Author Topic: Software update on car....will it affect my remap?  (Read 8090 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: Software update on car....will it affect my remap?
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2017, 12:48 »
Been there and done it, they refused to cover a broken driveshaft because I had the car remapped along with some other mods. Quick letter from my solicitor to VW UK asking them to proved that the modifications were the cause of the failure. They obviously couldn't as we knew and the work was covered along with a goodwill gesture to cover my solicitor costs.

Well very good for you but it still doesn't mean this will be the case for every other failure, I think you were quite lucky in that occasion for whatever reason VW UK did not decide to take this further. For example, it can be that they were aware of some bad shafts  out there and did not want to give more publicity but try a blown engine or turbo and I'm afraid you wouldn't have the same luck. There were (are?) bad turbos in the earlier MK7 GTI and R and VW was very much aware of them and replacing failed ones under warranty but not on mapped cars even though the map had nothing to do with that. People have also reported warranty rejections on far less power-train related items because of remaps so again, I think you were rather fortunate.

Not really lucky, it is just a case of law and knowing your rights. He himself (my solicitor) had a problem with his RS3 that was mapped and had a problem with his engine and Audi refused to cover the warranty and he asked them to prove that the map was the cause of the problem and again they couldn't prove it and he had a new engine fitted.

If your car has been remapped then the only thing that they can refuse warranty on is the ECU. A very good solicitor is worth his weight in gold or as in my case worth his weight in beer as he is a friend.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2017, 16:15 »
Not really lucky, it is just a case of law and knowing your rights. He himself (my solicitor) had a problem with his RS3 that was mapped and had a problem with his engine and Audi refused to cover the warranty and he asked them to prove that the map was the cause of the problem and again they couldn't prove it and he had a new engine fitted.

If your car has been remapped then the only thing that they can refuse warranty on is the ECU. A very good solicitor is worth his weight in gold or as in my case worth his weight in beer as he is a friend.

What can I say, I am not living or much related to the UK so I have to assume either your friend has some good connections or VW UK must be offering some special warranty with ultra customer friendly terms that I'm not aware of :smiley: In the rest of the world, I've never heard of a case where the warranty terms were clearly violated but the manufacturer still had to prove the remap caused the failure. It's the other way round and I have instead heard of several stories where the customer himself had to go a really long way to prove to VW that the failure was not related to the remap, and even then it was more a matter of a "good-will" gesture than actually using your rights as those are lost the moment you flash. To be honest that makes sense both ways. If the terms stated that for VW to reject warranty they would have to prove what caused the failure they could probably come up with good excuses on rejecting warranty even on failures that would otherwise be covered, just because of some sort of user error/mis-use. As it is now: "don't alter it and it's covered for all use scenarios"  it works for the majority except for people that are into modding...

I do remember not that long ago in the 1.4 TSI twinchargers that even though they widely suffered from high oil consumption and lost cylinders, several cases were refused any warranty work due to them being mapped. There was even a group move against VAG on the matter that never bore any fruit, that was in the UK actually. So yeah, although I'm not doubting your story I can't see it being the norm.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2017, 16:21 by scanesare »

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2017, 17:13 »
It's just the law which he is rather good at.

I had a problem a few years back with a bad screen on my iPhone 6 and apple refused to replace it because I had jailbroken it. Again he done his thing and I got my new phone and apple stopped refusing warranty on jailbroken devices.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2017, 18:36 »
It's just the law which he is rather good at.

I had a problem a few years back with a bad screen on my iPhone 6 and apple refused to replace it because I had jailbroken it. Again he done his thing and I got my new phone and apple stopped refusing warranty on jailbroken devices.

Could well be, but that would imply both Apple and VW have rather weak legal teams if people could in principle bypass warranty requirements with just a good lawyer. And I find it very hard to believe. I guess it's something that has to do with UK-specific legislation and how each product's availability/warranty terms are adapted when it goes on sale in the UK? I'm pretty sure those cases would be very hard to have a successful outcome elsewhere. Think we already got quite off-topic!

Offline robtt

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf Gti pp dsg
« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2017, 20:18 »
Hmm , relying on a good solicitor for breaking a contract seems a risky idea. If you loose your court case, just remember you wil pay both sides costs and the repair bill to your car. Go ahead ,the hot shot solicitor will not lose his costs  ,whatever the outcome .
« Last Edit: 28 October 2017, 21:16 by robtt »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 28 October 2017, 22:26 »
It's about proving and cause which in both cases mentioned both VW and Apple couldn't do. How can a software change to an apple product mean the screen is no longer under warranty. All they are hoping is the soft touch UK just roll over and walk away.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 29 October 2017, 11:54 »
It's about proving and cause which in both cases mentioned both VW and Apple couldn't do. How can a software change to an apple product mean the screen is no longer under warranty. All they are hoping is the soft touch UK just roll over and walk away.

That is exactly the case, most times when they refuse warranties the customer will roll over and take it. Knowing your rights can be very handy.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2017, 12:01 »
Hmm , relying on a good solicitor for breaking a contract seems a risky idea. If you loose your court case, just remember you wil pay both sides costs and the repair bill to your car. Go ahead ,the hot shot solicitor will not lose his costs  ,whatever the outcome .

Braking what contract? VW are smart enough to know when they can't win and there was no mention of court, a letter was sent to them and they agreed to cover the warranty and gave me a goodwill gesture to cover my costs. Although it didn't cost me anything but then I wasn't going to tell them that.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2017, 12:06 »

Braking what contract? VW are smart enough to know when they can't win and there was no mention of court, a letter was sent to them and they agreed to cover the warranty and gave me a goodwill gesture to cover my costs. Although it didn't cost me anything but then I wasn't going to tell them that.

I want your friend to be my friend too :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2017, 12:10 »

I want your friend to be my friend too :whistle:

He can be anyone's friend for the right amount of those new plastic £20 notes :grin: