Author Topic: Gulf Fuel  (Read 9784 times)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Gulf Fuel
« Reply #30 on: 31 May 2017, 11:10 »
Keh? Define forecourt fuel.

NOT from a supermarket, so basically the major brands.

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 01 June 2017, 21:34 »
What is happening with forums at the moment? They're struggling against the tide of Facebook bullsh!t but seemingly every last detail has to be picked apart by pedants. WTF is the point of posting a dictionary definition of a word in this country?

We have so many regional dialects and words that differ you could get properly arsey all the time but let's be right, for the most part we understand each other regardless of regional dialect and variation and to pick at it is to just be a knob for the sake of it.

<sigh>

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 01 June 2017, 21:55 »
Strange that as the post you refer to gave me a really good laugh! And the response, top stuff!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #35 on: 01 June 2017, 21:59 »
What is happening with forums at the moment? They're struggling against the tide of Facebook bullsh!t but seemingly every last detail has to be picked apart by pedants. WTF is the point of posting a dictionary definition of a word in this country?

We have so many regional dialects and words that differ you could get properly arsey all the time but let's be right, for the most part we understand each other regardless of regional dialect and variation and to pick at it is to just be a knob for the sake of it.

<sigh>
Unfortunately, some people are just arsey. Online personas only serves to amplify a personality.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 01 June 2017, 22:17 »

<sigh>

Made me laugh and I know it's directed at me.

Perhaps it's rather frustrating when people make up terms that isn't obvious as to what it is i.e. 'forecourt fuel' meaning branded fuels, that's so unclear, it has nothing to do with regional dialects. It's not even an abbreviation of a word to create a new one with another or such like, it's just using a noun incorrectly. If I was talking to him I'd have said the same very thing - what are you on about and why do you call it that.

I assume you all instantly knew what he was on about when using that term then huh.

The joys of a forum.

« Last Edit: 01 June 2017, 22:20 by Briggsy »

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 01 June 2017, 22:20 »

<sigh>

In the week and a bit that we have had here in the UK is there not more important things to get point out/get worked up by than the meaning/phrase of a word?

Maybe thinking all people in society can get on is a bit too much but surely it's not too much to ask that us here can, is it?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 02 June 2017, 01:45 »
The only 'major' difference i've ever noticed was years ago when i drove to Scotland to drop my neice in a 1.6 astra, filled up with BP before we left, drove 320 miles on that tank with no problems then filled up at the local Texaco, it was what my grandad would call kangaroo juice!! Car ran awful for a week afterwards!! Never had anything similar since but have never used Texaco since either!

@the OP, never used Gulf in my life but very unlikely it'll be any worse than any other.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Ritchie2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #39 on: 02 June 2017, 11:05 »
Companies like BP, Esso and the so called premium retailers pay car manufacturers to recommend higher priced fuels on their cars. That tells you all you need to know about the supermarket vs premium fuel argument. All fuel is made to a minimum standard, premium fuels have additives which claim to improve performance, reduce wear etc but its all subjective.

Personally I use supermarket with an occasional premium as a treat, seems like a happy medium...

As for your trip up to Skye, a single tank of what you perceive as cheap fuel isn't going to matter a jot, even if you believe the hype.