Author Topic: 1993 MK3 Golf(VRT Engine build time!!)*UPDATED 17/3/13*  (Read 119458 times)

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
Re: 1993 MK3 Golf
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2011, 21:37 »
Im staying the same colour LA9V Brilliant black metallic.They only made the mk3 in this colour for about a year and a half,as i found out when looking for same colour body panels as they are rare as rocking horse poo!
Im a big fan ofg the colour too but the bodyshop man told me there are about 10 different shades of this code so i will be looking at the chips when i drop it off and picking one.But im thinking the darkest will suit better. :cool:

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2011, 19:05 »
Right so today my new front panel arrived,i decided as mine had a little crack near the bonnet catch i would change it as it looked pants.

So i stripped the new one out the packaging and this is what it looked like.

I then stripped the front end of the car off and cleaned all retaining bolts up and cleaned the chassis rails up a bit.

I then spent about 2 hours cleaning and making the new front panel pretty.
I never took any pictures at this stage as when i finished i went to trial fit it and realised the dopey seller never informed me that it had come off a bloody 16v making it no bloody use for my radiator or hoses!! :angry:

So i spat my dummy out and bolted my dirty original front end on.
Im now going to leave it for when the vr6 lump goes in as im sure the 16v and vr6 front panels are the same.

Pretty much a waste of a few hours have been had by all today :grin:

DOH!

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 22 March 2011, 09:29 »
Right,managed to do a bit more before doing my 32hours at the weekend.(weekend shift is the tits) :grin:

I bought some coilovers last year ebay specials as it was just the missus driving the car and she never went over 50mph.
They did 500miles and then one of the front ones went all noisy.On removal i noticed that the drivers side had silly amounts of play in side to side(piston to body)

So after a month of arguing with Ta in Belgium they sent me 2 new fronts,so i bobbed them on.

I had been waiting for these to arrive so i could fit the new Eibach front camber bolts so i could dial my camber in a bit easier.

I fannyed about for a couple of hours with string,a level and a camber guage and im now running -1 Neg camber althought i will get the tracking done when he's back on the road.

Next up was prepping it up a bit more with the new panels ready for the respray on the 12th.
I have swapped the doors over to some mint flash red ones that are stripped and ready to go.

Ive also finally finished deleting the side repeater and aerial holes in the usual way by welding in a new piece of 18guage steel in the holes then Daz@Imageworx will finish off with a bit of filler.

After that i whipped the back bumper off and im still amazed how there is not a patch of rust on the whole car.(not bad for 18 years old)

Also as my car now looks like its ready to go to the scrapyard ive had to buy a cheap car cover:
1)So the neighbours dont linch me
and
2)So i dont come home to find a pikey grabbing it with his Hi-Ab and sticking it on his tranny!

Thats it for now. :evil:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #13 on: 22 March 2011, 09:41 »
wow, didn't realise this car needed so much attention... Good work though.

I had the exact same fear as you RE: Pikey theft...  especially since my car wasn't insured during most of the rebuild!  hence I had a wheel clamp on it, even thought that wouldn't stop them... thinking of putting a driveway bar in!

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 22 March 2011, 09:52 »
Thanks mate :smiley:
Well....tbh it didnt need too much attention im just really anal and  i like to replace everything for the best i can find.The original panels were ok bar a dent in the drivers door and the nsf wing was a bit rusty,but rather than repair i just found mint replacements  :grin:

Yeah my car is currently uninsured but i live in a fairly decent area and have stuck a camera up in front of the garage and i always sleep with the bedroom window open.

It looks like a pile of poo atm so id cry my eyes out if some pikey had taken it away while i was out getting a bag of chips mind :grin:

It's still a mk3 Golf at the end of the day so surely not many people want to 'arf inch em :grin:

Your mk1 is a different story mind :laugh:

As for the driveway bar,it's something i have been looking at,i wont pay £100 for one but i will make a nice shiney thick walled stainless one at work that hinges at the bottom to save concreting a tarmac drive. :grin:
These look good though if your still looking
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fold-Down-Driveway-Security-Post-/370257058095?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item56350a592f

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #15 on: 22 March 2011, 10:05 »
It does happen though, a guy at work had a project MK2 taken from is drive via a transporter in broad daylight, the neighbours didn't think anything of it as they thought it was going off somewhere for work...

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I'm thinking off but the missus is concerned about the impact on the drive getting it installed, and TBO, if it doesn't need much digging in and concrete then I can't believe it will be that tough???

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 22 March 2011, 10:12 »
Well when ive installed them before on a previous property i used chem fix and instead of just using the nuts i made up a plate like a washer and then welded the plate to the post and the nut to the plate.Its just a bit of added security,at the end of the day if they want it they will have it,but it's just an extra detterent. :evil:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #17 on: 22 March 2011, 10:23 »
Well when ive installed them before on a previous property i used chem fix and instead of just using the nuts i made up a plate like a washer and then welded the plate to the post and the nut to the plate.Its just a bit of added security,at the end of the day if they want it they will have it,but it's just an extra detterent. :evil:

Yeah I suppose that's why I always clamp mine, every little helps if it makes things more difficult.  Have made a start on the security for the car but I am having problems with cutting wires now it's all tidy!  :undecided:

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 22 March 2011, 10:30 »
Are you fitting an alarm? :cool:

Offline GrandMstRamRod

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 22 March 2011, 11:08 »
looking good dude, also didn't realize the amount of work you put into this damm!