Author Topic: Bluemotion technology DSG Stop/Start irritating issue or design fault  (Read 16270 times)

Offline latta1989

• Not said much yet
Just wondering if i'm the only one that finds the following quite a big issue with the DSG & Stop/Start combination or, even better, if someone knows how to solve the issue.

For anyone who doesn't know, the Stop/Start will kick in and the engine will shut off when the car is in D and you are stopped with your foot pressed on the brake. You can avoid it kicking in by using light pressure on the brake pedal, i.e barely touching it (or of course by switching the system off).

The problem arises when you are on a slight hill in slow moving traffic for instance or sitting at the junction of a hill. You have just stopped at said junction/stopped traffic, applied brake enough so the car doesn't roll back down the hill and the engine cuts out. Braking slightly so the engine does not cut out is not enough as the car rolls back. the only way I can find to avoid this would be to 'ride the clutch' so to speak. Stop, then keep the car still(ish) with a slight bit of throttle not letting the car roll back. This is quite hard to do as the DSG gets confused. I find myself switching off the system as i approach a small hill or junction where i may need to stop and be allowed to apply as much brake pedal pressure as I feel like without the car switching the engine off!

I believe VW should have designed the system as it is in EVERY other manual car with the feature. Only stop/start when the car is in neutral!!!

This would make so much more sense, someone please tell me i can code the car to enable this!!

Rant over      :angry:
Golf Mk6 1.6 TDI Match Bluemotion Tech

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
I too have the DSG but can't say I've had the car engine switch off while'st on a hill when braking! Seems a bit odd...
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
I too have the DSG but can't say I've had the car engine switch off while'st on a hill when braking! Seems a bit odd...

I didn't think GTD's came with BMT.

Latta, can't you just use the handbrake?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline latta1989

• Not said much yet

Its bluemotion technology so my car has stop/start. it is supposed to switch off to save fuel when stopped but not good on a hill.

[/quote]

Latta, can't you just use the handbrake?
[/quote]

It is another option but again the car would be trying to push against it if in D. Also slightly awkward and id rather just switch of stop/start and use foot brake.
Really wish it would only cut out in neutral!

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
I had a manual one for a while, an living out in the sticks, I was never stationary long enough to engage neutral and take my foot off the clutch. Only once in three weeks, at a level crossing did the car stop when I selected neutral and put the handbrake on.

Maybe if the DSG's turned off in neutral with the handbrake on, it would dissuade auto drivers from sitting in traffic for long periods with their foot on the brake, without giving a thought to the person behind having to look at their brake lights, especially at night. That was not meant as a dig at anyone, but I'm sure most drivers would not even give that a thought.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline latta1989

• Not said much yet
Ye i can see where you are coming from, especially with the LED rears  :wink:

Does anyone know genuinely if you can alter stop/start in anyway through VCDS?

Offline Mr_F

• I live here
stop being lazy, just use the handbrake!  Cars are designed that way!
61 Plate GTD 5dr, Shadow Blue, 18" Charleston's, Flat Tyre Indicator, Cruise Control, Bi-xenon (With Dynamic Curve), Storage Pack, Winter Pack and RCD 510.

Offline ScottA

• I live here
Just disable start stop. What a load of sh1te!  :grin:

Offline latta1989

• Not said much yet
stop being lazy, just use the handbrake!  Cars are designed that way!

It's not about being lazy, the cars not designed to have the handbrake on every 2 seconds in slow moving traffic.
I guess you would need to drive a car with dsg and ss to understand.

Offline Mr_F

• I live here
I have driven DSG and didn't like the fact it took the control away from the driver.

Be ok, soon, computers will control anything we use.

Hope your petition to VW that they can't design cars is fruitful!

:smiley:
61 Plate GTD 5dr, Shadow Blue, 18" Charleston's, Flat Tyre Indicator, Cruise Control, Bi-xenon (With Dynamic Curve), Storage Pack, Winter Pack and RCD 510.