Author Topic: Quiet hissing sound at low RPM on brand new Golf GTD  (Read 7168 times)

Offline beatnik

• Just got here
Hi folks,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Last week I was thrilled to pick up my brand new Golf GTD. My first ever new car and it replaces a MK4 TDI 130 that I've driven for the last 7 years.

From the very moment I collected it I noticed a faint 'hissing' sound when throttle was applied. It is definitely linked with acceleration, it happens under soft and hard application of throttle. What's interesting is that it happens at very low RPM, probably 1,200 upwards, it goes away at about 2,500. It happens in all gears but not in neutral.

I'd describe it as a quiet slow hissing sound, almost like air is escaping. You could also describe it as a scraping sound, like you'd get if you slowly rubbed 2 pieces of metal together. It's faint and with a very slight rattle, almost like I'd expect if a bearing was worn. Very faint though.

Now, I don't know much about engines, but I don't think this is the turbo. The RPM seems far too low. It's very faint, but if you know to listen you can hear it. It's bugging me now.

I may have to reluctantly take it to the dealer, but I have a feeling they'll just brush me off. Question to other GTD owners (or folks with a 170 TDI), do you have the same sound? What might this be?

I remember the air conditioning compressor going on my MK4, this is a different sound but happens in the same circumstances (when accelerating at low RPM).

Thanks!
Andy.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Quiet hissing sound at low RPM on brand new Golf GTD
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2012, 22:45 »
Hissing cold just be the Turbo pressure releasing? Fronk shocks hiss slightly going over a bump? Video the sound with a camera phone and post it.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2012, 23:11 »
Yes, pls post a vid so we can get a clearer picture of the suspected problem...
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2012, 00:00 »
sounds like it's normal to me but interested to see a vid

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2012, 04:56 »
Welcome, sorry to hear of your issue, where are you based?

Offline Cliff_944

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2012, 16:35 »
I dont get that on mine. 

This is what mine sounds like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZkVgICwUWo&list=LL8WK9LMtaDb3QoUSUKqkWZg&feature=mh_lolz

I have three solutions:-

1) Dont go under 2500 revs   :wink:
2) Turn up the sound system   :laugh:
3) Go back to the dealers   :sad:

I know we don't like to make a fuss - not very British to complain.  However, you just paid about 25K and if you're not satisfied you should go back to the dealer.  I would also put it in writing to the dealer.  They will go for a drive with you in the car and listen to the noise....

GerTruDe - The GTD...

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2012, 23:55 »
Hi Andy and welcome  :laugh:

I've got a GTD and I don't recognise the sound you describe.

I presume you bought the car new? Let it run for a couple of hundred miles to,see if it settles down. If not, it's a visit to the stealers!

Offline beatnik

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2012, 12:08 »
Thanks for all the feedback and welcomes!

My GTD now has upwards of 1,000 miles on the clock and I can still hear the noise. I've tried videoing it but the audio quality really isn't good enough. I'll have another go tonight.

I'm afraid it looks like a trip to the dealers. No doubt they'll spend a day scratching, scuffing & denting my new car and conclude with "nothing wrong mate".

Joy.

I'll let you know how I get on.