Author Topic: Are sports air filters/induction kits a waste of money?  (Read 2945 times)

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
Barryboys love 'em, of course, but do they serve any real purpose? It would be nice if I could get closer to the 240-250hp mark with my GTI VI, but I'm not sure if I'm prepared for a chip/remap (warranty issues). Do thes K&N-type kits actually give you usable extra hp, or do people just fit them to show off?

They look easy to fit (and remove) and are only about £90.

« Last Edit: 18 June 2009, 12:28 by FroGTI »

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: Are sports air filters/induction kits a waste of money?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2009, 12:44 »
They will improve throttle response and give you a little more power but nothing to shout about. Its basic maths really.

More air = more combustion = more power.

If you want get anywhere CLOSE to 240 -250 you will HAVE to get a remap, no way around it.

Jkctr

« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2009, 20:57 »
Most kits will lose you power as they are open

Hot air (less air) = less combustion = less power

You will need a decent enclosed one made of heat resistant materials (carbon fibre) and a well placed pipe to get lots of fresh air.

Something like a gruppe m, but its very expensive and will give you about 6bhp top end!

In short, no they are not worth it. Manufacturers spend thousands on things like air filters. If you are upgrading the filter its worth adding an exhaust and remap to fully utilize it and make a higher accumulative BHP figure (a filter could give that extra bhp to knock you up from 245 to 250 bhp for bragging rights)

:smiley:

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2009, 23:05 »
Very sound advice there tbh.

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2009, 08:21 »
Very sound advice there tbh.

+1. Yes, many thanks for your clear & informative reply. You have basically saved me £90 :)

Peskarik

« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2009, 23:58 »
air in - air out.
Just air in will not make any difference