Author Topic: Buckfizzturbos Build Thread: VW Bora > Air Suspension > BBS RS  (Read 146668 times)

Offline Buckfizzturbo

• Here all the time
Re: Buckfizzturbos Build Thread: VW Bora > Air Suspension > BBS RS
« Reply #570 on: 12 April 2014, 07:42 »
Thanks dom.

Will certainly give some feedback once there fitted.

Tweed after selling all the bits and from the mk3 I've now put that money into a house so am now playing with the car that I had. This car ticks a lot of boxes for me so is a winner. Plus will be used everyday.

Thats what missed then  :grin: having the money there does seem a waste to put into a car that you know you'll never get back.
Im sure this will look awesome soon

:laugh:

Yup that's it dude. The mk3 was going to owe between £20-25k (I was going for 1 of the best built) and that was just too much. I stopped at a point where I was very close to breaking even/maybe making a few £s after making money on the silver R32 etc which covered the air ride cost. I still have some parts to sell.

So yeah I'm just fortunate enough to be able to do something with the bora. Just need to get parts fitted
LowCollective - East Anglias Premier German Car Event - 07/09/14 IP14 6AT

Www.lowcollective.com please search 'low collective cars' on Facebook

Offline Buckfizzturbo

• Here all the time
Re: Buckfizzturbos Build Thread: VW Bora > Air Suspension > BBS RS
« Reply #571 on: 14 April 2014, 21:49 »
Had another good day on the bora Saturday.

After taking a trip to Ryan's Thursday evening it was time to fit what I had purchased.

First up was the black leather Recaro interior.

As usual the seats got a full going over before fitting. This included a Hoover, autosmart leather cleaner and then meguairs leather restorer. Don't get me wrong they weren't in bad nick but it made sense while they where out.

Inside got a full clean while it was empty. Nice to get to the areas that are near on impossible with seats fitted.

So not the hardest of jobs out with the old and in with the new. Looking good:

Starting to become a nice place to be. I do still have plans for the interior. The roof and pillars are still to be trimmed which will be done soon.

I do have some ideas for the seats and door cards/armrest. I'm thinking maybe trim the centres and then the cards/armrest to match or to dye the seats another colour. Has anyone had a go at this???

I also fitted my TT pedals which I purchased new from my mate at VW quite a while ago. I had tried to fit them before but was near on impossible. I then read up about leaving them in some hot water to soften the rubber. This worked a treat as the went straight on. Another little addition to add to making it nicer inside:

While I was there I gave my other purchase from Ryan a test fit. Audi wheels. These have been purchased to be my winters and are 8.5x19". They look good against the silver:

Test fitted with a 25mm adapter certainly didn't work:

I then tried the 15mm front adapters which where fine but I have to buy some shorter wheel nuts to fit them.

The plan with the wheels will be to get the fitment on the RS absolutely perfect and then workout what I need to get the audi wheels to accept the RS fitment needs. I don't think I will have a problem with the right adapters (Ryan supplied me with a fair few options :) ) but im hoping I will have arch to lip on the RS and maybe tuck a bit of the 19s when fitted.

That will get us upto date then. Need to get the chassis notched next so we can start with the air. Under 2 months now till DC14

Cheers

Nathan

Offline Buckfizzturbo

• Here all the time
Small update.

The only part of getting my air anywhere near installed was having the brackets welded on the tank. Reason for this is they are supplied with a metal strap that goes around the tank. After all the effort of having a smooth tank I think that straps then ruin that look so there binned. It's the little bits

Offline Buckfizzturbo

• Here all the time
Small update.

The only part of getting my air anywhere near installed was having the brackets welded on the tank. Reason for this is they are supplied with a metal strap that goes around the tank. After all the effort of having a smooth tank I think that straps then ruin that look so there binned. It's the little bits ;)

Some beautiful welds (not by me :()

Test fitted in its new home:

Will look nice when painted body colour.

Next up was some trim. Now I've been going back and forth deciding wether I should buy these or not as Arron told me what he paid for them. Still it's his bonus and I still got them for a good price.

