Author Topic: Clubsport order thread  (Read 107931 times)

Offline Jake70

• Just got here
Re: Clubsport order thread
« Reply #410 on: 12 May 2022, 20:13 »
Thank you sir  :smiley: and no, definitely not a goodbye. I'll be here for a while yet because I need to see what everyone thinks of their CS when they (eventually) arrive!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #411 on: 12 May 2022, 20:59 »
16 months in and rather fond of mine.

I’m usually well down the road towards my next car by that point but honestly can’t think of anything to tempt me so far.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Spinkerson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #412 on: 16 May 2022, 09:28 »
Ordered 18th feb 2021 and still no word. I’m wanting to sell my current gti private but will have to wait for a confirmed build week 🙉🙉

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #413 on: 16 May 2022, 09:31 »
Some of the wait times quoted on here are crazy - inexplicable. I ordered my CS this week last year and took delivery in September.... and I thought that was long enough.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #414 on: 16 May 2022, 09:37 »
Ordered 18th feb 2021 and still no word. I’m wanting to sell my current gti private but will have to wait for a confirmed build week 🙉🙉

I orders pretty much exactly the same time as you, still no date for me either

Some of the wait times quoted on here are crazy - inexplicable. I ordered my CS this week last year and took delivery in September.... and I thought that was long enough.

Was it a canceled order? as that's very quick!
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #415 on: 16 May 2022, 09:57 »

I orders pretty much exactly the same time as you, still no date for me either

Was it a canceled order? as that's very quick!

No, a fresh factory order. I am in Ireland though, so that's probably a factor. I do know that if I was to order it again today it would be a very different story, due to the ongoing chip shortages etc. I think I got relatively lucky with my timing.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #416 on: 17 May 2022, 14:19 »
What exactly does disabling ESC actually achieve on public roads?

Maybe I’m getting too old for all this.

I find the engine pretty responsive from quite low down with relatively little pedal travel unlike the woeful mk7(.5) pedal response so long as you’re in the right gear.
The gearbox in Comfort does feel like a bucket of slush at times if you’ve been pootling then want a burst of go without resorting to paddles or S mode. At other times even in Comfort the gearbox can work with you if you get the throttle positioning just right. The TCU seems to pick up on recent averages.
Obviously in manual mode you have DSG limitations of only one gear at a time which is often not optimal.
Sport tends to be a bit frenetic.

Sounds like a well specced car you tested Damian, most of the examples I’ve seen of regular Clubsports are either standard spec launch cars or well loaded Ed45’s. Shows there must have been a few production runs despite the stupidly long waits people are having to endure.
By the time you’ve waited 18 months for a build slot there could have been any number of more interesting models released to market. You’ve gotta be dedicated for that sort of wait.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2022, 14:21 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #417 on: 17 May 2022, 15:35 »
Seems to be standard behavior, have a car in your shop window which looks like it's for sale but isn't. People come in to look and next thing they know they are ordering a new one which will turn up in 3 - 18 months lol.

In other news by estimated build week jumped down from week 46 to week 26, must be a glitch in the system  :laugh:
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #418 on: 17 May 2022, 16:04 »
Maybe it was a glitch or something but when ESC was enabled there was vitually no throttle response in first, better in second and the car came alive in third. Turning the ESC off seemed to allow the car to behave "normally" if you like.. I was in manual mode and sport as I wanted to try and compare the mk8 to my 7.5 R

The car is reasonably well specced ( not as well as the one in Coulsdon at £47.6k which i think has almost every option ticked  :shocked: ) and I asked them why they'd put the price up £3000 when i expressed some interest in it. Their response was that they don't want to sell it as they'd have no demo model to show to potential customers. If i want that car, I could put down a deposit but they'd insist on keeping the car another 3 months until a replace arrives...Odd..

But I do agree with you about the current cars on the market, they're almost all base spec without winter pack so of no interest to me..

Or I could go mad and spend £45k on a 22 plate GTi which seems steep..

Does sound a bit odd behaviour, was the car very low mileage(?)  as they tend to suddenly free up somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles.

I’ve got to admit I’ve not been in a VW dealer for 16 months nor looked at autotrader etc so am going purely from examples I’ve seen (very few) or seen posted up online but from what you say there definitely must be a trickle coming through. Some slight reassurance there!

For £45k I’d want a fully loaded R!!

How did you find the performance compared to your R?

WelshGolf, that’s week 26 next year…

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #419 on: 18 May 2022, 13:16 »
The R is always going to be much much quicker off the line, agreed. A “better” car in many ways.
Maybe I’m just well used to my CS but the throttle application in the one you tried doesn’t sound quite “right” compared to my own experience (ex mk7 GTI/R/GTD/ed40/TCR owner). Always great to hear other people’s experiences though as everyone drives differently and has a different feel for the car’s dynamics/quality/spec/looks etc.

Is it worth a long wait though? If I had to wait 18 months I’d have changed my mind about what car I wanted at least half a dozen times in that time  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner