Author Topic: Golf GTi 7.5 advice  (Read 1161 times)

Offline furio2005

• Just got here
Golf GTi 7.5 advice
« on: 19 December 2022, 20:19 »
Hi guys!

I hope this isn't a common ramble

I have been looking at Golf GTi's (DSG - pref performance model)

I was pretty close to sealing the deal on one for a decent ish price. Then the dealer pointed out that he had an R in stock for just a little bit more.

Very confused I went home and did a bit more looking around and found a few R's for similar money to a GTi performance. All DSG too.

I Have just sold an M2 as I wanted to release some cash and thought things may drop fast (which they did) I get that feeling the R's have had a similar fall and worried the same may be the case for the GTi.

Have they always been a similar price?

I wanted a GTi as I prefer the looks, cheaper tax and insurance, less likely to have been owned by a muppet..(lots seem to have been stolen or seen a tree)

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: Golf GTi 7.5 advice
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2022, 09:49 »
Generally there has always been a bit of a price difference of £2-4k, this is due to the R having been more expensive, this is also seen in the Mk7.5 GTI TCR and the Mk7 Clubsport but they're limited production numbers.

As you're coming from a M2 I'd be requesting an extended test drive in the Gti or R prior to purchase, the GTI (Perf Pack) is considered by a few motoring journalists the drivers car out of the GTI and R, and the one you want to have for everyday (Clarkson & Harris).

You do need to be aware of the time of year and salesmen seeking to meet sales targets for their Christmas bonus, which is why they probably said about the golf R.

I have noted though that while there's more performance value from the golf R (4wd, bigger turbo etc), however many of them were 'PCP spec', in that no to few optional extras were ever selected, versus the GTI's where they're more commonly specced with a few extras on top which you'll feel more day to day. In my opinion Spec makes a massive difference to a car, and you'll probably notice more so as leather & premium sound system and the other M2 luxuries like high beam assist aren't standard in comparison.

I'd also note that even with there being more generation of GTI's, on Autotrader just from the mk6-mk8 there's more Golf R's for sale than GTI's which when you look at the sales of the mk6 and how new the mk8 is, says something regarding how common a mk7/7.5 golf R is on the road & will factor into depreciation. (I didn't even include the mk4 & mk5 R32 numbers in that).

But the last piece of relevant knowledge I can pass on is, I sold wheels to a car dealer before who just sold his 7.5R for an M4 Competition and he did say he missed his R because it was all he needed but he did agree the GTI was a better driver focused car.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Golf GTi 7.5 advice
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2022, 18:56 »
Welcome furio  :smiley:

What sort of car history do you have aside from an M2?
I’ve seen many a BMW owner buy a Golf over the years only to miss the BMW-ness and move back within a fairly modest amount of time.

And how do you drive?

I’ve owned both a GTI Performance and R in pre-facelift mk7 guise and they are quite different propositions.

The GTI feels a bit lighter on its toes and the diff does a great job to quell understeer and sharpen the handling, but the engine is low revving.
It’s plenty quick enough but doesn’t suit all driving styles.
Because it’s lower revving and has a smaller turbo it’s pretty decent on fuel. The brakes are good, the ride is good, everything is good really.
The GTI looks more sporty and handsome.

The R is higher revving and genuinely a very rapid car BUT it can drink a fair drop of fuel if you drive it hard.
The handling is pretty neutral but very planted and feels more solid than a GTI.
The R is much more keen to rev.
The R feels very black inside.

Tough call really. A lot depends on driving style and your expectations.

Lots of R’s around, many are hammered but many are pampered too.
The GTI returned to popularity when the price gap opened up between them towards the end of their production.
The later car you can afford the better the standard spec.

But it’s no BMW.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner