Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 111733 times)

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #500 on: 28 November 2021, 13:28 »
Oh no! I really feel for you Si. What a nightmare. That’s one for the insurance to sort I’m guessing(?)
How much damage did the car suffer all in?

What did I do to my mk8 today? Gave it a wash for the second time this week. Bloody hell it was cold.

Yesterday I gave it some slalom practice dodging branches blown all over the road at 5am. Safe to say it would pass the elk test quite well. The IQ lights never cease to impress me. Occasionally they don’t impress oncoming drivers though.

On Friday I discovered Pilot Sport 4S don’t corner at all in wet snow. The first snow I’ve seen since March 2018 and thankfully it was gone in under an hour.

Yeah mate just more frustrating that I haven't done it myself, just top of the bonnet dented in the middle about 6 inches and heavily scratched and couple blew onto alloys and chipped them two. Hit 3 cars in total but mine was the least of the damage

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #501 on: 28 November 2021, 22:53 »
It’s just one of those things we all dread happening. Unfortunate that it happened to you but as you say, it could have been worse. Fingers crossed you manage to get a prompt and high quality repair.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #502 on: 09 December 2021, 18:28 »
Today the car had its first service.
Not so much what I did to my mk8 today as I barely lifted a finger!
Proof for those that have known me since the mk6 and mk7 days I can keep a car 12 months 😁

Software still on 1666 and still fairly stable (although the car does have things I’ve yet to use still)

I’ll update my car thread at some point soon for a 12 month running report but it’ll be scant news.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #503 on: 13 December 2021, 14:00 »
So today I fitted some new wheels,I seriously damaged 2 of the Pretoria reps I had a while back and you can’t buy individual replacements ,had to put up with the richmonds for 5 weeks.

Looks miles better now with Bola B11’s fitted,just need vw badges for the centre caps(custom order as they are 67mm).

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #504 on: 14 April 2022, 10:50 »
Took mine into Autoglass for a new screen.  :sad:

Picked up a chip last week and, although it was right in my eye-line, it was small enough to qualify for a fill - around the size of a pea.  The tech turned up and warned me that there's a good chance that it might crack when he was trying to fill it and it did.  £75 excess.  Lovely.  :undecided:

Also booked in for a service.  Just hit 18k miles and it popped up.  Looks like this long-life service plan is pretty common now.  Thankfully, I have a service plan, so don't need to fork out for that, at least.

Tyres shouldn't be too far away though!  :rolleyes:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #505 on: 16 April 2022, 19:42 »
Didn’t want to start a new topic so thought it would fit in fine here as I have bought a new battery. So, had the car 8 months and I have just bought my second battery for my key after again the car is saying it’s low and needs replacing. It’s not a cheap one either it’s a Duracell I changed it to last time. Anyone else had this issue! I mean two batteries in 8 months can’t be right.
Current car: Manual MK8 GTI 245, Deep black pearl.
Ordered: DSG MK8 Clubsport, DCC, Pure white.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #506 on: 16 April 2022, 22:23 »
Mine came up saying replace key battery exactly one year after I got it.

I thought "I've not got a battery, I'll swap to my spare key I've never used"

Same problem...

Weird.

I seem to remember reading something from vw saying the battery should last five years...

In other news, I've got some new tyres. Ps4S
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #507 on: 17 April 2022, 14:17 »
Trawling eBay and found these. Look decent, expensive but decent. The same seller does ‘R’, ‘Clubsport’ and ‘GTi’ ones also.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304437778629?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=mHSD6dKKTMq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=YD0vxvFlRQG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Current car: Manual MK8 GTI 245, Deep black pearl.
Ordered: DSG MK8 Clubsport, DCC, Pure white.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #508 on: 17 April 2022, 17:27 »
Trawling eBay and found these. Look decent, expensive but decent. The same seller does ‘R’, ‘Clubsport’ and ‘GTi’ ones also.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304437778629?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=mHSD6dKKTMq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=YD0vxvFlRQG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
I do like those! Yeah, they're a bit steep but thry look the best I've seen so far by a long way.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline DB99

• Not said much yet
« Reply #509 on: 18 April 2022, 12:34 »
Just ordered a set. Will let you know what quality is like etc when they arrive.

From the ones I have seen so far, judging from the pictures, these appear to be the best fit, i.e. no gaps.