any one of them from the last generation, but honestly I wouldn't touch any of the new ones.

I think I'll keep a mk7/7.5 until I'm obliged to buy something electric.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2021, 05:33 »
Mate, you're far from alone, I suspect. 

I think there is a fair bit of restraint out of respect to mk8 owners here.  I know there have been some pretty defensive retorts from a few owners when anyone dare criticise the mk8.  Which is natural, I guess, as these are large financial investments and no-one likes to admit they've made a mistake or are unhappy.  Although I note some of them seem to be coming around.

As for me, there is a snowflake's chance in hell I'll be buying another VW (or VAG) car using the buttonless, touchscreen interface.  Even if, and it's a huge if IMO, the software worked faultlessly I still could not stomach either the functionality or aesthetic of that interior and driver interface.  Some people get in their car, drive away and never touch any controls.  I'm the opposite.  And I know I'm far from alone.  Safe and tactile buttons and dials I can operate without have to divert my attention from the road for a dangerous amount of time is paramount for me.  And as for the "well you won't have a choice, everything will be digital" retort, yes I will and no it won't.  You don't have to look very far at the Golf's competitors to realise that.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to sell my 7.5 GTI manual (the last of them here in Aus) for an MX5 RF, or keep it until the EV invasion in 2 to 3 years ideally for something like the Honda-e (or similar).  My 7.5 has been faultless and I still quite enjoy driving it, but the recent addition to our household of a Mazda 3 Astina has opened my eyes.  A lot.  I actually prefer driving the Astina to my 7.5 GTI.  The steering in particular is more feelsome and natural.  It's a genuinely enjoyable steer and drive.  Hence the MX5 interest.

Personally I think VW are taking a huge gamble with the mk8's buttonless digital interface.  I'd guess it's a deliberate ploy to move their owner age profile down into the digital native generation.  But how many of those have the means to shell out for a new VW, with it's increasingly premium class pricing? 

And I cannot see VW ever going back to buttons and dials.

Sorry for the long post and brutal honesty, but VW has lost me as a customer.  Especially now I've realised most of the other brands have caught up and in some cases surpassed the Golf and even GTI for driver enjoyment.  And especially interface design, quality and ambience.  Mk8?  Nah, I'll pass, thanks.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2021, 06:16 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2021, 08:34 »
I feel the same, too.

I dislike the touch only interface in the mk8, which even ignoring the massive software is enough to put me off it.

My other pet hat is the silly tablet in the centre that sticks out like an eyesore, even though that's not quite as bad as the rubbish cheap look Tesla have opted for with their dashboard. 

If VW are trying to remove dials to make the interior less cramped why did they keep the massive centre area where you could just put a small lever somewhere for the DSG lever.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2021, 10:46 »
 The MK8 for me is a bit of a dichotomy really. When it was first launched I hated the looks and the interior. When the performance models were launched, I didn't like (and still don't like) the huge gaping front plastic grill or the foglight design on the GTI's, but it did look better on both the Clubsport and R models. So my opinions on the external styling have certainly softened over time, but I'm biased and will still say, overall the MK7.5 in my humble opinion is the most pleasing and sorted styling wise of the models.

The interior for me is where it falls down. I'm in my late 50's so certainly not the playstation generation, but I just don't like the completely buttonless interior and "minimalistic" design. Also, and I know these aren't biggies, but it continues to annoy me how VW in every preceding facelift or model type continue to remove things to please the beancounters. I know for instance going from the MK7.5 to the MK8 we've lost, hydraulic bonnet stay, illuminated door sill trims (or sill trims of any kind), flecked glovebox lining, CD player, SD Card slots, undersea drawers etc. Like I say not biggies and if you like the car enough certainly not enough to deter you, but it's not like they are cheap cars to begin with, with the R especially in bog standard form now costing just under £40k. Sure I know you get better ambient illumination options (especially now in the back) which is nice, but that feature on it's own, wouldn't make me choose this car over another.

I could forgive all the above if the new Golf was dynamically leaps and bounds about the old and the new tech was really "wow". However from my (albeit limited) time in a MK8 Clubsport that I test drove some months ago, whilst you could argue that dynamically it has moved on, it's certainly not night and day and you really have to be pushing on at some speed to really notice any appreciable difference. But the tech was just horrible. Sure I might get used to it over time, but in the short drive I had with it, there must have been at least 3 or 4 warnings come up on screen (ACC not available, Park pilot not available etc), and the infotainment screen (and thus the climate controls) completely locking up and freezes not once but twice in a 2 hour drive.

I'm sorry, but owners should NOT be the beta testers for this software, and I feel for the owners of MK8's that are still experiencing major software issues over a year after taking delivery. That simply is not acceptable but sadly looks like the way of the future for VW and quite a few other marques. I too think that my current MK7.5 GTI will be my last VW as I think they have just lost the plot and are only interested really in EV cars, and customer service levels from the dealership network and the UK headquarters are just so bad.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2021, 10:50 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Pete-r36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2021, 11:24 »
When I first saw the 8 I wasn’t keen on the styling, but that’s grown on me a bit. I still think the 7.5 is a better looking car outside and a car more friendly car inside. Plus the lack of 3 door and lack of manual options on some models will imho make some of the 7.5s the last of the line (biased there though).

I can see an 8.5 coming within the next 18 months which will probably fix some of the issues.

A friend of mine summed it up the other day, the mk1/2/5/7 will go down as the classics, the 3/4/6/8 probably wont.