Author Topic: Active Info Display  (Read 31227 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Active Info Display
« Reply #30 on: 05 June 2017, 15:21 »
Is it likely that the AID content on the 7.5 could evolve through software updates as cars go in for service?

It's just a display, so they could add things like coloured needles etc pretty easily in my opinion.

They *could* but they won't.

In the same way as the MIB unit could be enhanced through software with new features, but you are lucky to get bug fixes.

I've said it before, car manufacturers see software in such an outdated way. Despite spending hundreds, if not thousands of pounds on an in car computer system, you get nothing more than you were delivered until you pay the same money again for a new car.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 05 June 2017, 15:38 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27hM1CO7AL4

Just found that on a quick youtube search, it is a few months old and shows a golf with the active info display, its in German and not a GTI from looking at the comments below, but they manage to have the 'full' needle showing, is this not possible on the UK spec active info displays?
That's the 'Classic' view that has been mentioned a few times as missing from the GTI.

Yes it has been ditched on the R also, how very dare they! Guess it'll be on the FL Mk7.75 :smiley:
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 05 June 2017, 21:43 »
Lets hope they are reliable because I would  imagine they will not be cheap to repair or replace.
On the contrary, an LCD screen is far cheaper than a pod of mechanical needles. All the brains are in the sensors and signals that come into the display.

Standard GTI Dials - £806.71 inc VAT
Active Display       - £1442.30 inc VAT
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 06 June 2017, 08:22 »
Lets hope they are reliable because I would  imagine they will not be cheap to repair or replace.
On the contrary, an LCD screen is far cheaper than a pod of mechanical needles. All the brains are in the sensors and signals that come into the display.

It is just like paying extra on some cars for alcantara, they charge extra for one of the cheapest materials to buy. Just because they charge more for it doesn't mean it cost them more to have made/make.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #34 on: 06 June 2017, 09:40 »

It is just like paying extra on some cars for alcantara, they charge extra for one of the cheapest materials to buy. Just because they charge more for it doesn't mean it cost them more to have made/make.
To be fair, the quoted prices piss all over my chips so I hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.
I do stand by my comment however that in pure parts costs an LCD screen is cheaper than mechanical needles (and should be just as, if not more reliable).
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 09 June 2017, 20:10 »
They will be significantly cheaper to produce yet because they are the "IN" thing they will have a premium piled on top of them. Just like the Apple products, you are paying for bragging rights.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 09 June 2017, 22:23 »
They will be significantly cheaper to produce yet because they are the "IN" thing they will have a premium piled on top of them. Just like the Apple products, you are paying for bragging rights.

You aren't just paying for cost price of part with a percentage of markup, you'll be paying for all the R&D that's gone into the AID including cost for machines to produce etc.. and then a big fat markup from VW.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #37 on: 10 June 2017, 09:50 »
Plus the price of spares is totally different to the price VW paid to build the car with it.

That's bleedin' obvious when you've pranged a car and discover that half a dozen minor bits is something like 10% of the new price of the car...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #38 on: 12 June 2017, 11:21 »
If you are considering as option. Make your own minds up, I think way more readable information than analogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJRL7-FX9Uw&app=desktop
« Last Edit: 12 June 2017, 19:29 by CHB100 »
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 12 June 2017, 11:43 »
If you are considering as option. Make your own minds up, I think way more readable information analogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJRL7-FX9Uw&app=desktop

Depends on what you class as readable.
I'd have to switch to google translate in apps connect to work out what an "aktywyny" was, so that immediately would involve me pulling over into a layby. And what's a km/h? Is that one of those pre-Brexit type measurements that are now officially redundant?  :lipsrsealed:  :grin:

In all seriousness, you have a split second or so in fast driving to look down and get your information and in that screen there's too much information in the same colour to be able to pick out things clearly enough. I know modern cars are designed to be automatics but if you're still driving with a proper gearbox then you need to be able to see exactly what revs you're at very quickly to match a gear up. Some coloured needles are needed at the very least. In some of the active dashboards I've seen the background is slightly bluish and the needles white and that looks a lot easier to read when you only have a very short space of time to take your eyes off the road. It's almost like an information overkill to get the most amount of semi-useless information in front of the driver. Leave that for the Kia and Hyundai buyers to make them think they're getting better value for money by having as much electronics as possible stuffed into their cars/SUV's.

Take an airport x-ray screener for example, these people have approximately 5 seconds to decipher amongst the deodorants, iPods, hairdryers, phone chargers and associated holiday necessities whether there's a bomb disguised as everyday items in a suitcase. Would they be able to distinguish everything in split seconds if the screen was all one colour?
Coloured needles would be a lot easier and quicker to read IMO, and some slightly nicer graphics for the dials themselves would look nice for when you're stuck in a traffic jam and have nothing more to do than admire the tail-lights of the car in front and look at your own dials and gauges... just in cast you're listening VW ahead of the mk8 launch...  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner