Author Topic: Remus Responder (pedal box) Forum Discount  (Read 9262 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Remus Responder (pedal box) Forum Discount
« Reply #20 on: 21 September 2017, 00:16 »
The Remus box is the same as the old style DTUK box that they used to sell (maybe they still do?).  Does it have the nasty old style clip, or have they updated it to the proper VW one as per the DTUK version?

That's a very good point.  Is it the old dodgy grey clip or new oem style red clip.  I have the old clip version.

This is a good discount for this unit but have say if I was buying a pedal box now I'd be going for the DTUK Pedal Box Plus.

after using both the pedalbox and the pedalbox + is have to agree, the plus is more refined and the "perfect tune" makes things that touch better again.

Just found this on the R forum...

As a few of you will know I now have a pedal box plus fitted to my R.
Having had 3 of the standard type pedal box I was never blown away with it.
I found it to be really good when going for it but had issues where it was either on or off on light throttle.
Other issues I had were on light throttle I could feel a hesitation at certain speeds.
Having had 3 of them I could rule out a faulty unit and could work around this problem by running a pretty tame setting of Sport -2 or -3
This still eliminated the dead spot but made me wonder why I had it if using on a very low setting.
I sold my unit only last week and then while browsing the net found dtuk had released a pedalbox + unit.
After talking to Chris I asked the difference and his reply was that the new unit is smoother in operation and obviously looked much nicer.
I ordered it and it came the next day
Having now done 40 miles with the new one fitted I can confirm that fitting is exactly the same and if the additional holder isn't used it still fits in the cubbyhole perfectly
14fb35120bec6507e05b730ae14add78.jpg

As you can see in the pic I'm already running sport -1.
With the new one I'm switching between sport and sport -1 pickup and operation is smoother without any sign of hesitations and no problem on light throttle in traffic etc.

As Chris said he didn't think it'd warrant anyone who already has one to upgrade due to cost, but I can confirm the new unit is an improvement over the standard unit.

That'll be marshy on VWROC forum.  He's had more pedal boxes than I've had???  Anyway, he never got along with the non plus version but since fitting the DTUK Pedal Box Plus it's been all quiet from him so that must be a good sign.  :grin:  I've never experienced what he did with the older unit and it's still doing what it should and is still by some distance the best thing I've added to my car, but I can't see why anyone buying a new unit now wouldn't opt for the pedal box plus, for the sake of a few quid. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline KCWASP

• Just got here
« Reply #21 on: 21 September 2017, 20:29 »
Just wondering if they are detected by dealer/ecu etc?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #22 on: 21 September 2017, 20:39 »

Pedal boxes? Absolutely not. Remaps of any kind, yeah.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 21 September 2017, 20:44 »

Mine in for service today, pedal box switched off but left in driver's side cubby with microfibre chucked over it.  Dealer non the wiser.  Couldn't switch it back on fast enough. Car crap without it.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Olifran

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 21 September 2017, 20:58 »

Mine in for service today, pedal box switched off but left in driver's side cubby with microfibre chucked over it.  Dealer non the wiser.  Couldn't switch it back on fast enough. Car crap without it.

Completely agree. I've said it before, I could not own the R without one of these. The pedal is dead without one. But i suppose if someone has never used one, they are none the wiser so can understand the scepticism.
Now - MK7.5 R in Pure White with DCC.
Gone - 2014 Mk7 GTI DSG Pure White - Discover Nav - Park Assist - Winter Pack.

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 25 September 2017, 10:35 »
The Remus Responder arrived early Friday morning, giving me the idea opportunity to fit it Friday afternoon in our product testing / detailing bay here at work.

Installation was a breeze, didn’t need to remove either the trim plate or cubby box as I was able to drop the cables down the back of the cubby box and then it was a case of simply swapping the plugs.

I’ve been playing around with it all weekend and have settled on Sport +1 for daily driving as it’s nice and smooth in stop / start traffic with improved pick-up.

As others have commented a pedal box make such a noticeable difference for the better. This is how VW performance cars should come out of the factory!

Also had a quick go in Race mode (Sports Plus) which was fun and would be awesome on a smooth track, with all the slack taken away I can now actually hear the throttle blips when I heel and toe coming down the box.  :grin:

Conclusion: If you are even slightly tempted just go ahead and do it, you won’t be disappointed regardless of which type / brand of pedal box you go for.   :wink:
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline grahamjenks

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 25 September 2017, 18:22 »
I have manual 7.5 non PP on order and am tempted by a pedal box. Everyone seems to have a very high opinion here. Are there are other factors to consider? Do they cause faster wear and tear (I’m guessing no more than would be associated with driving a bit more aggressively)? Assume they need declaring on insurance, do they affect premiums much?
GTI 7.5 Manual Tornado Red - On Order - due any day!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 25 September 2017, 18:31 »
I have manual 7.5 non PP on order and am tempted by a pedal box. Everyone seems to have a very high opinion here. Are there are other factors to consider? Do they cause faster wear and tear (I’m guessing no more than would be associated with driving a bit more aggressively)? Assume they need declaring on insurance, do they affect premiums much?

You don't need to be aggressive to get the benefit, it justs makes the car more responsive so I can't think of why they would cause any more wear and tear. You should declare it on your insurance but I would advise asking your insurer first as they may not want to cover you with it (LV refused to quote me) however my current insurer was fine and no change to my premium (Direct Line). I have the standard DTUK version and would not want to take it off now, it makes such a positive difference.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 26 September 2017, 05:53 »

You don't need to be aggressive to get the benefit, it justs makes the car more responsive so I can't think of why they would cause any more wear and tear. You should declare it on your insurance but I would advise asking your insurer first as they may not want to cover you with it (LV refused to quote me) however my current insurer was fine and no change to my premium (Direct Line). I have the standard DTUK version and would not want to take it off now, it makes such a positive difference.

Indeed.
Being aggressive is not what the pedalbox is about. It won't wear anything out any quicker but might empty your fuel tank a little quicker if you use it to aid the fun factor!

It's low to medium throttle inputs (everyday driving) where the pedalbox makes the car come to life.
It's like comparing a steel toed workboot to a trendy knitted Nike lightweight trainer and going for a run.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 28 September 2017, 15:32 »
Mine came yesterday.....and I missed the delivery  :rolleyes: it so rescheduled it for today. Came and I fitted it in 5minutes and impressed with the difference already. It will be staying in sport mode permanently as I like the response from it. As others have said, I should have got one years ago.