Author Topic: Performance fuel  (Read 23412 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Performance fuel
« Reply #20 on: 20 July 2017, 10:40 »

For the sake of an extra 5p a litre I always use Tesco 99. VW also recommend 98 or higher in a GTI, why would you ignore a manufacturer recommendation?

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

Interesting that the website says that for GTI. Just checked the fuel flap and bit misleading as says Super Unleaded, min 95 Ron?

The minimum and the recommended don't have to be the same fuel.

The Millbrook report is worth a read too.
[/quote]

Agreed, but the info from VW is different.

Website (as per link posted somewhere above) says "For most vehicles standard unleaded is fine (95RON) but for GTI and 'R we recommend super unleaded (98RON)."

Yet fuel flap on mine says 'Super Unleaded, Min 95 Ron'. Is any Super Unleaded less than 97 Ron? Why does it not say Min 98 Ron as per their website?
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 20 July 2017, 11:17 »
Is any Super Unleaded less than 97 Ron? Why does it not say Min 98 Ron as per their website?

The sticker inside the fuel filler flap is multi-lingual so is used in different countries, and unleaded with an octane rating of 98 might not be available in all countries. I think this is the case in Ireland, where I believe the highest octane rating of unleaded is 95.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #22 on: 20 July 2017, 12:05 »
Looking at the flap photos (fnarr, isn't that what the internet is for :D), notice it says 95 ron is Super and 98 ron is "Super Plus"

I'd ignore the "Super" label and just go by the RON number...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 20 July 2017, 13:49 »
i use what the RON rating is on the car, so on the R V-Power, Momentum and BP (if I can't get the other two)

The using what it is tuned for the way forward, when Revo used my Rocco for development and dyne running it used there, 95, 98 and 100 maps on a tank of V Power and you could see the timing pull on the 100 as not up to the mark

in reality my old Polo daily was fed a diet of supermarket 95

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #24 on: 20 July 2017, 13:58 »
100 RON is race use isn't it? I don't think you'll find that anywhere other than either in cans or maybe at a circuit.

BP used to make Ultimate 102 though, although it was for motorsport use only and only a few stations used to sell it.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 20 July 2017, 14:20 »
Our fuel supplier has a  product range of 99 - 119 RON
2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

mattwilko92

« Reply #26 on: 23 July 2017, 17:35 »
Always run my GTI PP on tesco 99 or shell vpower. Why? Because why not, i love my car and will always give it premium oil, tyres, fuel etc. The cost over a year to use higher RON fuel compared to normal - not enough for me care about.

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #27 on: 24 July 2017, 15:50 »
@Mattwilko92

I think ppl are prepared to use better tyres or oil as it will have benefits, however the fuel was (as stated in the handbook) suggested to only have an effect on the R, and not the GTi.  If VW have updated this advice it is interesting and something to try, but many original decisions were based on the handbook advice which said "don't bother" if i remember correctly. 

I am one who has used these fuels in the past in UK and Europe on cars (think its 102ron in Germany at the Ring)  But didn't bother in the GTi as I mentioned above.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 24 July 2017, 21:36 »
@Mattwilko92

I think ppl are prepared to use better tyres or oil as it will have benefits, however the fuel was (as stated in the handbook) suggested to only have an effect on the R, and not the GTi.  If VW have updated this advice it is interesting and something to try, but many original decisions were based on the handbook advice which said "don't bother" if i remember correctly. 

I am one who has used these fuels in the past in UK and Europe on cars (think its 102ron in Germany at the Ring)  But didn't bother in the GTi as I mentioned above.

The VW UK website says: (as per link posted somewhere above) "For most vehicles standard unleaded is fine (95RON) but for GTI and 'R we recommend super unleaded (98RON)."

From the horses mouth, so to speak.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline jjgreenwood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 24 July 2017, 23:11 »
@Mattwilko92

The VW UK website says: (as per link posted somewhere above) "For most vehicles standard unleaded is fine (95RON) but for GTI and 'R we recommend super unleaded (98RON)."

From the horses mouth, so to speak.

All that happens if you don't run it on 98+ ron is it doesn't "FSI" so you lose between 10-30 BHP depending on the model.
Sales Manager - Inchcape Volkswagen Swindon

VW Golf GTI Clubsport S - GO15 CSS