Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2796701 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9120 on: 30 December 2018, 18:51 »
I know what you mean. But you’d be surprised how much you can squeeze in when you have to!

Mine was totally rammed on this trip plus shoes, boots, coats and other stuff in the rear footwells and seat which I really don't care for. Still, not too often I suppose.

On a different note, I did get to give it a good run today out in the Surrey hills, lovely drive but noted the flat spot in the higher revs which I rarely get the chance to encounter. Presumably this is the payoff for the smaller turbo? Is there anything that can be done to fix this reasonably or are we only talking a remap or changing for an R? :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #9121 on: 30 December 2018, 19:04 »
Oh, and my parcel shelf lives under the boot floor as the exhaust sounds better that way  :whistle:

I'll have to give that a try, thanks for the tip Ex...  :smiley:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9122 on: 31 December 2018, 07:34 »
I know what you mean. But you’d be surprised how much you can squeeze in when you have to!

Mine was totally rammed on this trip plus shoes, boots, coats and other stuff in the rear footwells and seat which I really don't care for. Still, not too often I suppose.

On a different note, I did get to give it a good run today out in the Surrey hills, lovely drive but noted the flat spot in the higher revs which I rarely get the chance to encounter. Presumably this is the payoff for the smaller turbo? Is there anything that can be done to fix this reasonably or are we only talking a remap or changing for an R? :smiley:
Having to have a few clothes and bags on the back seats etc a couple times a year is a small payoff for not having to drive something the size of a barge all year round. Give me driving dynamics and power to weight ratio any time!

The turbo hits peak boost quite low down in a GTI, a remap will give you more torque which enables you to hit that flat spot a bit quicker! (Until your clutch slips...)
A Golf R turbo has a higher boost ceiling but boosts a bit higher in the range so in a manual car it can occasionally have a flat spot at the other end of the Rev range. Flip a coin for it!

Or, get a GTI with an R engine, which is called a....  :whistle:

Oh, and my parcel shelf lives under the boot floor as the exhaust sounds better that way  :whistle:

I'll have to give that a try, thanks for the tip Ex...  :smiley:

It’s only marginal but it needs all the help it can get!

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9123 on: 31 December 2018, 13:52 »

The turbo hits peak boost quite low down in a GTI, a remap will give you more torque which enables you to hit that flat spot a bit quicker! (Until your clutch slips...)
A Golf R turbo has a higher boost ceiling but boosts a bit higher in the range so in a manual car it can occasionally have a flat spot at the other end of the Rev range. Flip a coin for it!

Or, get a GTI with an R engine, which is called a....  :whistle:

As I thought then, thanks. I think the GTI suits the majority of my driving so I can put up with that one drawback. I'd love a CS but I'm not sure my OH would tolerate such a seemingly pointless (to her) change :laugh: Who knows, maybe I'll consider an R on my next change should such a thing still exist when I'm ready!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9124 on: 02 January 2019, 16:47 »
Just a cool picture today. Getting some nice pops from the res delete though  :smiley:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9125 on: 02 January 2019, 16:52 »
Nice Pic!
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #9126 on: 02 January 2019, 17:23 »
Just a cool picture today. Getting some nice pops from the res delete though  :smiley:

Gorgeous!
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9127 on: 02 January 2019, 19:41 »

Picked up my new GTI on Monday last and spent the last few days detailing the car exact as Rebecca's excellent sticky...new car detailing post.
Just the glass and Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour to complete and then its all good to go.

Just a point of note; I notice the plastic apron directly at the bottom of the windscreen only has one drip outlet on the drivers side which means if the car is parked up for washing on slight slope, this causes flooding of the apron on the passenger side...is this normal on the GTI?

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #9128 on: 02 January 2019, 19:46 »
It is and an idiotic design. My wife’s polo Blue GT with a very similarly designed trim has one on both sides.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9129 on: 02 January 2019, 22:17 »

Gorgeous!

Thanks!  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey