Author Topic: a quick question  (Read 1608 times)

Offline beattiemk1

• Not said much yet
a quick question
« on: 31 August 2004, 18:27 »
i have a mk1 golf with a 1.1 engine, if i fitted a 2.0 8v on twin 45 carbs would i need to fit a gti fuel tank and pump?

Offline jimbo

• GTI forum regular
Re: a quick question
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2004, 19:23 »
thats a good question matey. thats got me thinking :-\
i would of said that you would only need to fit an uprated fuel pump as you are running carbs and they dont need the high psi as injection does........
try and get a beetle cros flow head if you want to stay 8v as these make the job a lot easier and better performance.

aye up me duck!

Offline Rob mk1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2004, 21:42 »
I think the 1.1 golf has differently posistioned engine mounts making the job alot harder.

Offline beattiemk1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2004, 22:12 »
So you recon i would get away with it? what kind of feul pump would i need like?

Engine mounts are takin care of already!

Offline beattiemk1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2004, 22:38 »
also would it be any different to fit a 2.0 16v on twin carbs?

Offline jimbo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2004, 23:09 »
if you went for the 2.0ltr 16v on carbs the job would be sooooooooooo much easier!
Firstly its a cross flow so the carbs get nice cold air directly from the front of the car with no exhaust manifold heat warming it up.
Secondly its a common engine in std. a lot easier to source than the 8v cross flow. so there is lots of tunning bits n bobs.
Thirdly it would sound fanfappingtastic! induction of the carbs and the roar of the zorst. plus all that power and torque in an ickle mk1! luvvly jubbly!

I think you would need a "pace" fuel pump as i think that is the make of pump i have seen on simlier conversions.

aye up me duck!

Offline beattiemk1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2004, 12:03 »
so i'd just need an uprated fuel pump? what about an ecu, do i need 1 of them?

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2004, 12:09 »
i think engine management on carbs would be taking the conversion a little far  ;)

Offline beattiemk1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2004, 13:49 »
i was just asking cause i read something about it on club gti

Offline jimbo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2004, 11:00 »
i dont know alot about the 16v engine in depth but as i understand it. the fuel injection was mechanical and there was a timing module to help make every thing tikity boo, but not as i would describe an ecu. to me an ecu is a box of tricks that controls all of the engine, i.e timing, fuel,injectors,boost and the like.

i would check the web and some magazines as i have seen this conversion done before so there must be loads of info out there. but if you keep asking questions here we will try to help you as best we can ;D

aye up me duck!