Author Topic: New R Fuel Consumption!!!!!  (Read 12715 times)

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
New R Fuel Consumption!!!!!
« on: 26 May 2017, 17:54 »
Now I guess/hope it will improve but JC is it thirsty, short trips are daft. I have a regular 10 mile round trip to Post office daily. Have barely got over 25mpg and I'm not thrashing it? Tested ECO and drove like a snail or as if in thick fog. Average mph 24!!! yes 24mph! Returned. 24.7 mpg.

Now today , hot what 26C? I turned off A/C opened roof and windows and did trip in Normal, guess what. Ave speed 28mph returned 28.6 mpg.

So conclusion shut A/C folks and open a window. I read that on an old thread plus the inevitable power loss. I know these are never gonna be frugal but once I start tanking it It'll be sub 20! Unless it improves dramatically with miles. Any other suggestions appreciated especially those that had a 7R new (the very learned R.Booth :wink:). And anyone out there with a 7.5 R?

Btw love everything about this machine, at £31.5K an absolute steal. Who needs more?
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: New R Fuel Consumption!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2017, 18:07 »
What were you expecting? Not VW's claimed figures I hope  :laugh:

Your numbers sound about right tbh. Mine is almost 2 years old. I average 26-28mpg long term. I'd get a little over 30 if I was doing longer / motorway runs.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2017, 18:26 »
Performance car = thirst. I'd say don't look at the mpg and enjoy the drive, that's why you bought it presumably? My old Audi had similar economy and none of the performance!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2017, 18:33 »
Have you got leather and sunroof and 19's?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2017, 18:48 »
No leather, standard and good enough now they are black. Recommended saving.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2017, 18:59 »
Keep the windows up use the air con like it was intended for and enjoy the car. If you want fuel economy get a gtd.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2017, 19:01 »
It is a thirsty car, so if you are looking for very regular mpg over the 30 mark, you've bought the wrong car.  Much is influenced by type of journey and driving style too.  My long term average is around 22mpg, but then factor in I run aircon all year round, I don't like sunroofs or driving with open windows. Most of my journeys are a mix of stop/start (with Stop/Start disabled via obdeleven) city driving, rural driving, dual carriageway and a bit of motorway.  I had a decent run out today (dual carriageway mostly) and averaged 28mpg, but once I hit city traffic (especially on a Fri evening) the mpg plummets. City journeys can be anything between 15 - 20mpg. Sometimes as low as 11mpg if traffic is nose to tail.  On longer journeys up to Yorkshire I've averaged 32mpg but that's a rarity.  I had a good idea of what my average mpg would be prior to buying the car, and didn't buy it for economy so no surprises.  It is a performance hatch.

Some get surprisingly good mpg on some journeys, it makes for a talking point over on the R forum, lol. http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/19631-ive-seen-the-myth/#comment-324787

The so called 7.5 hasn't been out long enough to give rise to many average mpg threads, that will come in time.

« Last Edit: 26 May 2017, 19:40 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2017, 19:46 »
Use of aircon makes almost zero impact on mpg in a modern car. Better to use it than not. Lack of use can lead to repair bills later.
As above, it's driving style + journey type that are the major factors. Bumper to bumper stop start city driving, you'll do well to see low 20's. Short commutes, you should get 25-28. Longer journeys, sticking to speed limits, you'll see maybe 34-35 ish, at a stretch. Put the boot down on that long run however and it will plummet under 30 again! Best not to think about it and just drive on and enjoy the car.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2017, 20:02 »
I'm quite surprised, I thought with super granny eco driving you'd at least get mid 30's. This is a sh!tty thing to say but I'm even more happier with my GTI now. I will get an R one day, just not when I have to do 300 miles a week :cool:

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2017, 20:19 »
I'm averaging below 40mpg in a GTD I also never turn the aircon off, haven't done so for the last 20 years or so. Hence the reason I would never spec a sunroof. Besides my hair is falling out quick enough without helping it with a strong wind.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17