Author Topic: help no spark! mk3 2.0 8v  (Read 2965 times)

Offline tianaroja

• Not said much yet
help no spark! mk3 2.0 8v
« on: 10 August 2003, 15:16 »
I have mk3 8v for 2 months after selling my mk2 16v what a mistake!
it has been running fine until now i have just driven home jumped back into go out after about a minute and now it wont start. no spark at all

the car is fitted with an immobiliser the funny rectangular type you push in the socket until tthe light goes out but i think this only disables the starter motor any suggestions would help.is there a sensor some where or is this more serious

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
Re:help no spark! mk3 2.0 8v
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2003, 18:30 »
Poss a faulty ign module. Not easy to test the module without the special kit. See if you can get a loan of a second hand coil/module ass to test. It is mounted on the n/s behind the engine (follow the coil lead). Another fault is the relay that supplys the module/coil, cant remember the number. Have also seen the crankshaft sensors fail on these, hope its not that as they are expensive @?180, ouch!!. Good luck, Steve.

Offline tianaroja

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2003, 19:49 »
not sure what immobiliser does but i know it stops starter motor

light goes out on it and starter motor turns so i assume it working ok
is ignition coil feed live as soon ignition switched on if relay is working? if so i could eliminate relay as poss fault by use of electrical screwdriver
has anyone replaced coil unit before? ???
« Last Edit: 10 August 2003, 19:50 by tianaroja »

Offline adyh

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2003, 11:14 »
It is doubtfull that the immobiliser only stops the starter motor , otherwise a thief would just be able to jump start the car with a couple of mates and a push .

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2003, 11:18 »
The immobiliser should prevent power to anything thats on the switched ignition bus i.e fuel pump, starter, coil etc.
Thats the case on my cabrio and Audi anyway......

Offline tianaroja

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2003, 20:03 »
at the moment i am leaning towards a new ignition module as my parts shop reckons he sells 2 aweek it sounds like a common fault has any one heard of this

Offline tianaroja

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2003, 21:56 »
problem solved faulty ignition module thanks for all advice however it has blown indicator fuse and flasher unit i hope this isnt turning into a nightmare!!!