Author Topic: UK R32 production figures  (Read 12716 times)

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
Re: UK R32 production figures
« Reply #10 on: 12 December 2005, 13:56 »
anybody think if it is able to make some tuning on the mk r32 then the handling will be better than mk5 gti?

Tuning on the Mk... What... R32???
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline bleu610

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 12 December 2005, 14:20 »
sori, i mean mk5 r32
because people said the factory original tuning on this new r32 is very bad

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #12 on: 10 June 2006, 12:24 »
Iv'e had both the Mk5 GTi and R32 and heres what I think of them.

GTI =

The best looking Mk5 Golf
More Fun Orientated
Great roadholding
Great Noises from engine
Fast a-b
All the thrills and spills of FWD and 200 BHP.
Not all that in the wet

R32 =

Second best looking Mk5
More Serious
Fantatic road holding
The best sounding golf ever - have you ever heard one of these babys go?
Very fast a-b
Non of the 2WD thirlls - short of 4 wheel drift at the edge of its roadholding ability
What rain?

Choice between the two if they were on my path.......

Now thats a hard one :wink:

Offline johnmotion

• Just got here
mk5 r32 drive
« Reply #13 on: 18 July 2006, 13:56 »
Yeah i had a drive of the new r32. handling better than the mk 4 as the ride is sofer but maintains its stability around the corners. Brakes are improved but didn't really notice the horsepower increase. I reckon for the money the old mk4 is a better option and i prefer the old styling (plus you can find the mk5 front bumper on a passat so it is not unique)
Any thoughts anyone?

Offline illyun

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2006, 16:21 »
I had a Mk5 GTI and have just bought a Mk5 R32. Which is better?  It depends on what you want out of the car... I think I prefer the R32 as an everyday car and the GTI as a weekend fun car... I posted a review  of my experience over the past two days of ownership (current mileage 750 miles :laugh:) and have pasted it below...

Well well.... the R32 is a revelation and the DSG gearbox is sweet as a nut     

My take on the R32... - given that this is only the 2nd new car I have ever bought, I am a tad overwhelmed by the experience of both the GTI and R32... the previous record for the newest car I had owned was a P-Reg Mk3 8v GTI     bought in 2004 and sold last year - nice cruiser but nasty GTI. 

Anyway the R32Â…[/b]

Drive: Still running the car in.  I am usually very strict about things like this and run in my previous Mk5 GTI textbook style and am doing so with this R32. However I couldnÂ’t resist putting my foot down – although not to the redline – on a couple of occasions just to listen to the engine growl – absolutely gorgeous – and the acceleration.  Compared to the Mk5 GTI, I have to say that the R32 seems more mature, refined and completeÂ… it almost makes the GTI look boy-racish. 

Looks:  Not much to say really except that a Pearl Blue, 3-Door R32 looks the dogs test-icles   

DSG:   Now I am a die-hard fan of manual gearboxes and I have spoken out in their favour on several posts on this forum.  However, I really feel that the DSG box complements the R32 perfectly. In fact for me a manual R32 doesnÂ’t make sense unless you wanted to supercharge the engine and put some serious amounts of torque and power through the transmission.  Only a mad person would do that though eh Doc?   - but a recent post by The Doc provides a link to a 550bhp Golf with DSG!   

So a manual R32 doesnÂ’t make sense to me, period. 

As for the DSG box itself it is everything that I thought it would be and more.  Everything I thought it would be, meaning all the good things I have read about it and more meaning that with the R32 I didnÂ’t miss the manual nearly as much as I thought I would.  If you want to make efficient use of the engine and that 250hp, then DSG is the way to go.  The only thing I find slightly annoying is having to press the break pedal when changing to D from N at, say the traffic lights or am I doing something wrong? It took me 2 hours in the car to realise that I didnÂ’t have to keep putting it in P-Parking mode everytime I stopped at the lights or in heavy traffic.  'Ah, so thatÂ’s what the Neutral is for' I thought as the realisation dawned upon meÂ…. :embarassed: :embarassed:

Also, in D mode I find that the car doesn’t move off as smoothly as a manual – it revs to around 15-20k rpm and then starts moving unless I apply more pressure to the accelerator in which case there is still a very small lag. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Conclusion:
  Well IÂ’ve got an Edition 30 on order – fully loaded except for DSG – and my experience with the DSG box isnÂ’t enough to persuade me to add it on the list of options for that car.  I still like the manual box even though I canÂ’t imagine making as efficient progress in a manual GTI.  But I still like the flexibility in terms of driving, familiarity and no fuss in terms of tuning that a manual provides.

On the other hand I liked driving the R32 with DSG so much that I donÂ’t think I can do without it now – IÂ’m hooked.      So it looks like the Edition 30 will have to be a weekend car – as I always planned it to be – and I will probably end up replacing the R32 next September with another DSG carÂ…   

DSG =  :tongue: :tongue: :evil: :drool: :drool:
Mk1 GTI Campaign, Mk5 GTI Edition 30, Mk6 GTI (Coming Soon...)

Offline illyun

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 27 November 2006, 16:24 »
Handling on the Mk5 R32 is fantastic and anyone saying otherwise hasn't driven one/doesn't know what they are talking about.  As for the Mk4 R32, I can't imagine it handling better esp with that horrid chassis it was cursed with.  My wife has a 2001 Mk4 Golf GTI Turbo and it handles like a turd on wheels - absolute rubbish. Even my Mk3 8v GTI was better than that.
Mk1 GTI Campaign, Mk5 GTI Edition 30, Mk6 GTI (Coming Soon...)

Offline Anthrax

• Just got here
« Reply #16 on: 30 March 2007, 22:40 »
i always seem to see blue r32's... not so keen on the mark 5 tho... to me it looks ugly but thats my opinion :)

I agree i think VW have spoilt the look of the golf...But it just makes the mk4 look even better :cool: :smiley:

Offline haf1zur

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2007, 16:38 »
hi
new to this site
the mkiv is the best
the mkv is ugly in my opinion, reminds me too much of the renault clios
anyways, reflex silver is by far the best colour
hafizur

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 06 May 2007, 12:09 »
hi
new to this site
the mkiv is the best
the mkv is ugly in my opinion, reminds me too much of the renault clios
anyways, reflex silver is by far the best colour
hafizur

I agree that reflex silver is the best :cool:

Disagree that a MKIV is the best. especially in the looks department> if we go down that route then my order IMO would be>>>>

MKV
MKII
MKI
MKIV
MKIII

Bear in mind I'm talking standard models and not modified :wink:
And you can't say I'm not knowledgeable about the MKIV's as I've had a 2.0GTI and a 1.9 GT TDI 130.
Mind you lookswise between them all there isn't much in it and some MKIV's (R32) look better than some MKV's(R32) and some MKIII's like Kniteriders look well cool :cool:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG