Author Topic: jeremybarker - 8v GTI restoration  (Read 11387 times)

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
Re: jeremybarker - 8v GTI restoration
« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2010, 21:08 »
Well I managed to win a spare grille from Ebay for only £10 and the best bit was it still had the MK2 GTI badge on it so i can now get the MK1 badge off and back to how it should be. I'll also be taking the metal panel at the bottom of the grille and repainting it white to replace mine which has a few stone chips on it.

Making up for lost time

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2010, 19:25 »
Lovely work.

The more white 5drs we can keep on the road the better.

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2010, 22:54 »
Too right, i think they look crisp in white, once i've got the other bits of body work done it'll be looking good.

Making up for lost time

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 01 November 2010, 21:09 »
A good friend is giving me these to fit on my MK2 along with some various other stuff and all for free.

Just need to pick them up now and i can get them fitted with my newly re-furbed wheels.

Making up for lost time

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2010, 22:08 »
There's a few bits of corrosion on the body of the Golf that ideally i want to sort before the winter and bad weather kicks in so i after being fairly successful in blending a rattle can on the rear inner sill i've got enough confidence to have a shot at some of the exterior panels.

The worst areas are the rear panel and a couple of bits on the rear of the quaters near the seam line, the front scuttle around the wiper, the bottom of the offside front and rear doors and also the bottom edge of the tailgate. Doing this now should save the panels from becoming useless and will do until it gets a body off re-paint. There's also a very tasty dent in the drivers door which i was going to replace but seeing as i'm in the zone i'm going to hone my filler skills and try to repair it.

First off is the rear panel, there were a few nasty bits that a previous owner had daubed some touch in paint on, a nasty scab developing near the light cluster. On starting the job it soon turned into finding more blemishes, two scratches and also the mastic under the rear lights was looking dirty and not very nice so I therefore decided it would be best to do the whole panel and whilst i was here i also removed the scab forming on the back of the rear quater panel next to the edge of the rear panel plus on the other side the laquer was peeling ever so slightly from a previous paint job. Think thats about it so here goes nothing,

Panel sanded back and treated with Krust

This was the nasty scab near the light, i had to dig a flat blade screw driver to get as much out as possible.

All primered up and the rubbing back process underway

Paint now on

And that's where it stopped as i ran out of paint so. It did pick up a couple of tiny fibres in the finsh so it'll be flatted back a bit and given the final top coat before it's lacquered and hopefully this will look a whole heap better than before.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2010, 22:14 by jeremybarker »

Making up for lost time

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 03 November 2010, 12:04 »
I reckon it would be cheaper to negotiate a deal with halfords on Alpine white paint.

Finally finished, painted again and lacquered though i'll be leaving until the weekend before i cut it back and polish up to a good shine. I did decide to goone step further and paint the light bowls and blend them up into the rear boot aperture as it would have bugged me leaving them dirty.

All in all i'm pleased with the result and my masking off was a success as it's blended perfectly into the rear quarter panels and no overspray anywhere  :grin:

I've dry fitted the rear lights and it's smartened it up a treat

Just need to treat it to some nice new badges now.

Making up for lost time

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 09 November 2010, 12:17 »
The rear GTI badge is now obsolete so in the end i decided to go all black, the decision made itself as i thought i'd try to clean the front GTI badge and the chrome just starting wiping off so black it went, think it would definately suit some gunmetal Sebrings now  :smiley:

Only slight issue is that after the heavy rain last night the car turns over but won't start  :rolleyes:

Making up for lost time