Author Topic: Climate screen  (Read 8537 times)

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Climate screen
« Reply #30 on: 10 November 2017, 09:14 »
ad 1) So the handheld sat nav uses the roof antenna for signal.... Interesting.

ad 2) VW used to make you take advanced phone on the mk7. If they stopped it on the 7.5 I wouldn't know; haven't configured a FL model. My current car's not up for replacement for another 18 months.

ad 3) OK, if that is your observation - great. My observation was different, number of satellites was usually a few less and signal strength was a little lower. You only need 4 satellites to have a signal, the more the more accurate though.

Just saying if you have lower signal then it may drop out a little sooner. How much will also depend on the model of phone or sat nav you are using I guess, whether that uses mobile data to substitute location info, has an external antenna....

Using the word 'cripple' was a dramatisation. And I think we probably really confused the OT. :D

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline sadsac

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 10 November 2017, 22:16 »
That was me this morning at -1 deg.Trusted it to come on automatically when i pressed the screen demist button.Which it did.I'd say it comes on automatically about 90% of the time.It is so quick- it soon becomes obvious when you have to switch to manual.I notice it stays on if you don't switch it off again (on manual).
Bit like the heated mirrors which i always forget to switch off.I wish there was a warning on the dash for them!.

The heated windscreen does switch off automatically, even if you switch it on manually

The heated mirrors go off too, after 10 minutes from memory

Not sure if anything has changed with mk7.5's tho
2016 GTD DSG deep black pearl discover pro dynaudio climate windscreen adv tel prep parking pack

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 10 November 2017, 22:36 »
Bit like the heated mirrors which i always forget to switch off.I wish there was a warning on the dash for them!.

Is there any reason to switch either off?

Ok, so the current drain will (marginally) effect your fuel consumption but its not going to melt and catch fire like those stick on demisting things we used to have last century.

I drive around with my heated mirrors on most of the time. It helps keep them clear of spray as well as ice. No fires to report yet.

Must be the tight fisted Scotsman in me coming out. :laugh:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 10 November 2017, 22:50 »
So what’s the general consensus on the automatic activation then?

Should it come on when temperature is below a certain level?

Or do I need to press the max front windscreen blower button and it will come on with that?

Used it for the first time this last week or so. The manual button on the display definitely works just wondering under what conditions it will automatically activate?

Reading my handbook tonight after 2 years of ownership!.It says it only truly activates automatically (no buttons pushed anywhere) 'if the automatic window fogging detection system detects that a window could mist up'.So i guess the way forward is to have it set to come on automatically and press the max demist button which you would do anyway.For a 'belt and braces' approach (as sometimes happens) you have to go into the menu and touch the symbol to start it.
 I've never had my front screen mist up whilst driving so i guess the heater must be kicking in silently in the background as i drive.Nice touch.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2017, 22:53 by Restlessnative »

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 10 November 2017, 22:59 »
That was me this morning at -1 deg.Trusted it to come on automatically when i pressed the screen demist button.Which it did.I'd say it comes on automatically about 90% of the time.It is so quick- it soon becomes obvious when you have to switch to manual.I notice it stays on if you don't switch it off again (on manual).

The heated windscreen does switch off automatically, even if you switch it on manually

The heated mirrors go off too, after 10 minutes from memory

Not sure if anything has changed with mk7.5's tho

Some more quotes from my handbook which this thread made me want to read up on it!.

Heated windscreen:'Switches off automatically depending on the outside temp or after a max of 8 mins'.

Heated Mirrors:'Heat at max for approx 2 mins then they adjust according to outside temp'.

I think i'll get my Highlighter out for all of the useful stuff in a book with 450 pages!. :undecided:

Offline gti_travels

• Just got here
« Reply #35 on: 13 November 2017, 19:52 »
Not had chance to test it in the cold yet but do like how tinted my climate windscreen looks  :cool: :cool:
2017 5dr Indium Grey DSG GTI, 19" Santiago