Chrome gli trim. Now I'm guna say gli but with the Uk recess on the front these must have been a option??? Why else would they have a uk/euro recess?

:)

I also grabbed some spares (red) off dan @ Devon dub shack.

Then a quick test fit of the chrome to get a idea:

Guna look awesome against the super shine of the RS.

These won't be fitted until I get some paint work done that I want. Tbh I reckon most of the bits will all happen at once. Air>wheels>paint.

For a long term plan I did run some left over leather I had against the paint for an idea:

This will probably happen 1 day but just a idea for now.

Wheel parts are in the uk and I've been told I should see them Wednesday next week.

Will update when here

Thanks

Nathan

Offline Buckfizzturbo

• Here all the time
Looks as tho things are going in the right direction now.

1st off another piece of the wheels turned up. Being that they are going to be all polished and have gold bolts I wanted a centre badge that would match. Well simply there isn't 1. The badge had to have gold lettering and ideally a polished back ground. Sadly they only do this with silver lettering. So i took the risk and bought some others. Now these are listed as white and gold but pictures I'd seen and with help from the supplier Chris they looked a bit silver too. Anyway I took a gamble and couldn't be happier how they match.

STILL waiting on my step up parts to arrive. Only waiting on 2 dishes but again would be useless as I don't have the centres back either lol.

The car however is off the road

On axle stands ready for my mate Andy to work his magic. Dual chassis notch, TT wishbones, LCR hubs, polybush all round, goodridge hoses, new parts where ever I can and a bit of paint on the parts.

Andy I have worked out how I want the boot build and hardlines and decided (because I'm fussy and have OCD lol) that I need another compressor to get the build looking matching either side. That should be with me today.

Only rough at the mo but you get the idea. Flexi pipe will be hardline too

So hopefully it will be all done very soon. Car has been booked in with another good mate lee on 9th June to have the front end smoothed, painted and have the gli parts fitted.

Fingers crossed I will have the wheels here too.

Cheers

Nathan

Offline Buckfizzturbo

• Here all the time
Update time.

So made my 1st job to strip out the interior ready to run the loom and hardlines which will all be in the car. All came apart nicely

Then me and my main in man Andy got on the case. Pulling all the front suspension setup off the car. Shocks, wishbones, hubs, brake discs, track rod ends you name it all in the bin!!

Then thanks to some very angry tools Andy has they made light work of cutting a c section out of the chassis leg. With some decent thickness of pipe cut into shape and a few parts from the bay removed all was welded and then smoothed. Can't thank Andy enough for the super clean job he's done. Pics show this :)

Pics above used from both sides of the car.

So yeah went for a dual chassis notch. Want to make sure there's nothing stopping me getting this as low as possible. ;)

While Andy was welding and grinding I had the grinder out with a whizzy wheels attachment cleaning up the TT wishbones and LCR hubs. Thankfully had I had another weapon in the form of my mate lee to strip these parts of the old pieces. Some parts really didn't want to leave. Anyway all grinder down it just left me to hit them with some etch primer

Will do the hubs next when we press in the new bearings. Will be painting them with a unit special of 3m stone chip to give that crackle effect. Something we have all used since my 20vt mk2 engine bay was done ;)

And lastly while I had a bit of spare time I though why not give the inner arches a bit of a clean ;)

Not bad :)

So still plenty to do but a good start. Absolutely everything is getting replaced on the front end so will be like a new car in the end :) can't wait.

Lastly if you don't know while trying to do the car, work, be a dad etc etc etc me and a couple mates have put this together so put it in your diaries ;)

Thanks for reading

Nathan

Offline Buckfizzturbo

• Here all the time
Update time :)

1st of all I test fitted the winters again just making sure I had the right adapters. Looking forward to seeing these on (not as much as the RS tho ;) )

Next up was to strip the boot completely out and while there it gave me a good opportunity to remove the rear lights and give the metal behind a good clean

We then used the templates given with the airlift performance struts to mark where we needed to drill to mount them.

A few minutes later and we had them temporarily installed.

