Author Topic: GTI or R?  (Read 2651 times)

Offline CJ_NSR

• Just got here
GTI or R?
« on: 25 July 2023, 12:28 »
Hi, looking at a Mk7 GTI or R as I have one on the way and need 5 doors.  Currently own a Clio 200cup (which is hot hatch perfection*), which would make me smile like the Clio does?

Opinions please!
Thanks
*Sorry/not sorry if that offends you

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: GTI or R?
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2023, 12:40 »
Decision is irrelevant, if you have a little one on the way you won’t get much time to drive anyway.

Seriously, both great cars, sure you will enjoy either. Some folk say a GTI is more exciting but maybe that’s just opinion.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline CJ_NSR

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2023, 13:14 »
I might have some time haha
I think the gti might be more rewarding than the r. Want one that likes to be revved and handles really well. R might be too powerful?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2023, 14:21 »
Welcome CJ_NSR  :smiley:

I’ve owned all the versions of mk7 performance Golfs: GTI Performance Pack, R, GTD, Clubsport 40 and a 7.5 TCR.
What age of car are you looking at?
I’d say purely looking at you coming from a Clio 200 that a GTI power delivery might feel a bit flat. The turbo boosts low down but runs out of puff at lowish revs to what you’re used to. The chassis is lighter on its toes and it’s better on fuel than an R. Remap it and it comes alive.

The R chassis feels more solid and less wieldy but the engine loves to rev.
Lots of them have been thrashed.

The TCR is the best of all worlds but isn’t cheap. Oh, and it’s DSG only.

The clutches are a weak point on manual cars. DSG takes a bit of getting used to.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CJ_NSR

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2023, 14:51 »
Thanks!
Around 2015/16. Think I'd prefer a manual for the involvement
Budget would be 15-16k.  I'm not really one for modding cars.
Anything would feel flat compared to what I have now!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2023, 17:54 »
I'd echo what Exonian said regarding the GTI. I had a 2015 PP manual and it feels great at first, once you have decent tyres to cure the lack of traction when pulling away, a decent bit of go but, once you hit about 5k revs it suddenly gives up. Whilst for me that was rarely a problem, when it did happen it spoilt the drive. So I swapped to a TCR which has a 290PS version of the R engine, basically the same, and whilst it doesn't have that instant pull like the PP, the power keeps coming up the rev range and makes for a more exciting drive. Downsides, thirst and it's only in DSG.

An R for me is lacking a bit in the looks but that engine is fantastic. Not too much power at all, I'd say it would make a great daily. I haven't driven an R though so can't comment on how it feels versus a GTI so you'd probably be best getting a test drive in both.

For both models, be aware of the clutch which can slip and waterpumps/thermostat housings do start to leak around 40k miles and could be £800ish to replace so check if it has been done and if not, expect it.

Both are great cars and generally reliable but different, only you can decide which is best!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2023, 18:21 »
Thanks!
Around 2015/16. Think I'd prefer a manual for the involvement
Budget would be 15-16k.  I'm not really one for modding cars.
Anything would feel flat compared to what I have now!

Is the Cup totally unusable as a family car? It sounds like you love it. Does it not have rear seats or a useable boot? Apologies but I know nothing about them other than that they are extremely highly rated by Evo magazine types.
I managed perfectly well with a small child in a Polo G40 which has a tiny interior. Kids haven’t got much bigger since the mid 90’s surely? 😁
People go overboard with crap when they have a first child and soon realise they don’t actually need most of it. Travel light, just take with you what you actually need. Don’t buy a stupidly big pram and pushchair, buy small, light and manoeuvrable just like the car itself.

Oh, and congrats on the impending arrival  :smiley:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CJ_NSR

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2023, 19:16 »
Well it doesn't have the Isofix points (standard 200 does), couldn't add them if I wanted to as the seats are slightly different. Typical French, and I have the bucket seats that don't help! From what I've read the performance pack on the gti helps?
I want to grow up without growing up too much if you get what I mean haha

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2023, 19:44 »
The Performance Pack gives you a 10bhp hike that you’ll not notice, bigger 340mm brakes the same spec as an R and a diff.
The diff does make a ‘diff’erence to how it handles and adds traction when on lock, and the brakes are good. Well worth having.

One thing that’ll be essential is a device called a PedalBox (similar devices are sold by other companies) but we’ll cross that bridge when you actually find a car. Search in the mk7 forum for heaps of info on it.

Also have a good look at Leon Cupras.
R engine, GTI PP chassis and brakes…
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CJ_NSR

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2023, 10:20 »

Going to look at this next week, anything I should look out for.
It's got a partial SH, they've all been done at dealers but not the same time every year. Sailed through all its Mots , hpi is good.