Author Topic: Chemical stains on front bumper black elements  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
Re: Chemical stains on front bumper black elements
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2021, 07:57 »
As it’s a textured trim, I’d use apc (all purpose cleaner) and agitate with a brush and let sit for a couple of minutes.

Can you provide a photo of the white stain ? Could it be a water spot stain ?
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline brian1983

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2021, 10:08 »
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I’m away at the moment but when I get home at the weekend I’ll upload some pictures. Before I put on the C4 trim restorer I used an APC and agitated it using one of those detailing brushes. I’m going to repeat that but use a toothbrush this time.

I don’t think is water stains as it would of come out by now I would of thought. I’ve been online looking around and it looks like I can replace all the parts for about €160 which isn’t that bad really. The only part I don’t like is how difficult it would be to remove all that trim. But, if I have to do it for it to be right then I’ll do it.

I’ve been looking at this website to get the parts; https://www.lllparts.co.uk/_/product/vent-grille/mpn/5G0853677AF/. I’ve been using this site to get the part numbers but I’ll need to find an EU site to get the parts as I’m in Ireland. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
2018 7.5 GTI White

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2021, 11:19 »
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I’m away at the moment but when I get home at the weekend I’ll upload some pictures. Before I put on the C4 trim restorer I used an APC and agitated it using one of those detailing brushes. I’m going to repeat that but use a toothbrush this time.

I don’t think is water stains as it would of come out by now I would of thought. I’ve been online looking around and it looks like I can replace all the parts for about €160 which isn’t that bad really. The only part I don’t like is how difficult it would be to remove all that trim. But, if I have to do it for it to be right then I’ll do it.

I’ve been looking at this website to get the parts; https://www.lllparts.co.uk/_/product/vent-grille/mpn/5G0853677AF/. I’ve been using this site to get the part numbers but I’ll need to find an EU site to get the parts as I’m in Ireland. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Water marks can be extremely stubborn at times. You could try vinegar to see if it helps but hopefully it will be clearer once you’ve had a chance to take photos.
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2021, 21:07 »

It sounds like it's just polish/compound from the previous owner/dealership, I take that you got the car recently?

Use a steam cleaner & microfibre on them, it will take the polish off.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline brian1983

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2021, 22:48 »
Yeah, I got it about a month ago and the dealer must of used a dressing to hide the stains. I’ll try the steam cleaner too, the more I throw at it the better chance I have.
2018 7.5 GTI White

Offline brian1983

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 29 August 2021, 12:25 »
Photos of staining, I’m going to try the steam cleaner later today.

« Last Edit: 29 August 2021, 14:10 by brian1983 »
2018 7.5 GTI White

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 29 August 2021, 15:44 »
Now I’ve seen it, I’d say it looks like polish. Have you got any panel wipe ?
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline brian1983

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 29 August 2021, 16:07 »
I’ve just spent the last 25 mins using a pencil eraser and it’s seems to have worked. I’m just waiting to see if it comes back. But fingers crossed it’ll hold, I used a steam cleaner with a microfibre cloth but that didn’t seem to have any effect. What brand of panel cleaner would you recommend?

I’ll post pictures when later to let everyone know what it turned out like.
2018 7.5 GTI White

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 29 August 2021, 16:36 »
This is what I use before applying any wax or ceramic coating. It will strip most things from paintwork and trim. Especially polish ! Worth investing in for the future.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-U-POL-SYSTEM-20-S2001-FAST-PANELWIPE-DEGREASER-5L-Panel-wipe-Upol-/174043144604?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline brian1983

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 29 August 2021, 19:57 »
This is what I’ve managed after about 30mins with a white pencil eraser.

2018 7.5 GTI White