Author Topic: Hi to all, and advice needed !  (Read 721 times)

Offline RIPP3Y

• GTI forum regular
Hi to all, and advice needed !
« on: 16 January 2005, 18:57 »
hi every1,? like it says in the title a little advice is needed, i have very little experiance about bodywork/rust.
I`ve got a Mk1 gti cab which has had a 12" by 8 " hole cut out of the rear quarter panel due to rust,( filler was found then removed).? I`d like to buy a complete new rear quarter panel but cant get one.? All said and done, i`ve found a chap who`s breaking a "h" plate car, he wants ?130 including delivery.
 Now, the way i see it is that i have 3 options-
1) Do i fill it back in with filler?
2) Do i get the "H" plate quarter ?
3) Do i keep trying to find a new panel??

Please help me out with best options, thank you all so much :wink:

Offline carrie

• Here all the time
  • i can see into your soul and its not good
Re: Hi to all, and advice needed !
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2005, 00:49 »
what do you mean by filling it?. i assume you mean back plate welding then skimming it with filler (i hope you mean this).
really it depends on you as to what to do. do you want a good job, can you afford it, can you do the job, are you keeping the car.
i would phone round breakers to find out the going price for a quater pannel before buying one.

SAY YOU LOVE SATIN?, NO SATAN, ITS SATAN

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2005, 12:37 »
If I was going to keep the car for any lenght of time I would try to source a new panel or even get the panel off the scrappy as I wouldn't want my car full of filler, just my personal opinion.  :smiley: You could try this guy who might be able to source you a new panel http://www.golfmk1.co.uk/ So for me if I was keeping the car I would go for option 3 first then option 2, but if keeping the car I wouldn't even consider option 1.  :smiley:

Welcome to the site by the way.  :smiley:
......now officially dubless.

Offline RIPP3Y

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2005, 22:26 »
 :wink:thx guys, i`m gonna order the panel for the breakers tomorro,  i intend to keep the car so its got beright, thx again.

p.s   cool site this.