1 side (still needs to be cleaned)

And the other

With them fitted we worked out where we needed to drill to run the leader lines into the car as you can see in the pics above.

Nice view ;)

With that sorted and the boot striped Andy got out the copper line and started running it through the car and drilling a couple of holes to run it into the boot.

More to come on that soon

As the car was pretty much empty I thought this was a good opportunity to remove the headlining and pillars for a retrim. I've had all genuine black interior replacements for a long while now so been wanting to get it done.

Horrible cream crap

I decided to start with the roof lining and I've got to say what a load of sh!t it was. Lol. I've got it done and it looks good but man what a job.

My mate @detailerspassion working on pats mk1 in the background

And it finished

Next job to fit it in the car and trim the rest up. And done

So glad I took the time searching and spent the extra money on the genuine black parts. Can't wait to get the rest of the interior back in now.

Just need to do the door rubbers which I will paint but I run out. :(

So next it will back to the air. Got until the 9th June to get it done as the insurance will run out on my other car.

BBS front is good and bad! Last part of the step up bits I've been waiting for are in uk customs but sadly my centres can't be ceramic polished because they got blasted to heavily by the company that stripped them for me. So now to decide on a alternative finish.

Until next time

Nathan

Offline Buckfizzturbo

• Here all the time
Update time.

With it getting closer to fitting up the parts it was time to make sure they where painted and ready.

1st up to give the etch a coat of black

Then a unit special and something I did my whole mk2 20vt engine in. Stone chip. So yeah etch, black and then stone chip. Gives it that nice textured finish.

And all done

Heres the finish

So with them all ready we pressed in the new polybushes, fitted the back plates, new abs sensors etc.

Then the notches where sealed

With all that done we painted the arches, fitted the tt wishbones, lcr hubs, airlift struts, new balljoints, new track rods, run the leader lines into the car and fitted and with all that done they looked like this :)

Chuffed. Just got the goodridge braided lines to fit and better clean up the calipers before they go on ;)

We got round to fitting up the rear too

Hardlines placed ready to be bent into shape and fitted.

Lastly I couldn't wait and had to offer up a mates RS centre and raise the strut up. I think it should sit pretty low :)

Exciting times

Nathan

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
That's gonna sit on the floor! Looks like it will be on its belly when aired out, lol, good work! Look fwd to seeing it done!  :grin:

Offline Buckfizzturbo

• Here all the time
Thanks dude

Update time

Well my step up parts finally arrived sadly tho it's good and bad news.

Good news well it's only taken me 6 months to get what I was after but there here now.

Bad news, there sh!t!!

I bought them through a wheel trader here in the uk and thankfully he's covering the costs of the repairs that need doing. I won't go into it but parts don't fit and they need so much more attention polishing wise. Anyway all bits are being collected Monday to meet up with my RS centres that are all ready with Mike The Polisher. He's the best in the business so will look amazing when he's done with them.

Still I did do a rough test fit:

Being slightly annoyed and knowing it ain't going to be a quick fix I went on to test fit the front TTRS wheels. Bad news there too:

Now I know I have the airlift performance struts and can pull and roll  the arches etc but my aim is to keep the factory lines and as they are dailies I don't really fancy going through tyres to quickly. So with that decision made they are being sold back to Ryan so not a problem.

Again after this disappointment I thought sod it I will go try my mates wheels on that I know he wants to sell. Glad I did:

With 15mm adapters:

Now I've known Andy has had these wheels for a few years and we pulled them out to sell for him. Not once did I ever consider them. Glad I gave them a go tho as they are now the new dailies.

In preparation and wanting them Powdercoated I test fitted my mates 18" speedlines to see what the silver powdercoat was like matching the paint. It's pretty spot on:

So fat 5s will be the daily wheels and the RS when done will be used for shows etc. next job is to send them off for powdercoat and to get some tyres. I want them to be ready for when the cars complete.

As for the air well Andy is on a stag do so will be a couple of weeks but the system has been checked for leeks and is all good. Boot is all hardlined to the manifold so pretty much just got the tank and compressors to fit with the build and to wire in a few bits. Shouldn't be long now.

Cheers

Nathan