Author Topic: The Type R that you can’t buy  (Read 3561 times)

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
Re: The Type R that you can’t buy
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2023, 11:57 »
Honda make me laugh, loads of marketing and promotion of the new 2023 Type R (FL5)

Basically it’s impossible to get.

Honda only sent 194 to the UK and plan to send a few more in March and that’s our lot until 2024…

They sent 2000 to America and Japan had 2000. Seems like they only really care about the US and Japanese markets, in the UK dealers have back logs of people with deposits down, my local dealer has 15 people. They were sent… one! In America dealers have cars available to buy and in some cases have marked up prices by $20k
Honda has always been prioritizing the American and Japanese markets unfortunately. But the new Type R is definitely worth all the pain related to its purchase.

The US is a priority now but wasn’t always, remember the FK8 was the first Type R to be available there, prior to that all they had for a performance version of a Civic was the Si

Have you managed to a get a FL5?
Golf GTI Clubsport 45 (2022)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2023, 09:07 »
Just to put the price of the FL5 into perspective, here’s what a VW milk float costs nowadays

I think some people here are still locked in the world circa 2013 where a performance golf cost 25k...

Even a bog standard Sandero is £13k now and the MG4 BEV starts at £26k.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2023, 10:42 »
Just to put the price of the FL5 into perspective, here’s what a VW milk float costs nowadays

I think some people here are still locked in the world circa 2013 where a performance golf cost 25k...

Even a bog standard Sandero is £13k now and the MG4 BEV starts at £26k.

Problem is, like many others, my pay is still locked in the world circa 2010....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2023, 15:13 »

Problem is, like many others, my pay is still locked in the world circa 2010....

Exactly

MK7 GTi

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2023, 17:58 »

Exactly

Ditto

Instead of an inflation matching pay rise we were given bugger all and I was told my pay grade is going so will be losing 20% plus pay.
Thanks Mr Chairman who pocketed hundreds of thousands in bonuses for underperforming spectacularly.
And so we went on strike, and now I’ve been losing 40% pay instead.
 :rolleyes:

Just as well I picked up my CS with a decent discount when I did as my contribution to the economy will be naff all for the foreseeable with current wages versus pricing.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2023, 20:44 »
Oh don't get me wrong I've been whacked with the same under inflation pay rises too... and funnily enough a board who have had multi year inflation busting rises...

Here is an interesting page on the car inflation subject:

https://www.moneybarn.com/carflation/

The Golf is only 25th on that list  :grin: :grin:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 25 January 2023, 15:42 »
Admittedly I’m not wearing my Poundland reading glasses (times are hard! 😁) so I’m squinting like a shipwrecked sailor trying to make out if that black dot on the horizon is a ship… but I can’t see the Honda Civic in that list.
Now, the outgoing FK8(?) CTR was a relatively good value car but surely these new FL5(?) Civics should see that model bunny hop straight into that list near the top end.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 26 January 2023, 08:57 »
Now, the outgoing FK8(?) CTR was a relatively good value car

I'm not sure it was actually - I looked while I was trying every possible permutation before my Mk8...

It was more list price, less discount and terrible PCP figures - which reflect depreciation.

Maybe they are popular cars with petrol heads because the price crashes when they are second hand?

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 26 January 2023, 14:13 »
Also.....£47k and no heated seats :grin: :grin: :grin:

MK7 GTi

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 26 January 2023, 18:15 »
 :grin: :grin: Type R owners are far too badass for seats that give them a warm arse!

Fred, to be honest I’ve never really looked closely at CTR prices but assumed they’d be low thirties.
It was more the general (and justified)  :shocked: :shocked: horror of the base price going up to £47k often quoted as a circa £10k rise that I tuned into.
Were the FK8(?) models around the same list price as a GTI Clubsport mk8?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner